996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Switching out brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
StrathRoy is on a distinguished road
Switching out brake pads

I am considering going to the two piece Brembo front rotors from Vivid, and usind the Pagid Yellow pads for DE events. Is it advisable to switch out the Pagid pads after the event to street pads, for drivability reasons? I understand the Pagids may squeal (which drives me NUTS), and also that they may be more suited to higher temperature operation than that normally seen during street driving.
I always used to go by the rule that you would never switch pads without surfacing the rotors, but is that really necessary?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I keep my Pagids in all year. Never had a problem., although not great when I got caught in the rain. I also have learned how to modulate the brake pedal to eliminate the squeal by 98%.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
enoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to behold
what is this modulate the brake pedal you speak off.. I need this

Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I keep my Pagids in all year. Never had a problem., although not great when I got caught in the rain. I also have learned how to modulate the brake pedal to eliminate the squeal by 98%.
We disagree on this one - I use street pads for the street and Pagid yellows for the track. You can reduce the noise with race pads under street conditions by either having the brakes on hard, or not at all. It's when they are only partially contacting the rotors that they squeal. That's what he means by modulating. I'd rather spend the 20 minutes to swap pads out.

As for resurfacing - when I swap pads, I go out and put several hard stops on them, say from 90 to 50. They mate up nicely to the rotors after that. Part of that exercise is to transfer some of the pad material to the rotor.

Jon

Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
StrathRoy is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jon - that was the answer I was after! I would be changing wheels after the track event anyway, so popping off the pads would be easy at that time.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Its ok to run the yellow on the street. In fact the GT3 comes with the RS29. They might get a little noiser, but its something for you to just try.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Boomers996tt is on a distinguished road
Thinking of doing the same thing, running OEM pads on the street and Pagid or Carbotech for the track. What do you do about the vibration damper or damping panel?

Can you remove the OEM pads with the dampers attached (saw a thread saying to seperate before removing).? Can you run the track pad without the damping panel? Or do you have to have the damping panel for both the OEM and track pads?

The damping panels have adhesive, so once seperated from the original pad it won't adhere to the new pad. Will this make a difference.

Don't car about noise on the track but do care about vibration on the track. Also perfer no noise on street.

What to you track guys do and what do you recommend?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM
sc_trojan has a spectacular aura aboutsc_trojan has a spectacular aura about
porterfield r4s for the street have worked well in all my cars.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Combining answers to the previous two posts...

I don't have the stick-on vibration dampers on either set. I think the PO lost them. The stock pads have counterweights at the top that seem to be sufficient.

In reply to Dan...

Yes, you could use Pagid yellow pads on the street. But why would anyone want to use pads that cost twice as much, send out more dust, squeal, and are less effective than stock pads for street use?

Jon

Old 07-02-2009, 09:12 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
In my case, the car hardly sees any street driving lately.

Jon, next Wed.and Thurs. the car goes in the shop for the suspension transformation. I'll have to relearn the car.

Last edited by landjet; 07-02-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
well definitely get the 2pc rotors from Dan! As far as switching out pads I'm planning going changing pads between events as well.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
In my case, the car hardly sees any street driving lately.

Jon, next Wed.and Thurs. the car goes in the shop for the suspension transformation. I'll have to relearn the car.
Larry - I think that you will appreciate the photo below. These are my front tires (MPSC) after 11 25-30 minute sessions on a very hot 3-day weekend. Notice how even the wear is! The front alignment was set at -2.5 deg camber and 0 deg toe. YMMV, of course, but one of the reasons the car felt so hooked up, I think, is because I was finally using the whole front tire.

Jon

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
That does look good. Hope I have the same luck.

Looking forward to the Motons, but kind of not looking forward to having to dial in my car again. Actually, I guess it was never really dialed in, I had just gotten used to it, so it should get much better.