996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

FVD Aluminum Intake Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 03:52 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Cool FVD Aluminum Intake Plenum

Hello Everyone,
I am announcing the official release of the FVD 996 Turbo Intake Plenum. We were waiting to release this product untill it had been installed on a few 6speed and tiptronic cars to be sure everything worked as designed. Now that this has done we are ready to release it publically.

Features:
-Reduced heat due to the aluminum compared to the stock casting
-Reduced weight due to light weight aluminum and reenforced hose
-Increased airflow due to larger equal diameter hose
-Works with tiptronic transmissions
-Made in Germany (Durable)
-Lowest price on the market

Gains:
-Improved throttle response
-Quicker turbo spooling
-Boost sustained longer due to decreased heatsoak
-Increased horsepower

Photos:
Stock (Thanks Alex ):

FVD:

This kit is available for purchase and install from FVD USA
Retail is $1995

Last edited by AMG ETR; 12-12-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:46 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Just wanted to thank Evan/FVD for giving me a go at this a while back for the Tiptronic. I had tried a couple of times to do the Carbon Fiber one from Scarbo but to no avail... It simply doesn't fit the tiptronic and hence to my knowledge for those Tippy owners with bigger turbos, this is the only full intake system that replaces the stock intake plenum that fits. I believe Gemballa has something similair but it's just the hoses and not the front alluminium piece. The larger diameter tubing should help provide the air my turbos need No doubt the Scargo one makes power as CJV has stated on many occasions and is a VERY nice piece but it just doesn't fit the Tippy

Fred's has suffered some wear and tear and abuse over the years/25k miles (not sure when or where it was originally installed?) to the point where patching it is getting a bit worrysome. It just rubs and gets hit with debris... We installed this one too just to be safe. However on the 6speed cars the install is much less laborious.

PS Yes it saves weight too. Might not be CF but damn that piping is light

Last edited by sharkster; 10-27-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Banned
StephenTi is on a distinguished road
I was just researching such a setup for my car... tell me about the install, guys... how involving is it? Engine needs to be partially lowered? How's the tubing kept in place? Is the black tubing CAT tubing?

Judging from the "de-install" pix of the stocker, it looks like you guys hacked the **** out of the oem junk piece to get it out... good work!

Damn, I think you guys may have me wrenching this winter afterall!

Thanks,
Stephen

Old 10-27-2004, 09:28 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
You you need to partially drop the motor. There is no way to drop the intake out without doing so. You can do a partial drop to the first sub frame and cut the line on the D/S out as you can see in the picture. The right side is plastic and can be undone. Not sure on this setup or not, but on the Carbon setup I find that it is easier for fitment to remove the engine hook to clear the pipe. Looks like with this setup that will not matter. Consider it about a 4 hour job. I can do them in just under 2 now.

Evan,
What size are those inlet pipes? Also what are they made out of. I would like to know I.D and O.D please.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Re: FVD Aluminum Intake Plenum

Originally posted by AMG ETR

Gains:
-Quicker turbo spooling
-Increased horsepower
[/B]
Is this a "seat of the pants" or did someone dyno a before and after so we know what the HP gain actually is? Are all of the gains based on logic or were there any quantitative tests?

Old 10-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Banned
StephenTi is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the heads up, Stephen.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:00 PM
just a member
dish it out is on a distinguished road
Yes Stephen, It does look like someone hacked the **** out of the oem stuff, But if the job is done corectly this does not have to be done. We just did out 3rd one and never cut anything, A good tech will get this job done corectly. We recomend replacing clutch, and flywheel (light weight) at same time, for the motor will come completly down not partially.

Last edited by dish it out; 10-27-2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
looks awsome does it come in other colors?

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is on a distinguished road
This is the way to go, this is the system we use.

Neil

Old 10-27-2004, 10:20 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
StephenTi:Stephen did a good job explaining the requirements for install on a 6speed, and Alex (Sharkster) can give you the full details for a tiptronic. I do know the tiptronic requires a full engine drop though. The deinstall should not require any cutting, but this photo from Sharkster so there is some ghettolicious love in that deinstall

PorschePhd:Stephen, the hose measures 2.5" in diameter. I am not sure what other measurements you want, please clarify.

Ken:This kit was dynoed before and after in Germany and gain 20 engine HP. This power is made because with the stock system the right turbo always makes less power due to all the curves and diameter changes. With our kit both turbos now recieve the same amount of pressure therefor allowing the right turbo to run at full potentail. Some tests actually showed the right turbo making 0.13BAR less than the left under full throttle.

WheelB:Thanks. No other colors, however, you cannot really see the unit installed.

Neil:Thanks for the comment!!

Regards,
Evan

Last edited by AMG ETR; 10-27-2004 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Would the average driver notice these gains?

Gains:
-Quicker turbo spooling
-Increased horsepower

Old 10-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Rave TT
Would the average driver notice these gains?

Gains:
-Quicker turbo spooling
-Increased horsepower
Yes, they/you should . It gives the car a different feeling. You will notice the throttle response for sure, but also the power or the right turbo making .1BAR more!! 20HP should be "feelable"
Evan

Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
True, if you are doing the clutch it is a perfect time to get to both. Makes the job twice as easy. You an actually do the intake properly with a part drop if you separate the halves on the box and the pipes. You can weasel the D/S if the engine is down far enough to pull it through. Most just cut it as seen in the pictures. If you are doing a clutch then you an get to both very easily. You do not have to drop the whole assembly on the tip. Tight as heck in there but you can do most what you need. Heck, you don't need to drop the motor either to do the clutch.

Evan, the other number I want is the I.D. Inner diameter.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhD

Evan, the other number I want is the I.D. Inner diameter.
Stephen,
That actually was the Inner, the outter is not much more, maybe 2.625. The way the pipe is designed, it is thin but strong and durable.
Evan

Old 10-27-2004, 10:58 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hi guys, just to answer the specific-Tiptronic question.... The install isn't quite as easy on those. Well installing the FVD one IS easy, it's the removal of the stock intake on a Tiptronic which is tough... There's no way to take it out with just a partial drop because the drivers side pipe is so darn tightly snug in there that you should do a full drop or indeed do what we did to mine which is sawzel Sure makes it quicker.... The 6 speed install is a BREEZE!

The fitment on the blue alluminium piece is great and they even cut out a section to go around the fuel filter- especially important if you've got an upgraded one (who me!?!).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FVD Aluminum Intake Plenum