996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why did you switch back from RWD to AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Why did you switch back from RWD to AWD

Just wondering as I think there are a few of you who have switched back from RWD to AWD and why you did it? Did loosing a 140 lbs from the front drastically affect handling? I am eventually going to run into this issue and wonder what disadvantages there are to going to RWD.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Just wondering as I think there are a few of you who have switched back from RWD to AWD and why you did it? Did loosing a 140 lbs from the front drastically affect handling? I am eventually going to run into this issue and wonder what disadvantages there are to going to RWD.
I think it's more like a 72 lbs savings or close to that. Mine had it done before I bought it so I don't know anything different!

Interesting to hear the responses on this though.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
not going back to awd anytime soon....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-30-2008, 09:04 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
1/4 mile and true straight-line guys surely would prefer RWD.

I think the only guys I have seen go back are more track/road course oriented.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
not going back to awd anytime soon....
markski... im thinking of converting to RWD you like it,yes?
tim

Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
there is a lot more to going rwd than just words. there was a thread about this long time ago. everyone has their ups and downs, it is a personal matter. i just took out the front diff to see the feel of it. car was definately fun with rwd feel and a nice 993TT feel to it. i went back to awd, safer for me.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
there is a lot more to going rwd than just words. there was a thread about this long time ago. everyone has their ups and downs, it is a personal matter. i just took out the front diff to see the feel of it. car was definitely fun with rwd feel and a nice 993TT feel to it. i went back to awd, safer for me.

makes sense, I did search, but it was only a year ago that most of the people that switched back to AWD, were interested in going to RWD, so those old threads do not apply. You yourself are an example. You have only been on this forum a year, not much time really. Again, that is why I ask. A year ago, everyone was high on the conversion, now it seems that some don't like it.

In fact it almost seems like some of the guys that track don't like the RWD and the straight line blasters do like it, just my observations, hence why I asked this.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I like RWD a lot. I don't track but I do love twisties and I think the handling is a lot better now. The straight line benefit is obvious. I dropped my 60-130 time from a 9.22 to a 8.40 by switching. I won't be switching back. I'm having way to much fun to dumb the car down again. To me it would be like putting the stock flash back on.

On the other hand, the car would benefit from a LSD. The costs is prohibitive to me, otherwise I would do so. The LSD would clearly help with both straight line and twisties.

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by TXGold
I like RWD a lot. I don't track but I do love twisties and I think the handling is a lot better now. The straight line benefit is obvious. I dropped my 60-130 time from a 9.22 to a 8.40 by switching. I won't be switching back. I'm having way to much fun to dumb the car down again. To me it would be like putting the stock flash back on.

On the other hand, the car would benefit from a LSD. The costs is prohibitive to me, otherwise I would do so. The LSD would clearly help with both straight line and twisties.

Good luck!
so loosing all that weight in the very front of the car did not negatively impact handling? interesting? how did you compensate for the lighter front end? take weight from the rear somehow? also you don't have LSD and yet you get traction with only one wheel drive basically? Would seem to me that this setup is the worst of all worlds, no awd and no LSD? I would think you would need one or the other.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
so loosing all that weight in the very front of the car did not negatively impact handling? interesting? how did you compensate for the lighter front end? take weight from the rear somehow? also you don't have LSD and yet you get traction with only one wheel drive basically? Would seem to me that this setup is the worst of all worlds, no awd and no LSD? I would think you would need one or the other.
it seems to work for him..give it a try and see how u like it

Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I only took out my front driveshaft and nearly put the car into the wall when I was at the 1/4 mile track. I talked to another forum sponsor who had the same thing happen with a customers car he was driving for the customer that had the driveshaft pulled. It could be because of the system freaking out but I dunno. It was a very scary ride thats for sure. Still went an 11.3 @ 130 letting out at the 1000ft

Although I know it would help out a ton, esp for me, to go RWD.. I just can't afford all the things that need to be done for the conversion. Plus I LOVE hooking up from 40mph rolls in 2nd gear on 19s LOL. The only traction problems I have had with the AWD was a hard launch that I had to peddle twice in 1st gear. As soon as I hit 2nd the car gripped and took off to a 135.7mph pass.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by colorinc
it seems to work for him..give it a try and see how u like it
That is good that you have tons of disposable cash on hand to do such a conversion. I don't.
I would think one of the points of this forum was to find out what has and has not worked and to share info and experience right?
I like handling and so far it seems that the straight line crowd likes it and some of the track crowd do not seem so high on it?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
It really depends on your suspension setup when it comes to RWD. I know the GT2 is often known as the widow-maker if you don't know how to handle the car. If you have been in a RWD drive car around a track it shouldn't be a problem. I know Tom Kerr went RWD in his road race car and I think he really likes it.

As far as trying it I know Ryan (TXGold) did his himself without a lift (I think). The only thing that would cost money is the suspension and corner balancing if you want to do the COMPLETE swap. Even if you don't like it at least you'll have the suspension.

If you have a lot of HP then I'd suggest getting a pair of 18" rims and drag radials because you're going to need them. I know I had trouble hooking the car up from 40mph in 2nd even on low boost.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
That is good that you have tons of disposable cash on hand to do such a conversion. I don't.
I would think one of the points of this forum was to find out what has and has not worked and to share info and experience right?
I like handling and so far it seems that the straight line crowd likes it and some of the track crowd do not seem so high on it?
sorry my bad... your post had no reference to how many$$... or where you were going to use the car... its easy to drop the drive shaft give it a shot see how you like it

Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Powell

If you have a lot of HP then I'd suggest getting a pair of 18" rims and drag radials because you're going to need them. I know I had trouble hooking the car up from 40mph in 2nd even on low boost.
sounds like fun

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did you switch back from RWD to AWD