996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ATS carbonetics clutch forced break in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
ATS carbonetics clutch forced break in

A year ago and 4k miles ago I had my numero uno man Akram who is now with Motorwerks Houston and a Protomotive approved tuner put the Proto650 kit on my car. He also put the triple disc clutch and lw fw by ats carbonetics in at the same time. I followed the suggested break in by Akram and Todd and the clutch got a tad bit better but far from that stock feel. It was still grabby and engaged way up top on pedal. I eventually learned to feather the throttle and live with the sometimes harsh jolt from 1st to 2nd and up to 6th. The car would feel like an earthquake had hit when changing gears and was a nighmare to lauch at the dragstrip. Until Akram came down to pick up my Viper to get some work done and drove it and said this is not how it should be. It should drive much more like stock at this point. I was happy at the chance that I might regain that stock like feel that was so smooth and no more stalling so here is what Akram and Todd had me do.

Put car in 6th, ebrake up, rev 3-4k rpms and just when I felt the clutch dragging hold that for 5 seconds and release for 5 seconds. Repeat this 3-4 times. Let the discs cool down and warp. I let the car sit overnight and boy what a difference the next day. Engagement point dropped more like middle of pedal and no more jolts. I was one happy camper and Akram said it would only get better from here on out. This was called a "forced break in". Now I may start daily driving the car again instead of just for track days and the drag strip. Hope this helps anyone out there who has a stubborn ats triple disc clutch. Akram said most of the time they break in much easier but once in a while they run into one like mine. Good Times are here again!

Tom

Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Going to try that, thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Tom,

To clarify, the car is sitting still w/ the parking brake engaged, yes? Then in 6th gear let out the clutch and just partially engage, right?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Does this only work with the triple disc? I have a regular stage 3 Clutchmasters setup and my pedal has been rising too and now it is ALL the way up top. I thought maybe my disc was wearing too thin already. I am NOT slipping. I just can't modulate it and it lets up very high.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:47 AM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Tom,

To clarify, the car is sitting still w/ the parking brake engaged, yes? Then in 6th gear let out the clutch and just partially engage, right?

Hey Doc, Yes if you engage too much you will stahl the car which I did once and rpms will start to drop fast and no throttle will be able to hold them up in the 3-4 range. If you just slightly engage and drag the clutch and hold rpms in the sweet spot that is where you want to be. 5 seconds only as Akram said much more and you get into trouble with the spring/springs and overheating or toasting them. 5 seconds cool down clutch down to floor and over again 3-4 times. Feel free to contact Akram for confirmation of this but I feel pretty good that I followed his instructions. Let me know how it turns out.

Tom

Old 07-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Tom,

Yes parking brake engaged to keep the car from moving forward.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Does this only work with the triple disc? I have a regular stage 3 Clutchmasters setup and my pedal has been rising too and now it is ALL the way up top. I thought maybe my disc was wearing too thin already. I am NOT slipping. I just can't modulate it and it lets up very high.

I think this may only be specific to a triple disc set up but not sure to be honest. I can't speak on you set up bc I have not had one. Sorry, Hope it gets better for ya.

Tom

Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Doc,

Todd Knighton had told me this same thing, you have to get them warped a little
and they become easier to live with

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I don't know that I would do this with a single disk, especially an organic based or organic hybrid single disc. Carbon work the opposite, normally the hotter the get the better it grips, with the smaller plates and floaters between them, there is more adequate cooling between cycles. In your case would try and re-bleed the clutch and go from there.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Sean, make sure when you do it, you are in your garage facing in and right by the wall. This will stop you if you make a mistake and will make you cooler and your clutch better. I promise.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by TXGold
Sean, make sure when you do it, you are in your garage facing in and right by the wall. This will stop you if you make a mistake and will make you cooler and your clutch better. I promise.

Ryan,

OK on the cooling part...but do I really want my son's bedroom stopping me?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
I don't know that I would do this with a single disk, especially an organic based or organic hybrid single disc. Carbon work the opposite, normally the hotter the get the better it grips, with the smaller plates and floaters between them, there is more adequate cooling between cycles. In your case would try and re-bleed the clutch and go from there.

Thanks Wes, I didn't think so, but I had to ask. I think my disc is done already after only 5k miles.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Nice write up and good info.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Sean pushes his car into other cars.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:20 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have about 4000 miles on my ATS Triple. It is a lot less grabby than the first 800 miles but still engages at the top of the pedal travel. It is also very hard to launch from a start but I am getting much better at it. Since I only drive my car once a week, I need to relearn the clutch every time Saturday morning before I match her up against other cars. I am interested in lowering the engagement point, but will wait to hear the outcome from a few others.

Thanks for the info!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ATS carbonetics clutch forced break in