996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How good is tiptronic on the TT?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Don Relentless
apples to oranges baby. it's all about what you like.
which one is gay?

Old 10-05-2004, 06:52 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by collin996tt
which one is gay?
Matt's oranges.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by mikesmith
Hey Matt I know of a Tip that was faster than you at Willow, just depends on the driver and the set-up..Some with the hybrid turbos run just as fast down the straights as the 6 speeds, all depends!!
dont think so homie, cause the only cars that were passing me were GT2s and 600+ HP Turbos. I was running all stock except for FVD chip when I was at Willow. Nice of you to make believe to try and challenge my crediblity... but then again, i was never challenging anyones driving ability to mine.

I dont doubt that a better driver in a tip can beat me on a track, but it is still chicken **** to drive a tip imo.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:54 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
fastest TT I've ridden in is a tip

Matt, carbon fiber interior trinkets are definately gayer than a chicktronic

Old 10-05-2004, 07:30 AM
jwa
jwa will become famous soon enough
I think for a primary car tip
and for a second car stick (more fun in my opinion)

Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Alex, your car is Gay!!!!

hey wait....Hmmmm

Old 10-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Y65MPH will become famous soon enoughY65MPH will become famous soon enough
A tip is a goof to drive, mash the loud pedal and hold on!!!! Lots of fun. Plus you have to beat the tar out of a 6spd to keep up with it under normal driving. I just sold my tip. Great car.

By the way, wouldn't you call all F-1 ferraris automatics? Are they gay as well?

Italian automatic = Cool

German automatic = Gay

I think I got it now

Old 10-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Y65MPH
A tip is a goof to drive, mash the loud pedal and hold on!!!! Lots of fun. Plus you have to beat the tar out of a 6spd to keep up with it under normal driving. I just sold my tip. Great car.

By the way, wouldn't you call all F-1 ferraris automatics? Are they gay as well?

Italian automatic = Cool

German automatic = Gay

I think I got it now
A Ferrari transmission is a SEQUENTIAL MANUAL GEARBOX, not an Automatic transmission. Just like a BMW and Aston Martin, it is a Manual Gearbox with a clutch that is electro-hydralically actuated by flipping a shifter paddle. A Tiptronic is an automatic transmission with a torque converter, there is no benefit reaped by putting the car in the shifting mode, vs driving in the fully automatic mode and just flooring the gas pedal (wow... much skill involved in that!). Time for you to do some research.

Mike: which one was Jacob's car?... there were a lot of seal grey turbos out there, and I am no where near the skill of some of the drivers there, but I was passing everyone in my group over and over again.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Y65MPH will become famous soon enoughY65MPH will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Matt Fresh
... there is no benefit reaped by putting the car in the shifting mode, vs driving in the fully automatic mode and just flooring the gas pedal (wow... much skill involved in that!). Time for you to do some research.

Unless that is your mom driving that Kart in your avatar, you should know that the transmission you choose has very little to do with the level of skill one has when driving correctly.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Some of you guys are going to far with this tiptronic bit. I say cool it.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 AM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Hey Matt I think Jacob's car was faster than you and it's a Tip.
He was turning 1:38's and hitting 145 doen the front straight, so if you were turning 36's and 37's I guess your faster!!
I don't know Matt or anyone else you guys are talking about, but in my opinion, if Matt and the Tip Turbo's were running the EXACT same times on the track, I would say Matt would be the better driver.

If two drivers pull the same time, and one is driving a 6-speed manual and one is driving a TIP, I'd say the 6-speed driver who has to rev-match his downshifts, shift all over the track etc. is the more skilled driver. He has more to worry about and is more prone to making error's. If you were to swap cars after a few hot laps, I'm pretty sure the manual driver (now driving the Tip) would be able to beat the Tip driver (now driving manual).

I find driving automatic cars so boring and detached, I'll take a manual tranny any day.

In fact, when my Fiancee got her first car (Mercedes C230 Coupe), I forced her to get manual. At first she kept making me drive her car, but I would refuse to and forced her to drive it herself. Then she started regretting getting a manual tranny, but after she learned how to drive it, she goes on and on about how she's so glad I forced her to learn how to drive manual, how much fun she has driving manual and how much she hates Auto's when she has to drive the MB loaner's (which is all the time...lol).

But then again, it's different strokes for different folks!

- KJ

Old 10-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Driving/Track in a Tip

Originally posted by Matt Fresh
I dont doubt that a better driver in a tip can beat me on a track, but it is still chicken **** to drive a tip imo.
Why do we go to the track? Is it to be the fastest car around the track? I have minimal skill and within a couple of laps no one was passing me - not because I'm a great driver - because I could throw a lot of $ into a car. Driving a TIP at the track is bullet proof - going into the corner brake hard and keep hitting the downshift button. The computer will keep you from downshifting too far. Hit the button 10 times - it stop downshifting at the right point. Is that "driving" the car? Certainly is easier, but I think I would rather watch the rods flying out through my rear view mirror. I would rather make the decisions - right or wrong.

I go to the track to compete against myself. I'll never catch that fricking GTS Viper - all I can do is race against the clock. Each time trying to go deeper and exit faster.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:28 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Hey Matt I know of a Tip that was faster than you at Willow, just depends on the driver and the set-up..Some with the hybrid turbos run just as fast down the straights as the 6 speeds, all depends!!

and wasn't it excellence that took a tip and 6 speed to the track w/ the same driver and the guy was quicker in the tip?

I don't think driving an auto takes away from the sportscar feel, for the avg driver you'll usually be faster in the tip. It's all about personal preference.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 10-05-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:12 AM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Call me an elitist, but I don't want a "sports car" that any soccer mom who can turn on the car key can drive. Same reason why it annoys me that BMW programmed automatic mode in the SMG, instead of doing it like Ferrari in the Enzo, no auto mode. Can't drive stick? Too bad. And yes, I drive my Turbo in LA traffic to work, BFD. Pay a little attention and you can let it creep in 1st gear. I'll take that any day over having my foot constantly on the brake pedal and inching the car forward in traffic.

With regards to being faster, it takes more skill to drive a stick shift car faster, that's for sure. Heck, half the self proclaimed stick shift drivers that I meet can't even heel and toe or rev match, it's pathetic. They wait until the rev is low enough before ramming the shifter into a lower gear, and they consider that stick shift driving.

As far as tracking goes, what was that saying again, straight lines are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers. At the BMWCCA schools they will pull you in if you hold people up in corners and floor it on the straights and not let the faster drivers by, the way it should be. And I haven't run with PCA or POC because Willow Springs bores me, I'll take Sears Point, Thunder Hill, or Button Willow any day over that boring track. For this reason, after 6 DE's in the Turbo this year, I'll be taking the 325is to the PIR to make sure that I am in the fast group because I am fast, not because the car makes me fast.

I will never ever own a car with torque convertor. Even my 325is daily beater is a 5 speed. What is so difficult about driving a sports car with a real gearbox? And that F1 drivers drive automatic comment was just well, I don't know where to begin. Sequential boxes have nothing in common with a dressed up torque convertor automatic called Tiptronic that anyone can drive.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:18 AM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
and wasn't it excellence that took a tip and 6 speed to the track w/ the same driver and the guy was quicker in the tip?

I don't think driving an auto takes away from the sportscar feel, for the avg driver you'll usually be faster in the tip. It's all about personal preference.
You don't think not being able to be in any gear (rpm permitting) or bouncing off the rev limiter any time the driver wants takes away the spots car experience?

You are steering the car, you are not driving it. The car drives forward without your foot on the brakes, what is that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How good is tiptronic on the TT?