996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
DIY: Fuel Filter Change

FIRST OF ALL, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

OK, so since my GF's van has been getting all the love I've been "diy"ing to do some wrenching on the Porsche. I've recently hit 60K miles and I'm doing all the maintenance myself. Since everyone knows, as there is plenty of writeups on the Air Filter and the Belt, I figured I'll throw one in for the mighty FUEL FILTER since it looked tricky and it is!!

So, I attached the factory instructions, which are pretty straight forward, but there is some tricky parts that I figured I might take pictures of to show you guys what you're up against.

Here's the tools you will need.

13mm socket (Removing the air filter housing)
Screwdriver removing the air filter clamp and fuel filter clamp.
T20 security bit for removing the MAF (Optional)
2 X 19mm or 1x 19mm and 3/4 will do
Powerful Cigar Lighter if you bought the filter without the pigtail.

Now this is essential. I don't care what you do on a Porsche, even if you change a lightbulb these might come in handy and are highly required, my trusty magnet pickup tool and a handy mirror:

0. Turn the car off.

1. You have to remove the air filter. I've discovered that removing the MAF first makes it easier to get the AIR FILTER housing out.

2. Once the Air Filter is out disconnect the line feeding the Fuel Filter (Right above the Fuel Filter)press and pull this one is easy.

3. Disconnect the grounding wire.

4. Now this one requires some force and is tricky and you HAVE TO BE CARFUL WITH IT!!! The filter is mounted to the Coolant Reservoir and I don't want you guys cracking it as a little birdie told me that it's not that easy to replace. Disconnect the fitting on the filter 19mm while countering with another 19mm or a 3/4 for these who might be tight on wrenches.

4 1/2. If you're wearing a baseball cap, you might want to twist it back as it will start to get in a way right about now.

5. Now the manual tells you how to take the filter out while pulling the TAB forward, which is hard to picture so I took some pics of the whole setup for you guys to make it easier.

Here's the band that holds the filter to the black clip that clips into the coolant tank.

Here's to show you how it clips.

And here's where the "Assembly" clips into.

6. Now if you got that far, than I assume you're doing good.

Now, when I got to this part, I realized that the filter I got was "affordable" but didn't come with the pigtail. Swaping it is tricky as the high pressure fuel line is heat shrunk onto the filter. Lucky for me the stock filter didn't have much of a "lip" in the nipple that attaches to the line as pictured below: WARNING, at no time, do not put any heat or flame close to the old FUEL FILTER as it might explode and cause injury.

So, I gently pulled it off while working it side to side (not to crack it) and swapped it over to my new filter, which had a bigger lip. Than I gently heated it after rinsing it in water and blowind it out,(where the connection is) with a lighter and after checking it is snug I put a clamp on it just in case. When heating it make sure you distribute the heat evenly and dont burn the rubber hose covering the plastic line.

Now, my buddy just pointed out that the clamp I used is not approved for European cars so If you use one like that make sure that your warranty is expired

7. Now you need to swap the band and the clip making sure you clock it right with the pigtail being straight up and the clip being at 7:30.

8. Here it is sliding into place.

To my surprise the "Sie" Germans engineered it that while it is a tight fit sliding it in, it went right in on the first try, I couldn't believe it.

This is where I took out my handy mirror and I made sure I got the clip to engage into the slot.

9. Here it is clipped in with the lines attached, fittings tightened and the ground wire attached.

If you look closely enough, you can see my handy mirror checking for leaks behind the filter where the pigtail was attached. Make ABSOLUTELY sure there are no leaks, as the fuel filter is located direclty above the turbos and the manifolds, and you dont want your Turbo to turn into a Fiero. The car will run without the MAF but you'll need to clear the codes in the computer afterwards by disconnecting the battery.

10. If there is no leaks, that's it. End of the show. You're done. Assemble the air filter, and go for a spin.

Last edited by adam699; 05-05-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
Great write up, much appreciated!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to do this for everyone else. Rep points for you!

I might add, maybe a blow dryer is a better source of heat rather than a lighter for the heat shrink

Old 05-05-2009, 02:16 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to do this for everyone else. Rep points for you!

I might add, maybe a blow dryer is a better source of heat rather than a lighter for the heat shrink

Hair dryer will not be sufficient as the actual plastic shrink tube is inside the rubber tube. I personally carefully used a torch, but figured that for begginers a lighter might be a safer, more controlable approach.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Adam, You're a brother from another mother, man! Well done!!!

Mike

Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Great writeup Adam. May I add another tip? Depressurizing the fuel lines is worthwhile to lessen the fuel mess. Easiest way to do this is to start the car and remove fuse C4 which cuts power to the fuel pump. Let the car stall, remove the key from the ignition and don't forget to replace the fuse.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
andymac will become famous soon enough
Another thumbs up.
One of the hardest jobs I've done on the car.

The mirror is a great idea !

Old 06-23-2010, 07:11 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Well done Adam thanks!

Suggestion: You should also transfer that to renntech.org in the 996TT diy section....

Old 09-04-2014, 03:30 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
anyway we can get the pictures back up?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
One after true other in order top to bottom….

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1382.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	400915   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1374.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	400916   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1375.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	400918   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1373.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	400919   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1379.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	400920  

Old 09-04-2014, 03:52 PM
One after true other in order top to bottom….#2

Name:	pict1378.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	400921   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1377.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	400922   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1380.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	400923   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1381.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	400924  
Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Nice write up! Thanks for the photos JP - what's the part number on the filter? You likely have it at your fingertips,,,

Old 09-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Yes sir!!! part#99611025352

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 07.46.54.jpeg
Views:	424
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	400970  
Old 09-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Great write up Adam and thanks for the photos JP. For anyone wanting to tackle the job we offer either the Genuine or Mahle branded filter, for more information Click Here.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
Yes sir!!! part#99611025352
I knew you would !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Fuel Filter Change