996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hardwiring my radar detector, different approach??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Hardwiring my radar detector, different approach??

I went to hardwire in my Bel STi the other night and ran into a couple problems. I've been able to hardwire up all my previous cars straight into the fuse box, but with my 996tt it's been a little harder.

There are random write-ups i've found from guys on here and rennlist but none that quite answer my questions.

I tried to wire this setup into the fuse box down on the floor near the clutch pedal but none of the open slots are "hot." Not even with the ignition ON. I grounded the "ground" wire to a metal bolt near where the door hinges are on the driver's side - i think that'll work without a problem (i've done it on other cars in the past)... It's just that getting a live power source is proving more difficult than expected.

Should I take a different approach at it and go for the dome lights? It doesn't have the auto-dim mirror - which some use as a power source, but do you guys just think I should run the wires to the dome light area instead? Or have one of you figured out a nice "hot" source down below in the footwells? (That would be IDEAL)

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
I ended up piggy-backing the sunroof motor's power supply--it's hot when the ignition is on, and off when the car is off. I've got a V1 and used an invisicord.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Ok cool, I was thinking of doing something like that, do you remember which wire is hot? And did you just attach your ground wire into a spot on the metal in the roof inside the dome-light area?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Why not tap into the phone power line?

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albur30

Kirby's writeup...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Renegades
Ok cool, I was thinking of doing something like that, do you remember which wire is hot? And did you just attach your ground wire into a spot on the metal in the roof inside the dome-light area?

I want to say it was the green/brown striped wire, but I don't remember 100%--just use a volt meter set to check continuity--follow the instructions on this website: http://www.invisicord.com/install.html

I ended up grounding to the dome light harness.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
i did mine off sunroof wiring

Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
I also went the sunroof power supply route. It woorks great. I really like the fact that it's on and off with the ignition.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I hardwired my V1 today. I checked the write ups but they all seem to be on a 997 which is a little different up by the dome lights. I could not find a wire that would turn off with the ingnition off so I went for the motor wire for the sunroof. It was the brown wire with the yellow stripe. Works perfect. Comes on when the ignition is on and off when turned off. I stuffed the wiring up under the roof liner and there is barely enough room for the adapter. You will need to get the 18-22 guage spliter. If you know the right wire it is only a 20-30 minute job.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
I hardwired my V1 today. I checked the write ups but they all seem to be on a 997 which is a little different up by the dome lights. I could not find a wire that would turn off with the ingnition off so I went for the motor wire for the sunroof. It was the brown wire with the yellow stripe. Works perfect. Comes on when the ignition is on and off when turned off. I stuffed the wiring up under the roof liner and there is barely enough room for the adapter. You will need to get the 18-22 guage spliter. If you know the right wire it is only a 20-30 minute job.
Thanks EZ,
Now where did you attach the ground wire at? Sounds pretty straight forward at this point. This helps a lot

Old 01-28-2009, 08:00 PM
markporsche is on a distinguished road
i tapped into the phone power wire. No problems

Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I picked mine up behind the radio, probably a telephone wire:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lay-996tt.html

Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
I just had mine hardwired today -- I have zero skills -- and they used telephone wire since I did not have the hardwire kit from Valentine. Works just the same.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Use one of the screws that hold the dome light console. Try taping the ground clip over the screw hole then put the center console piece back on.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
I did exactly what EZ Cookin recommends, but make sure that you tighten it well. If not, without the ground securely in place the detector will not work.

I had followed the instructions on this link last year, but looks like it may not be working
http://www.geocities.com/porschecarrera996/

Best of luck, PM if you have any questions

Old 01-31-2009, 08:58 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I just did it tonight.

Pulled map light out. Spliced orange/black (positive) and brown (ground) going to mirror to a short cable found on the internet. No mess. Got the small self splice kit at radio shack for 2 dollars or so. Got two kits in case I messed things up.

Radio Shack Part: 64-037 (3 per package, you need two, I bought 2 pkgs....). You have to pull the male units apart to get the wires into them, etc. I leave it up to everyone's creativity there.

In terms of the wire, I got one from www.invisicord.com. You could do anything. I cut it....could have probably forced the flat pieces into the Tandy parts. I used hot glue after crimping to hold it all together for the long term.

Get the longer cord. Don't cut it too much. Use a zip-tye in the end to stabilize things. It all fit in my lamp area at ... really.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-01-2009 at 07:14 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hardwiring my radar detector, different approach??