996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
brake pads

whats the best brake pads out there for the 996tt for street use? Looking for pads that are no dust type... for some reason my pads.. I think stock pads.. leave my wheels full of dust.. would like to find something that works as well as stock but less dust .. if thats possible?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I've been happy with EBC reds, cheaper, and less dust. They claim "no dust" but they do leave dust, probably 30-50% of normal. I also had them at the track for DE and they are fine with SRF fluid in my early run group level.

Note, they seem to have "re-formulated" these things in the last year or two. The "old" red stuffs, they admitted, were not so great. The new ones are quite good. What I was told and what I have observerd. Just FYI. Reviews, thus, are not necessarilly going to help you if older.

I plan to go with yellow stuffs later for more DE level work. I have been told by a user here with them that they are fine for dd use and better on track. They do dust a bit, quite a bit, he said. FYI.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 06-29-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Good thread.

I'm also getting to a point where I'm going to need some new pads for street use. Looking for the same things...great performance, minimal dust, and for me, no squealing.

I've heard mixed reviews about the old EBC reds. Apparently they're better now? Do they squeal?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
Good thread.

I'm also getting to a point where I'm going to need some new pads for street use. Looking for the same things...great performance, minimal dust, and for me, no squealing.

I've heard mixed reviews about the old EBC reds. Apparently they're better now? Do they squeal?
Mine don't. One guy with a Cayman S PM'd me just yesterday that his do.

So, your mileage may vary. I like them. No issues in Harrisburg in the winter with temp either!

Jeff

Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
enoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to behold
same issue here, looking for new street pads

Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
Here is my feedback:

I was also looking for low dust street pad with equal or better than OEM performance
On my GT3, I switched to Carbotech Bobcat pads; wonderful, I would guess 70% less dust than stock. Sometimes I drive the car and inside of wheels are still clean. Great performance.

So I bought a set for my 02 Turbo....and they've produced 2X the amount of dust of stock pads !!!! Have replaced them with EBC red and sending the Carbotech Bobcat back to them (wonder if I got a set of track pads by mistake ???) Have put only a few miles on EBC red, so too soon to tell. Will advise as to my findings

Hope this helps

Bill

Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bill in Atlanta
Here is my feedback:

I was also looking for low dust street pad with equal or better than OEM performance
On my GT3, I switched to Carbotech Bobcat pads; wonderful, I would guess 70% less dust than stock. Sometimes I drive the car and inside of wheels are still clean. Great performance.

So I bought a set for my 02 Turbo....and they've produced 2X the amount of dust of stock pads !!!! Have replaced them with EBC red and sending the Carbotech Bobcat back to them (wonder if I got a set of track pads by mistake ???) Have put only a few miles on EBC red, so too soon to tell. Will advise as to my findings

Hope this helps

Bill
Thats so weird. I would think that the vehicle wouldn't metter and that the dust amount would be consistant on the two cars. Maybe even a little more on the GT3 as bigger brakes and all. Maybe you just got a bad pair on the turbo?

Yeah, keep us posted. I would think the dust would be less the the EBCs, but like I said, I'm also concerned with squeal. I had a set of Brembo's on my last car that could have woke the dead every time I used them. It got to the point where UI didn't enjoy driving the car. I don't want to be in that position again.

Thanks for the post!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
MINTEX is supposed to sell a "No dust" pad. I have not tried them but they are worth a look.

Whatever you post your thoughts for the rest of us.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Mine don't. One guy with a Cayman S PM'd me just yesterday that his do.

So, your mileage may vary. I like them. No issues in Harrisburg in the winter with temp either!

Jeff
Well actually I have them on my Turbo but I just installed last week with my 2pc brembo rotors. I've never had 2pc rotors and I'm not sure if they are the culprit for the noise but it also is only now and then not all the time.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM
EBC Reds will squeal for the 1st 1000 miles or so until they're bedded properly.

I'm curious how they do after that.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:55 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
I have used the Mintex pads for all of my other cars VW, Audi and MB with little dust. They make sport/track/race formulations, but not sure how they would perform on a P

Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread... I just ordered some Cool Carbon brake pads from Pelican (they were running a special). From the reviews I've read, they sound like the ideal pad for me--strong for street use, no squeal, less dust and strong enough for minor to moderate track use. I'll post up my review once I put them in if anyone's interested

Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 AM
kwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura about
how are they going for you?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:53 AM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
I have cool carbons on mine and they leave alot of dust. I may try Porterfield pads - I have had good luck with them in the past with other cars. Anyone try them on a 996TT?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I have had good luck with Hawk PC (perf. ceramic) with my other vehicles and will try a set when my TT needs pads. Plus being a Hawk dealer its not terrible $$$ loss if I don't like them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: brake pads