996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

H&R vs PSS10 coil overs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 AM
rdf16 will become famous soon enoughrdf16 will become famous soon enough
H&R vs PSS10 coil overs

About to upgrade my suspension, 05 Turbo S, and was wondering if
anybody out there had experience with both or words for either. Had
PSS9s on a Speedster and liked them, much better than stock. Also
have had Motons on my Viper, very nice but a bit harsh on normal roads.
Not a track car, just want it a little lower and more control in the
mountains.

RD

Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Brian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really nice
Originally Posted by rdf16
About to upgrade my suspension, 05 Turbo S, and was wondering if
anybody out there had experience with both or words for either. Had
PSS9s on a Speedster and liked them, much better than stock. Also
have had Motons on my Viper, very nice but a bit harsh on normal roads.
Not a track car, just want it a little lower and more control in the
mountains.

RD
RD,

My vote is for PSS9/10's in most applications especially when it comes to the Porsche 996. I have guys that run 9's on the street and then do track events almost every weekend aand all they have to do is twist the ****. If you want, PM me your zipcode and I can put a shipped price together for you.

Moton's also kick some serious a$$ however they are going to be some money so it is up to you. Give me a budget and we can go from there.

Brian

Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
BMWERKEN is on a distinguished road
I agree, PSS9s are the way to go. They are much easier to adjust in terms of just flipping a **** and offer all of the flexibility of ride height and dampening adjustment. H&R makes a solid product as well but for the sheer ease of adjustment, the PSS9s take the cake. I would also look into JIC Cross and KW Coilovers as alternatives.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Brian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really nice
I just checked with my Bilstein rep and here is the deal... PSS9's have been discontinued for this car and PSS10's will be out in the beginning of 09. I already have part#'s and msrp pricing so I can take pre-orders after price is determined via PM's. JIC and KW are also good examples of suspensions available of which I am a dealer for them as well so whatever you are after, let me know, thanks and have a great weekend.

Brian

Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I have PSS9's on my car. If you only want it for the street, they are very good. If you want to do DE's, then they are good there also but the limitation with PSS9's or 10's is the limited amount that you can lower them {1 1/2 inches} and the springs are more for street than track. For the street, it's a good compromise because you don't scrap anything under normal everyday road conditions plus the car no longer has that SUV look. You do need to be careful with speed bumps and sloping driveways though. I cannot address the H&R's as I have no experience with them. JIC's have much to offer and I've never heard anything but good reports about the KW's, but you can't go wrong with PSS10's for your street car.

Last edited by landjet; 11-14-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 PM
dublinoh will become famous soon enoughdublinoh will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by landjet
I have PSS9's on my car. If you only want it for the street, they are very good. If you want to do DE's, then they are good there also but the limitation with PSS9's or 10's is the limited amount that you can lower them {1 1/2 inches} and the springs are more for street than track. For the street, it's a good compromise because you don't scrap anything under normal everyday road conditions plus the car no longer has that SUV look. You do need to be careful with speed bumps and sloping driveways though. I cannot address the H&R's as I have no experience with them. JIC's have much to offer and I've never heard anything but good reports about the KW's, but you can't go wrong with PSS10's for your street car.
My experience also +1

Old 11-14-2008, 05:56 PM
msligar is on a distinguished road
PSS9 vs. H&R

When I bought my car it had H&R lowering springs on it and I while it sat really nice it did not handle well at all. It seemed like in high speed corners it would really wallow back and forth. About 6 months ago I installed a set of JIC coilovers and it is night and day. With the right alignment the car handles like it is on rails now and is rock steady in the corners. I would say go for the coilovers! Good luck

Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
I have the pss10's on my car and love them, we have also installed a few other sets on 996tt's.

Chris Green

Old 11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned
speedwerks will become famous soon enoughspeedwerks will become famous soon enough
I installed the H&Rs back in the day when there was nothing else on the market. They have been good for street and track use. I have experienced some spring sag. They are currently set at their max HIGH ride height, and the car is still very low. I have trouble transitioning off of high banks onto the infields at some tracks, and I get inner and outer wheel well rubbing with my GT2 wheels. Also, these are non-adjustable WRT shock valving. I have talked at length with Bilstein engineers, and the PSS10 is great state-of-the-art technology, for steet/occasional track application.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM
After talking with a local suspension guy it looks like I might be going with
H&R Street Performance coil over, 1.0 to 2.25 adjustable ride height. 3k
installed. He and the H&R guy said that the adjustable valving on the
PSS10 was more gimic than anything. And he sells all systems. Imputs?

RD

Last edited by rdf16; 11-19-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Sounds to me like he may not have any pss10's to sell you. I turn mine all the way one way and the car rides like a caddy. I turn it all the way opposite and it's hard as a rock. I prefer the 10's for sure I track the car occasionaly and picked mine up for around $2,400 shipped to my door.

H&R's are on my turbo S cab. Not a track car for me at all just looks. The were more like $400. Car looks great but no comparison to the handeling b/t the two. Then again for 2k I hope to see that. Keep in mind which ever way you go you will likely pay $300 labor,$250 allign, possible corner balance with coilovers anothere $200ish. If I could do over I would have just put the 10's on both cars but I was on a budget with 2 pcars.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by hollywood996tts
Sounds to me like he may not have any pss10's to sell you. I turn mine all the way one way and the car rides like a caddy. I turn it all the way opposite and it's hard as a rock. I prefer the 10's for sure I track the car occasionaly and picked mine up for around $2,400 shipped to my door.

H&R's are on my turbo S cab. Not a track car for me at all just looks. The were more like $400. Car looks great but no comparison to the handeling b/t the two. Then again for 2k I hope to see that. Keep in mind which ever way you go you will likely pay $300 labor,$250 allign, possible corner balance with coilovers anothere $200ish. If I could do over I would have just put the 10's on both cars but I was on a budget with 2 pcars.

H&R coilovers, not just springs. PSS 9/10s use H&R springs but I don't
know much about their coilovers.

RD

Old 11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Went through the same thought process. I picked PSS 10's - ease of price and adjustment. Get some adjustable sway bars to go along with them. This is a nice street combo and will cost less than $3,500 installed. If you plan to track the car, you'll need motons, rear dog bones, adjustable rear toe links, thust bushings, GT2 front control arms and a big check book.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:35 PM
calfrank is on a distinguished road
I'm running H&R Coilovers and I'm very happy with them. People tend to prefer PSS9/10's. Just a matter of preference.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by calfrank
I'm running H&R Coilovers and I'm very happy with them. People tend to prefer PSS9/10's. Just a matter of preference.

Any issues with ride quality on the street? How low did you go? The guy
I'm dealing with said something about the, pardon the pun, shaft length
of the PSS 9/10 being an issue and that the adjustable valving was not
meant for ride quality but for cornering issues and that the springs had
more to do with the ride.

RD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R vs PSS10 coil overs