996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: Ecliptech Shift-I (but need help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
DIY: Ecliptech Shift-I install

Updated: DIY Done

Ok, I finally found time today to install the i-shift. It really is a very neat piece of equipment.

There are three wires coming from the unit (black/blue - Tach, black/red - ignition and black - ground). Please note that the wires in the pics are green b/c I had to make each of the wires longer.

First thing to do is to loosen the obd port (three torx screws)

Next is to splice the violet green in the obd port (which is the tach wire) (Thanks to John D and Audikp that confirmed this)

I took out the lower center console to access the switched power from the phone plug (green/black wire)

While the console was out, I grounded the black wire to this screw.

Everything works great and looks good. Hope this helps anyone looking to install the Ecliptech

Edwin

----------------------------------------------------
I received my Ecliptech Shift-I tach yesterday and will be doing a quick and simple DIY. I need to hook it up to the tach wire but I don't know where to find it. Can anyone clearly explain to me where I can find it and which colored wire? Thanks

Edwin

Last edited by PrecisionPorsch; 04-25-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Edwin,

Tap in right above the OBD2 port. I do not recall exactly which wire, but I thought we researched this recently...I'm pretty sure it's the violet/brown wire.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Let me first say that I'm not a tech, not by a long shot.

I also ordered my Ecliptech Shift-I and am still waiting for delivery. I spoke to my Porsche guy, who is a very methodical, conservative mechanic, about having him do the install. He said he would tap in behind the gauges. He said tapping in at the OBD might, in certain situations, cause faults. He spoke about the shift lights they use on their stable of GT3 race cars, and they are all connected somewhere other than the OBD. Sorry I can't be more specific, But apparently the wire you need to find is behind the gauges.

If this all sounds like total BS, please refer to the first sentence above.

How do you like the Ecliptech Shift-I? (I know it's not installed yet). How is the build quality?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Gabriel,

I have been running the eliptech for 2 years with it wired above the OBD2 port and have never had a problem of any kind. Prior to that I used two other brands of shift lights, all from the same spot and never had a problem with those, either. This accounts for a total of over 40,000 miles without a fault. In my case, tapping above the OBD2 port seems free of issues...

In answer to your question about the light itself. I think it's a great product - it looks good and works perfectly!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Gabriel,

I have been running the eliptech for 2 years with it wired above the OBD2 port and have never had a problem of any kind. Prior to that I used two other brands of shift lights, all from the same spot and never had a problem with those, either. This accounts for a total of over 40,000 miles without a fault. In my case, tapping above the OBD2 port seems free of issues...

In answer to your question about the light itself. I think it's a great product - it looks good and works perfectly!
Glad to hear that you like the light. As is always the case, there is probably more than one way to do the job correctly. I guess it's just a matter of preference or habit (or charging labor to take the dash apart). Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to getting mine in the car.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Gabriel,

Rather than pay to have the dash taken apart and risk collateral damage, I would splice into the OBD2 tach wire and see how it works. It won't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time and I'll bet it works fine. If not, you can always have it done the other way...

2022 Cayenne White
Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MTheory
Let me first say that I'm not a tech, not by a long shot.

I also ordered my Ecliptech Shift-I and am still waiting for delivery. I spoke to my Porsche guy, who is a very methodical, conservative mechanic, about having him do the install. He said he would tap in behind the gauges. He said tapping in at the OBD might, in certain situations, cause faults. He spoke about the shift lights they use on their stable of GT3 race cars, and they are all connected somewhere other than the OBD. Sorry I can't be more specific, But apparently the wire you need to find is behind the gauges.

If this all sounds like total BS, please refer to the first sentence above.

How do you like the Ecliptech Shift-I? (I know it's not installed yet). How is the build quality?
Gabriel,

I'll be installing the tach off the OBD port. I'll let you know how it goes

Edwin

Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Gabriel,

Rather than pay to have the dash taken apart and risk collateral damage, I would splice into the OBD2 tach wire and see how it works. It won't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time and I'll bet it works fine. If not, you can always have it done the other way...
Sounds like a plan. I'll see how it goes with Edwin.

Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Gabriel,

I'll be installing the tach off the OBD port. I'll let you know how it goes

Edwin
I'm looking forward to the update. Good luck with the install.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Edwin, I believe its the Violet / Green wire...

Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
I just checked - it's the violet / green for sure.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by audikp
Edwin, I believe its the Violet / Green wire...
Thanks KP

I just checked - it's the violet / green for sure.
Thanks for double checking John. Much appreciated!

Edwin

Old 04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
Ok, I finally found time today to install the i-shift. It really is a very neat piece of equipment.

There are three wires coming from the unit (black/blue - Tach, black/red - ignition and black - ground). Please note that the wires in the pics are green b/c I had to make each of the wires longer.

First thing to do is to loosen the obd port (three torx screws)

Next is to splice the violet green in the obd port (which is the tach wire) (Thanks to John D and Audikp that confirmed this)

I took out the lower center console to access the switched power from the phone plug (green/black wire)

While the console was out, I grounded the black wire to this screw.

Everything works great and looks good. Hope this helps anyone looking to install the Ecliptech

Edwin

Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Thanks for the writeup!

Where did you end up putting the indicator (did you get the straight or curved unit)?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
I put it on my steering column and I got the straight one.

Edwin

Old 04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I've had this shift light for a few years now and no prob with obd splice. but who's to say in the future? so far no prob.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Ecliptech Shift-I (but need help)