996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Picture request: European 996TT rear bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Picture request: European 996TT rear bumper

Hey guys,

I seem to recall reading that the European 996TT's don't have the gaudy bumperettes that the US cars do. Does anyone have any pictures of this for confirmation? Additionally, do you know if they have a revised rear crash beam (bumper) underneath that skin or whether they simply go without it over there? I'm researching some ideas to cleanup the rear end in the future and was wondering if there were some European domestic market mods available for doing so. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
heya Steve,

If I am not mistaken, all of the bumpers have to be cut for the bumperettes, so if you just order a bumper cover, it should come without the holes.

Justin

Old 07-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the heads up, and I definitely did not realize that. I guess my only question left is what do the European cars have underneath the bumper skin, meaning do they go without the rear bumpers outright or do they have something different for crash protection in there. Could the bumperettes and rear bumper itself both be US DOT spec stuff?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:05 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the heads up, and I definitely did not realize that. I guess my only question left is what do the European cars have underneath the bumper skin, meaning do they go without the rear bumpers outright or do they have something different for crash protection in there. Could the bumperettes and rear bumper itself both be US DOT spec stuff?

If you take the plastic bumperettes off, you'll realize that the aluminum bumper bar has two brackets riveted to it to hold the bumperettes in place.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM
OK, so would we thus assume that the European spec bumper simply don't have the riveted on bumperettes but retain the normal bumper beam? I wonder if anyone has retrofitted a European bumper beam to a US spec car for a cleaner overall look?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
here you go

Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Perfection...just what I was hoping to see. Can you tell me what those round holes are for in the bumper cover? Thank you.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Perfection...just what I was hoping to see. Can you tell me what those round holes are for in the bumper cover? Thank you.
Parking assist. Non-Euro cars have that too. Kind of a goofy thing to have on such a small car, but I've got them on mine and actually, I kinda like em!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
OK, so would we thus assume that the European spec bumper simply don't have the riveted on bumperettes but retain the normal bumper beam? I wonder if anyone has retrofitted a European bumper beam to a US spec car for a cleaner overall look?
You can remove the brackets by grinding the rivet heads off the beam - then install the new skin.

Here are my results:

Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the information and pictures RiA. Your 996TT looks fabulous...such a less cluttered look going on back there without the bumperettes.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Thanks Steve - I agree, much cleaner look..