996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT front grill screens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
996TT front grill screens

I've been trying to find a grill screen solution for a couple years now to keep the crap out of the front end of my car and help save the radiators. Tom Kerr had a guy on the east coast make one for his yeller car that came out well, but they didn't make a template so I'd have to send them my bumper (I'm in CA). Another 6speeder (Mikelly?) fastened some mesh behind the stock, plastic grills w/ lots of zip ties, which, I guess is one man's solution.

For the life of me I don't understand why we've got several vendors providing grill screen options for the 900 997GT3's porsche produced, but not one option for the over 6000 996TT's produced. What am I missing?
How many of us in the 6speed community would buy these screens if a vendor stepped up and gave us a product? I know I would.

Anyone else want to chime in on this? VENDORS, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Do I really have to consider converting to a GT2 bumper just to have a decent grill screen option?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
If you are so inclined, you can make your own using 1/4" mesh bright galvanized birdscreen until such a time as someone makes one for you to buy.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I was quoted 800$ at a shop...apparently it is a lot of time to do it....about 30$ in parts. That being said, it would be "cup car" looking in the end.

If you produce units via templates, I'd buy a set from you.

I could not justify 800$ at the time...

Jeff

Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
JonnyTTSB is on a distinguished road
I have been searching for the same product....

Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
who the heck would put screens on their car?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wross996TT
who the heck would put screens on their car?
Is that a OEM GT2 bumper or something else?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by drh
If you are so inclined, you can make your own using 1/4" mesh bright galvanized birdscreen until such a time as someone makes one for you to buy.
Yes, I know and I am inclined, but I've seen what others have done on their own and I think there should be a better solution, as I'm not impressed w/ the quality of results. And yes, we could WAIT for "someone" to offer one, but sheesh, it's already been 9 years.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I was quoted 800$ at a shop...apparently it is a lot of time to do it....about 30$ in parts. That being said, it would be "cup car" looking in the end.

If you produce units via templates, I'd buy a set from you.

I could not justify 800$ at the time...

Jeff
Of course you'd buy a set--you me and hundreds of others, so what's the hold up? If the shop you went to OR ANYONE ELSE would make a set and perfect a template and a subsequent product on their own with an R/D a cost of approx $1000 they could make a ton of $$$$. So, as you say, $30 in parts and they sell them to all of us for 5 times that or $150. I'd pay that for a professional quality solution and so would many, many others around here on 6speed. Some talented engineer is missing a great opportunity.

How about we get interest in a group buy started now? I'll be first on the list for a quality $150 grill screen product for the OEM 996TT bumper.

Anyone else want to join me?

Vendors: are you LISTENING?

Last edited by dtmarsh; 02-08-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I'm in. It would have to go on the car in such a way that that either the bumper did not come off (clip on?) or if the bumper came off, looks perfect and clicked in in 10 seconds.

All of my clip on designs don't end up protecting the paint of the bumper and would scratch up the stuff already on the car, so plug in from the taken off bumper makes the most sense and is the cleanest looking option too.

(key is to avoid labor...)

Jeff

Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm in. It would have to go on the car in such a way that that either the bumper did not come off (clip on?) or if the bumper came off, looks perfect and clicked in in 10 seconds.

All of my clip on designs don't end up protecting the paint of the bumper and would scratch up the stuff already on the car, so plug in from the taken off bumper makes the most sense and is the cleanest looking option too.

Jeff
I think that's absolutely spot on. I would think the bumper has to come off and the unit/screens mounted in place of or behind the OEM plastic grills.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Is that a OEM GT2 bumper or something else?
TechArt GTS Type 2 with my own mesh...

Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about

Jeff
Why is the key to avoid labor? You and I and others spent time and $$ acquiring the right tools and time to drill holes in our exhaust.

Clipping screens on the exterior won't work since the horizontal grilles are close to flush with the front apron. You have to take the front apron off...a job my 5-year old grandson could do with minimal supervision, and install the screens behind the front grilles.

Once you look inside, you will see that clipping something on in 10-seconds is not going to happen. You have to get creative with how you trim the material and how it gets fashioned while maintaining a true horizontal and vertical grid pattern with the screen.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by drh
Why is the key to avoid labor? You and I and others spent time and $$ acquiring the right tools and time to drill holes in our exhaust.

Clipping screens on the exterior won't work since the horizontal grilles are close to flush with the front apron. You have to take the front apron off...a job my 5-year old grandson could do with minimal supervision, and install the screens behind the front grilles.

Once you look inside, you will see that clipping something on in 10-seconds is not going to happen. You have to get creative with how you trim the material and how it gets fashioned while maintaining a true horizontal and vertical grid pattern with the screen.

Hey, I agree with you. I should have said "shop labor costs..."

Anyway, Mikelly did it and I think he is pretty much in the top tier of garage shop equipment on the forum... What I want is plastic that pops in like the factory grills...

Idea!->

Buy the factory grills that already pop in. The stock one. The ones we already have and don't want.... Do the mods I want to them....and just replace the ones in the car with the new ones....perhaps????? Anyone have part numbers? I suppose that may work. I have no idea. Does anyone have thoughts on this idea. Feel free to slam me for being naive. I am.

Jeff

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Dan at Vivid is probably the go to guy on this. If he smells money, he will make it. Probably hasn't been brought to his attention yet. Give him a call.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
smmm smmm smmm.... what is that smell?

I am on it. Thanks for the call.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT front grill screens