996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT front grill screens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
I am doing a DIY buy putting in my own screens but you may find this vendor can do it for you, he sells all the stuff that you can DIY but if you don't have skill you can have them do it I bet. I am in the process of ordering my goodies. check it out, i was impressed.
http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?id=1

Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !

If you have the time to pull off the bumper and remove the grills, it's a pretty simple mod. I'll redo mine when I replace my bumper cover with the new one sitting in my shop!

Mike

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mikelly

If you have the time to pull off the bumper and remove the grills, it's a pretty simple mod. I'll redo mine when I replace my bumper cover with the new one sitting in my shop!

Mike
Mike, When you pull that baby off give us a pic of the inside of your bumper and how you attach the grill screens.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I got much negative comments when I originally did this, but it worked for me... They're ALL held on with ZIP TIES... And you can't see them unless you look hard... The next set will be epoxied in.

Mike

Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I have seen mesh that would allow a lot more air flow than the screen Mike has used [nothing personal Mike]. The whole purpose of the radiators being up front is to maximize air flow. Mike's screen looks restrictive to me compared to others I have seen. Toadinlaws link shows the differences.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Toadinlaw, the web sight you posted looks good. I like what they did with the Porsche cayman. Thanks for sharing. Let us know how your DIY works out.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
I have seen mesh that would allow a lot more air flow than the screen Mike has used [nothing personal Mike]. The whole purpose of the radiators being up front is to maximize air flow. Mike's screen looks restrictive to me compared to others I have seen. Toadinlaws link shows the differences.

Mike's screens are "perforated" style and my guess is that his grill screens have open area of approx 50%. http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?id=1 This link shows several diamond mesh styles. I'm leaning toward the "small diamond mesh" shown and has open area of about 70%.

I called the owner of custom car grills today and he again (called him a year ago) told me he has no kit for the 996TT.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Mine has been track tested at well over 100Degrees ambient temps with ZERO issues with coolant temps. The goal I had was to stop as much debris as possible. When I removed my bumper this summer to replace the center radiator, the junk that dumped out of the side radiator scoops was scary big...

Mine was purchased thru McMaster Carr and cost about $70 for a 48x48 inch sheet. You'll need it because you'll waste a lot making them.

Mike

Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Well you can't argue with success.

Last edited by landjet; 02-15-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
smmm smmm smmm.... what is that smell?

I am on it. Thanks for the call.
Any news?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Here's a closeup of the same mesh that I used on the Porsche, and am using on my track car project:

There's a lot more airflow than the pics of it behind the factory 996TT grill slats may show...

Mike

Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Here's a closeup of the same mesh that I used on the Porsche, and am using on my track car project:

There's a lot more airflow than the pics of it behind the factory 996TT grill slats may show...

Mike
Yea, that's much better pic of the mesh. I'd guess thats at least 80% open area--quite high as mesh goes. Maybe we should just screw/rivet it onto the outside of our turbo bumpers like that.

Which reminds me, Dan, where are you and how's it coming????

Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 PM

Mike
Ps. I race motocross and shame on you for not pressure-washing your bikes before letting them back in the garage.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:47 AM

My problem is my trails are just outside my door, so I just take them back out and beat the mudd off them the next ride. My Yamaha did get a bath yesterday after goign to another friend's trail to do some more extreme riding... Sore as hell today!

Mike

Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
nigelquest is on a distinguished road
Id be interested in seeing what it looks like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT front grill screens