996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1/4 mile on pump gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
1/4 mile on pump gas

I see all these cars doing their 1/4 mile runs on race gas, no cat's etc. Has anyone logged these cars doing runs on pump gas and made a list of it anywhere?

IMO, race gas is fine, but not likely to be there when you need unless you happen to have a fuel truck follow you. So the real world is pump gas. I would like to see all these fast cars run in real world applications with pump gas.

So if anyone has these real times can you post them, I'd like to see where these cars stand on the basis of their kits on pump vs race gas.
thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I ran a 11.50 @ 130 with a 2.1 60ft (I stalled the car on the launch almost) on 17psi (which is my pump gas setting). I think if the launch would have worked, I left PSM on thats why the car almost stalled, I would have picked up another few mph or so.

I know now it'll run even better since I have a bigger set of turbos.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
excellent trap speed on pump gas. thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Pump gas two and a half years ago at E-town. Evo GT700
http://media.putfile.com/EVO-GT-700-10-SEC-PASS

Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Joe,

How can you make enough power on a GT700 kit on pump gas (in other words
how can you run enough boost to create enough HP)?
This seems difficult to accomplish since the BEST GT700 time is not any better??

MK

Old 10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Marty,

I assure you that was a pump gas run and through the cats with straight pipes(fabspeed).It was about 65 degrees that day and it was run at E-town(good elevation and great track prep) which dead hooked.I don't know what else to tell ya.There is a big difference running in AZ (at elevation)and NJ at sea level.My car never had a drop of race fuel in it until it arrived at Evo.I am 100% confident it can be done again if given a strong running Gt700 on pump gas.Remember there are a few full weight Gt700's that trapped 138 on race fuel in AZ.....I even think you witnessed one of them first hand.I don't see why this pass would be so hard to believe.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I think it's unsafe to run pump gas only especially when running any tuned car hard... so at least a mix makes sense... I call it safe insurance...
As far as pump vs race gas... it all depends on the tuner and the set up.... Most turbocharged cars can run more boost with better octane... with that said it only makes sense to do so especially when it cheap insurance against detonation.
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
This seems difficult to accomplish since the BEST GT700 time is not any better??

MK
E.T.is driver......mph is car.I have run a 10.55 @135 when my car was a gt800 in AZ.I have seen several GT700's trap better than my car on race fuel.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Joe,
(in other words
how can you run enough boost to create enough HP)?

MK
The dash boost gauge read 1.2bar and spiked on spool to 1.4 but would settle to 1.2.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Joe, thanks, do you and Powell have comparative race gas runs. How much do you loose by going to pump gas?

Markiski, I disagree. If you have good tuning, there is no reason why you can't run pump gas and unless your car stays in your neighborhood, you are likely to get into a street war at any time and maybe far from home and you don't carry a gasoline tanker truck behind you.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Joe, thanks, do you and Powell have comparative race gas runs. How much do you loose by going to pump gas?

Markiski, I disagree. If you have good tuning, there is no reason why you can't run pump gas and unless your car stays in your neighborhood, you are likely to get into a street war at any time and maybe far from home and you don't carry a gasoline tanker truck behind you.
maybe you misunderstood me...
I run .8 bars on pump al day long... so I can drive acroos country if I want to..
the question you asked was soemthing about running pump vs race at the strip.... my point was/is that that if ur running at the track why not run a little safer by putting in some unleaded race gas to keep the heads cool... safer
Now if your talking about running stock K16s with a ecu chip and a exhaust... I agree with you... no need for race gas... but for those pushing over 550 rwhp I would strongly recommend to be on the safe side bu putting in some better octane or at least mixing it with pump when ur running harder on it...
BTW, I have 3 times the HP then a stock 996TT so I'm speaking from a different point of view...

click to view

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
maybe you misunderstood me...
I run .8 bars on pump al day long... so I can drive acroos country if I want to..
the question you asked was soemthing about running pump vs race at the strip.... my point was/is that that if ur running at the track why not run a little safer by putting in some unleaded race gas to keep the heads cool... safer
Now if your talking about running stock K16s with a ecu chip and a exhaust... I agree with you... no need for race gas... but for those pushing over 550 rwhp I would strongly recommend to be on the safe side bu putting in some better octane or at least mixing it with pump when ur running harder on it...
BTW, I have 3 times the HP then a stock 996TT so I'm speaking from a different point of view...
I see your point, but regardless of what power level you are at, except for stock K16's of course, you still live day to day with pump gas. That is the real file and what you should be comparing to other cars. Have you run your car on pump gas? I'd bet you could still crank a healthy time and speed. and that would be more realistic is my opinion

Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Prche951
That is the real file and what you should be comparing to other cars. Have you run your car on pump gas? I'd bet you could still crank a healthy time and speed. and that would be more realistic is my opinion
Ok but thats not fair becasue other cars like vettes , vipers etc that are turbocharged or supercharged need only to run 10 psi to make the HP levels that we do running 25 psi.... and they do it on pump gas with twice the displacement... we cant compete unless we turn up the boost and the only way to do that is with better fuel...

click to view

Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
It would be nice to see some pump times (93-ish to be safe) and compare to supercars.

Hey Markski how many shifts in that 4.78 60-130? Awesome!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by SamboTT
It would be nice to see some pump times (93-ish to be safe) and compare to supercars.

Hey Markski how many shifts in that 4.78 60-130? Awesome!
2 shifts... well actually 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4rth...
I have a little more on tap now so hoppefully within a week Il lhave some new numbers

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile on pump gas