996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First GT2 DIY Oil Change: Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 AM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mdd
Tom (TVERT):
Way too tight on the turbo drain plugs.

Here are the proper torques (from shop manual):
Crankcase - 52 ftlb
Oil Tank - 44 ftlb
Turbo Sumps - 22 ftlb
Filter Housing - 19 ftlb

In additon to the crush washers on each drain plug, there are 2 different O-rings in the filter housing that should be changed.

ColoradoSilver:
Cost for the filter, 4 crush washers and 2 O-rings was $15 last time I ordered from Sunset. 8 quarts of M1 will be about $50. So about $65 total.
Thanks for the info. I purchased my filter at the dealer and it only came with the big O-ring. I'll make sure to order from Sunset next time. BTW, your numbers on costs is about what I spent also.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdd
Tom (TVERT):
Way too tight on the turbo drain plugs.

Here are the proper torques (from shop manual):
Crankcase - 52 ftlb
Oil Tank - 44 ftlb
Turbo Sumps - 22 ftlb
Filter Housing - 19 ftlb

In additon to the crush washers on each drain plug, there are 2 different O-rings in the filter housing that should be changed.

ColoradoSilver:
Cost for the filter, 4 crush washers and 2 O-rings was $15 last time I ordered from Sunset. 8 quarts of M1 will be about $50. So about $65 total.
Thanks for the information. I have a $50.00 off my next service cupon for my Porsche Dealer, so I may go through them for my next change. But in the future I intend on doing it myself. Good to know that it's easy to do and not so costly when you DIY.

Just have to get a good oil catch, or bucket from what I've read about.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 PM
gt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of light
Great writeup many thanks .