996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT front grill screens

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
I'm thinking of ordering the grill screen
in the bottom pic here w/ black powdercoat: http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?id=27

I'm going to have to bend it to fit around the vertical plastic piece
in the center of the side grills just as Mike did in his pics of his
turbo above. My question is: will the powdercoating break and make
the screen look like hell if I bend it?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of
I don`t know it there are different ways of powdercoating but normally
you can bend it as much as you want without breaking it.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
Dont think these would be too hard to make but as said above it would be trying to find a coating that would not chip easily, I have seen plastic mesh over here in Scotland that would be cheap and easy to work with.

Is there anyone that makes a kit to fit the GT2 bumper as i would be interested in one.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I have to wonder how plastic will hold up to stones as compared to metal.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this thread dead? There is a sudden die off in early 09'. There appears to be a number of threads on this, but cannot find a final, all approved vendor provided solution. In the meantime, I'll continue to filter through the numerous threads. btw, I'm very interested in purchasing whatever is out there....

Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
I ended up doing my front bumper with a sheet of mesh as couldn't find any pre formed/cut. I bonded it to the bumper and also shaped the mesh so the rad intake ducts hold it into the bumper.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
thanks, looks great. i'm really just looking for a template at this point as everything else is covered in the thread short of someone selling a pre-shaped piece...

Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I don't think there is any vendor selling pre-cut ones. Have to cut them to shape and fit yourself...

Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
This is a DIY kinda thing. You won't find a "kit" that's an easy instal... It's a "big deal" to some to remove your front bumper cover, the inner fenderliners, and instal mesh that is custom cut and fitted to your radiator bellows...

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks - I remember reading in this thread, or another on the same subject, that one of the members "10 year old kid can do in 10 minutes" or something of the like re: removing front bumper. I do have a copy of the FSM, from you I believe, so am confident I can remove bumper ok. I have moderate mechanical skills and a trained bicycle mechanic. Don't laugh, I'm retired and work in a bike shop for gas & bike part money

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
You can go to Renntech and get a great print out of the process to take of and put on the front bumper. This is a very practical mod and for me it is ascetics as well. It will be a mod I perform real soon. I am looking forward to the look and the fact that a lot of the debris that my DD gets in around the radiators won’t be there any longer.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Tess Tickle is on a distinguished road
We are about to make the 996 turbo /4S front grilles.
After the success that we've had with Cayman1, Cayman2 Boxster and 997.1 front grilles. We should have something ready in the next 4-6 weeks, so I'll keep you guys up to date.

Example of Cayman Front Grille

These are made to clip in from the front, so no removal of front bumper !!

If you need any further info you can contact me at allan@motordrive.com

Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
Here's another option. They were installed by the previous owner so I don't know if they are custom or aftermarket. The mesh looks to be stamped into shape then screwed onto the plastic frame. The frame snaps into the bumper just like the stock screens.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
996TT Grill Screen DIY
I managed to damage my turbo splitter, so I figured since i needed to epoxy together some inner fender liner plastics (until my new bumper cover I bought last year is painted), I figured I'd go ahead and do my own gumper grill screens... Here are some pics in order of installation... Remember, you must remove the following:

Splitter (which I managed to remove by clipping it pulling into a grassy area to park at my Sisters)
The inner fender liners
The bumper cover...

The exposed bellows for the three radiators - this is the Driver's side unit.

Starting with the center unit, I punch the first hole in the center of the bellow top lip:

Installing a Ziptie

Starting it thru the mesh:

Triming a bit of the material to fit the grill opening!

Center Bellows without screen installed...

Finished material behind the grill with the bumper back in place!

It's cake to install these gang. Installing them in the rubber bellows is so easy, takes about two hours, and $50 in materials, along with another $30 in tools...

I really prefer mounting them to the rubber bellows of the radiator grills. The biggest concern is the grills delaminating from the bumper cover over time... Mounting them in rubber still protects the radiators, and is still visible for the visual effect!!

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 02-14-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
pwarnery will become famous soon enough
front mesh

After cleaning the radiators on my 2001 turbo tonight, I must do a mesh improvement. You would not believe the stuff that gets stuck there...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT front grill screens