996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Costco Gasoline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Costco Gasoline

I noticed at high boost I had a little ping in the engine. My indi asked me if I use Costco gas. He says he has issues often with people who use Costco gas. I don't know what they put in their fuel but apparently it can be hard on cylinders in high performance cars. He recommends the 76 gas stations. Has anyone else had these issues?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
i've heard similiar things about costco gas. I would imagine its similiar to arco quality gas.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 AM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
You might want to check out www.toptiergas.com there are some actual differences between different brands. In your area, Chevron, 76 and Shell should work well.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I use Costco periodically and have never had any pinging. I live in the Sacramento area, and most of the different stations get their fuels from the refinery in Vallejo, which I believe is a Chevron refinery....I asked the truck driver one day as he was filling the underground tank where he got his fuel...he said the refinery. Don't know what to tell you, but the info so far has been mostly hearsay. Any gas station can get a bad batch....or get some moisture in the tank that might give an engine some grief....but I don't know that a couple instances are grounds for an indictment of the Costco gas. Not trying to be argumentative and I have no stock in Costco....as a matter of fact most all of my stock went TU.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
There is no Costco gas....in that they do not own a refinery. They buy it from refineries. The labeling by brand is interesting since multiple brands come from the same refinery. Most brands do specify certain additives, but there is question as to whether or not they differentiate the brand. I have seen some biased data sets, but nothing like a real scientific study (unbiassed). Oh I agree with Chuck!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 AM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't it why they have top tier gasoline suppliers?

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
A fuel driver told me he puts the same gas in all the tanks except for Shell and BP up here and noted those are clearer looking..

Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Additionally, the State comes around on some sort of schedule and conducts flow tests on the pumps to ensure they're delivering a full gallon....and also take samples of the fuel for analysis. That's not to say that a bad batch couldn't have come in and been distributed in between testing....but as WROSS said...other than each company putting in their particular additive....they pretty much get all their gas from the same central point.

I would like to share a little bit of history. My dad was the General Sales manager of Standar Oil overseas back in the mid 50's thru 60's...specifically in the Philippines. Marketing and advertising between the main contenders was an ongoing thing with Cal-Tex (Texaco), Shell, and Mobil (flying red horse back then) being the only competitors. Shell had come out with a new "additive" called SX-1 or some such thing....and Mobil was losing sales because the folks were drawn to the advantage of buying a gasoline with this new and spiffy "additive". To compete, Mobil's think tank came up with the brilliant idea of adding a minute amount of kerosene to the mixture and calling it a "New and improved performance enhancing additive"....which brought them back into the marketplace as a competitor with Shell. The "new and improved additive" wasn't enough to affect any performance, but was enough to qualify as a "new additive"....thereby not affecting the integrity of the claim.

So insofar as all the additives are concerned....some may actually be beneficial....others may fall under what I call the Murine statute......"Eyewash".

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 01-16-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
It's my understanding that at the terminal where the fuel tankers get their load is where the various additive packs are added for the various brands. The refineries don't put in the additives. Some, like Chevron's Techron are well documented, others as noted in above posts are not.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
There is no Costco gas....in that they do not own a refinery. They buy it from refineries. The labeling by brand is interesting since multiple brands come from the same refinery. Most brands do specify certain additives, but there is question as to whether or not they differentiate the brand. I have seen some biased data sets, but nothing like a real scientific study (unbiassed). Oh I agree with Chuck!
+1... all gasoline are the same and probably pump from the same terminal locally. The top brands cost more due to the additive added. Most claimed that they have the best and more power, but no oil company can actually prove that.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I used to have a 1979 Chevy 4x4 w/350 and Kroger gas here would make it ping... No other station did... I think some of the generic gases are lower quality than the name brands... Probably varies by area...

That was 93 octane by the way..