996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT front grill screens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vividracing
smmm smmm smmm.... what is that smell?

I am on it. Thanks for the call.
You're welcome.

For the rest of you guys, Dan had some preliminary ideas for screen mounting and is moving forward. He'll post his progress on this thread.
If you're interested in this project, please chime in.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute

What we all want is grills that pop in just like the OEM slats do now, but that look like for lack of a better example, Aston Martin woven mesh, stainless (best, most costly) to just criss cross mesh (cheaper, again stainless).

Something that could be repaired or cheaply replaced would be a plus too...so if you hit something on track ....
Thanks!!!!

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-09-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
Dan at Vivid is probably the go to guy on this. If he smells money, he will make it. Probably hasn't been brought to his attention yet. Give him a call.
Thanks for the idea. Done.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I used a piece of 1/4" SS wire and fabricated the 3 pieces then tie wrapped them into place as did Mike Kelly. I primed and flat blacked them and they are barely noticable. IMO they turned out pretty nice for an afternoon's work. The center section must be carefully cut and fit to place in order for the front bumper to go on properly.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
R Matthews is on a distinguished road
I'd be game for a set too. I think they would have to be powdercoated or just left stainless though. I did make some of my own, primered and painted with plastic paint etc. But they tend to chip up on the track. I have to respray them after every track day.

Robert

Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Interested! Black powdercoat would be my preference (or whatever is most durable). I run the canyons and track and get all sorts of crap clogging up the front end...

Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I may be in depending on price. How about flat black?

dtmarsh: I have a set of GT2 wheels and tires and also run a 7mm rear spacer. have you tried 7mm up front? how about 14-15mm in rear? I assume you rolled the rear fenders.

Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Of course you'd buy a set--you me and hundreds of others, so what's the hold up? If the shop you went to OR ANYONE ELSE would make a set and perfect a template and a subsequent product on their own with an R/D a cost of approx $1000 they could make a ton of $$$$. So, as you say, $30 in parts and they sell them to all of us for 5 times that or $150. I'd pay that for a professional quality solution and so would many, many others around here on 6speed. Some talented engineer is missing a great opportunity.

How about we get interest in a group buy started now? I'll be first on the list for a quality $150 grill screen product for the OEM 996TT bumper.

Anyone else want to join me?

Vendors: are you LISTENING?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
So, it sounds like a bunch of us would like these to just plug in. Black if without maintenance, stainless if otherwise.... Woven mesh is ideal. No matter what, it has to look good and be track/temp functional.

Dan, it is all yours. My bet is take the stock pieces, cut them up and put mesh in them, then put them back together....probably not too hard to do. How much are the stock pieces?

Attachment is what at least "I" would love to have as a plug in.

Jeff

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-10-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !

Told ya!

I'd like a set in black. Dan, I'll bet the 997 guys would like these also.

Last edited by landjet; 02-10-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Dan, see, I told you there would be no interest

Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Kato
Interested! Black powdercoat would be my preference (or whatever is most durable). I run the canyons and track and get all sorts of crap clogging up the front end...
I think powdercoating in black is the way to go, too.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by ari
I may be in depending on price. How about flat black?

dtmarsh: I have a set of GT2 wheels and tires and also run a 7mm rear spacer. have you tried 7mm up front? how about 14-15mm in rear? I assume you rolled the rear fenders.
I haven't tried spacers in front and I didn't roll my fenders for the 7mm on the rear. I don't think I could do more than 10mm on the rear w/o rolling fenders.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by R Matthews
I'd be game for a set too. I think they would have to be powdercoated or just left stainless though. I did make some of my own, primered and painted with plastic paint etc. But they tend to chip up on the track. I have to respray them after every track day.

Robert
My black paint chips every time also. I have doubt that even powder coating would hold up for long. Don't know if hard anodizing would work either. I think black chroming would probably withstand the abuse.

Anyone else with more knowledge about these processes care to comment. I've had black chrome done on pistol parts before and it is extremely tough and hard. I think the mesh definitely looks best when it blends as well as possible into the background which means a flat black process of some kind.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
My black paint chips every time also. I have doubt that even powder coating would hold up for long. Don't know if hard anodizing would work either. I think black chroming would probably withstand the abuse.

Anyone else with more knowledge about these processes care to comment. I've had black chrome done on pistol parts before and it is extremely tough and hard. I think the mesh definitely looks best when it blends as well as possible into the background which means a flat black process of some kind.
Black chrome. Wow, never thought of that. That may be a great idea. We want something really tough that won't need to be re-sprayed in 10K miles.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Just stainless OR black plastic that is black all the way through. The latter would be cheap too...

jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT front grill screens