996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why did you switch back from RWD to AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
That is good that you have tons of disposable cash on hand to do such a conversion. I don't.
I would think one of the points of this forum was to find out what has and has not worked and to share info and experience right?
I like handling and so far it seems that the straight line crowd likes it and some of the track crowd do not seem so high on it?
As you point out, you've just joined the forum this past April. Colorinc has been around for a good while and been thru and knows a bunch about these cars. I don't think your assumption that he has tons of cash to throw away is very positive.

Take a look at the threads in the past. This has been beat to death. You won't get anywhere with this topic.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
AWD saved my rear !!! Cant really get into details...but honestly... if you drive hard and arent a pro driver....keep it! Might save you...and the car of course.. even if its one time it saves the day from a wobble.... That one time was well worth the AWD!!! if you interested in the performace factor...take it out when you know you going to run the car... I understand its not that complicated....

Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
+1...I had a 930 (RWD) with lots of hp...it was scary to drive. Of course this is very subjective, but I think folks who say the RWD handles better were just used to driving RWD before...I can not understand how it could handle better than just RWD (all other things being equal). I suppose for track gurus, it is fine, but since I am a hack I love the AWD!

BTW, being on this board for a long time is meaningless....I know plenty of guys never on this board that know more than most on this board....FWIW

Old 12-01-2008, 12:13 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I agree with DMaffo and Wross. The AWD with PSM are a huge safety factor and if removed the car has to be treated with a healthy dose of respect at all times. A single lapse in good judgement could easily mean hitting a wall or ending up in the woods. With AWD and PSM in place, quite the opposite is true - you can hammer on the car in practically all weather conditions and remain very protected from poor judgement that would otherwise leave you "off road". That said, drivers with a lot of RWD track experience are at a great advantage, but for the average driver, just be aware of the changes, especially on a modded car with 600 or more HP. It's much easier to lose it in RWD, especially in the rain.

Last edited by John D; 12-01-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the positive responses to the original question. Bill, I know we talked about it and I have driven a 930 hard as well and it was scary, if going RWD is anything like that keeping the AWD is definitely a plus.

Txgold, I guess one can consider a subject beat to death when peoples opinions, likes and dislikes never change. However, as I already stated, peoples opinions have changed as evidenced above and a few others who have not posted. I guess using your logic, the topic of Turbos, tuning, exhausts should never come up since they have been discussed a zillion times in the past. 1 dimensional.

and if you read the title of this thread, it was directed at those that have switched back to AWD, because there are several that have in the last year, well after the threads you reference. However, I do value others opinions and am glad most have responded in one direction or another, more food for thought.

As for removing axle and trying it. I am sure that without doing the complete conversion you really cannot tell what it will be like as you have not lost all the weight in front, which I believe is one of the main issues.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
also you don't have LSD and yet you get traction with only one wheel drive basically? Would seem to me that this setup is the worst of all worlds, no awd and no LSD? I would think you would need one or the other.
In a front engine car, sure. But look at all the guys with big power hooking fine without LSD. Some of them have LSD but most do not from what I see. The motor over the rear axle really is huge.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
In a front engine car, sure. But look at all the guys with big power hooking fine without LSD. Some of them have LSD but most do not from what I see. The motor over the rear axle really is huge.
very true, one big advantage to rear engine. LSD must be very costly to not want to do.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I agree with John here and all the guys that have experience. In RWD mode in the canyon I went againt the wall last year. I have had RWD cars before and had a race bike too. After my crash, there is no way I'll be touching the front diff again. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by John D
I agree with DMaffo and Wross. The AWD with PSM are a huge safety factor and if removed the car has to be treated with a healthy dose of respect at all times. A single lapse in good judgement could easily mean hitting a wall or ending up in the woods. With AWD and PSM in place, quite the opposite is true - you can hammer on the car in practically all weather conditions and remain very protected from poor judgement that would otherwise leave you "off road". That said, drivers with a lot of RWD track experience are at a great advantage, but for the average driver, just be aware of the changes, especially on a modded car with 600 or more HP. It's much easier to lose it in RWD, especially in the rain.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I thought 993tt's were AWD as well?

Originally Posted by art4iza
there is a lot more to going rwd than just words. there was a thread about this long time ago. everyone has their ups and downs, it is a personal matter. i just took out the front diff to see the feel of it. car was definately fun with rwd feel and a nice 993TT feel to it. i went back to awd, safer for me.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Just wondering as I think there are a few of you who have switched back from RWD to AWD and why you did it? Did loosing a 140 lbs from the front drastically affect handling? I am eventually going to run into this issue and wonder what disadvantages there are to going to RWD.
didnt and wont. but remember my car was (at least I think) converted fully. all parts removed and Guard LSD 50/80 lock up. also threw in a tranny cooler. car handles like a proper Cup car at the track.
yes the weight needs to be balanced and again I speak from someone who wanted a race car and Cup car killer on the track, took the exhaust and rear bumper off.

as for saftey. no question that AWD and PSM is the safest setup and I recommend all you guys keep it and use it no question!! I do not use my car for "spirited caynon runs or street stuff" it is a dedicated track appliance. no I wouldnt go whipping around on the streets in the rain with this car. yes I do drive it at Daytona in the rain at 160mph+. I assume everyone sees and knows the difference. so again alot of somewhat disagreement from all of us on the same side cause we all use our cars for different things, have different likes, and most importantly have different skills and experiences.
the biggest problem with this topic is that apples to apples comparisons are far and few between.

my comments on RWD are based on a track weapon done properly (I think) on race tires at a race track so my comparo would vary from many others. althought I am glad to see I think more and more guys enjoying their car at the track or strip I still think the great majority of people on this forum love to enjoy their car on the street and that is GREAT and what it really is all about. so to each his own.

as for the "handling" comments. in my opinion if again driving AT THE TRACK I have no use for PSM and I can not trail brake, throttle steer, slide, or rotate my car in the AWD configuration. Is it scarier and more difficult to drive my car the way it is now??? yes. is it more responsive, faster lap times and more rewarding? a resounding YES.

This to me is still a very interesting topic because so many of us have so many variations and so many stories to share that is what makes this forum great and I for one still enjoy all of it.

tom

Last edited by tom kerr; 12-01-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I have a fairly conservative opinion on this, basically Porsche designed this car for AWD, it was balanced for it and the DME program (and probably mechanicals) are "looking" for AWD. Like most of us, I drive fairly hard on imperfect roads with imperfect conditions (water, dirt, uneveness etc). I'll sacrifice a half second of 60-130 time for the safety and stability of AWD, like another poster, it has saved my *** as well (exactly why I wanted the 996tt).

However I would be interested to hear from someone who did the RWD conversion (mechanicals etc) and using the GT2 DME base program (less drivers aids, not looking for AWD etc).

Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have had a 76 930 modded and a 86t modded it's kinda nice not to have to think so much on the twesties when i wanna slow down i can now let off the gas and the nose grabs what a concept . the 01 is still fun to drive and can break em lose in 2nd (perfect)on hard acc

Old 12-02-2008, 05:29 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
its about 70 lbs , notwhere near 100lbs

and as far as going back, i would never go back ..

car responds so much quicker... i feel more connected to the road, also
i like to get the car sideways in 1st and 2nd, and have the traction light blink in 3rd gear

it makes me feel better about myself

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 AM
I wasn't trying to make this a "which is better" thread. I know there are differing opinions and what I see makes perfect sense. D33PBLUE has had a near death experience in which AWD did save him

Tom, did you do the LSD, how did the handling change after the conversion you did. Seems like the complete conversion is the way to go if you are going to do it.

Steve K, I like your reasoning, spinning tires in 3rd is always a fun thing

art, I did not know you had put the car into the wall. ouch. glad your ok.
Dennis

Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I think the "which is better" theme is really sort of subjective. It comes down to what is the intended purpose of your car and your skill set. I had a high hp 86,930 and it could be a handful sometimes. Although I thought it was a lot of fun I think for the majority of us that aren't tracking the car heavily or doing a lot of 1/4 shots the awd with PSM is a good idea. This is only my opinion. I have never driven a rwd 996tt only a 930.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did you switch back from RWD to AWD