996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

passed CA smog test

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
OCTurbo is on a distinguished road
passed CA smog test

For those of you in CA and are looking into getting a new exhaust, my speedtech exhaust with 200 cel cats passed smog today for the first time with flying colors. This was something i was concerned about, since i know other people have failed smog with aftermarket exhausts.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:24 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jbpricemd
For those of you in CA and are looking into getting a new exhaust, my speedtech exhaust with 200 cel cats passed smog today for the first time with flying colors. This was something i was concerned about, since i know other people have failed smog with aftermarket exhausts.
Were they able to run your awd car on the machine, or did they just visually inspect it?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
Were they able to run your awd car on the machine, or did they just visually inspect it?
they just idled the car and tested it. They only had a 2 wheel drive dyno, i think.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
jb,

It's great to know this...thanks for sharing.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
After 8 years, my europipe stage II and cats, and Upsolute flash passed smog perfectly (also just
in neutral because of no AWD dyno.)

Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
After 8 years, my europipe stage II and cats, and Upsolute flash passed smog perfectly (also just
in neutral because of no AWD dyno.)
Are they actually pulling any readings from the exhaust gases?

Or more of a visual thing?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
yep. exhaust analyzed for CO2, nitrates etc. Cal is strict.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
Are they actually pulling any readings from the exhaust gases?

Or more of a visual thing?
They gave me a copy of the smog certificate. Max allowable Hydrocarbon (HC) at 2500 rpm is 130, mine measured at 17, average is 12. Max CO is 1.00, mine measured 0.17, avg is 0.10. Looks like the car has quite of bit of room to go before the next smog test in 2 yrs.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
this is very encouraging! I looked through my 200 cells when I installed them and I thought 'wow, no way these could pass Cali smog' lol. I'm due next month so I guess I'll be another data point.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 AM
luva966tt will become famous soon enoughluva966tt will become famous soon enough
I wonder if it differs at a smog test only center that required every once in a while in California. I know im about due. Smog certs are easy to come by if talking to the right people and negotiating.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
They gave me a copy of the smog certificate. Max allowable Hydrocarbon (HC) at 2500 rpm is 130, mine measured at 17, average is 12. Max CO is 1.00, mine measured 0.17, avg is 0.10. Looks like the car has quite of bit of room to go before the next smog test in 2 yrs.
Maybe you should go with the 100 cells.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I'm also due next month. We'll see how I fare.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Thats interesting....

What did they say when you said "This is an aftermarket exhaust with no CARB registration" ????

Clearly it isn't CA smog 'legal" ...but good to know it has passed the functional test, and the tech didn't know what a stock exhaust looked like!

A

Old 02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by luva966tt
I wonder if it differs at a smog test only center that required every once in a while in California. I know im about due. Smog certs are easy to come by if talking to the right people and negotiating.
my smog test was done at a test only center (they can't do smog repairs). I think your car still needs to pass the emissions portion of the test no matter who you know.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
my smog test was done at a test only center (they can't do smog repairs). I think your car still needs to pass the emissions portion of the test no matter who you know.
yes. test only just means they can't offer to fix it for you.

but the 2nd statement isn't true
Let's just say I'd be a lot richer if I didn't have to "pass" the supra every year lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: passed CA smog test