996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo gurus, I need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 03:33 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Turbo gurus, I need some help

My buddy is running into a problem w/ this turbo honda. Oil leaks into the exhaust but only at idle. I thought it was his headgasket so I did a head rebuild and also sent the turbo into innovative to have them rebuild it. ALl the lines have been double checked, etc.

Any idea? Innovative said it looks like the turbo wasn't getting full oil coverage for some reason

Old 11-06-2004, 04:43 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Honda with a Turbo ? HUH? Scott I think you are in the wrong forum in this one bud.....

Old 11-06-2004, 06:26 AM
scotty slc is on a distinguished road
The problem is in the oil drain line, I'm guessing that it is running into the oil pan. When the car is at an idle, the oil isn't flowing through the turbo, it is just sitting in the oil drain line, because the oil in the pan is backing it up. So the car is probably smoking blue. Drill a hole in the block tap it, and put a -12 fitting in there you will have no more problems
-Scott

If the head gasket would go bad The oil would be milky, and the car would smoke white.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:04 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Darren
Honda with a Turbo ? HUH? Scott I think you are in the wrong forum in this one bud.....
turbo setups don't very to much from basic construction, I figure w/ the guru's here that have dabbed a little bit in varied applications could help me out

Old 11-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by scotty slc
The problem is in the oil drain line, I'm guessing that it is running into the oil pan. When the car is at an idle, the oil isn't flowing through the turbo, it is just sitting in the oil drain line, because the oil in the pan is backing it up. So the car is probably smoking blue. Drill a hole in the block tap it, and put a -12 fitting in there you will have no more problems
-Scott

If the head gasket would go bad The oil would be milky, and the car would smoke white.

the car does smoke white, that's why I did the head rebuild.

I will try the advice. Thanks bud.

what's also weird is the car is still makeing good power, a little over 350 to the wheels when we did the first tests even w/ the smoke at idle (I know wasn't a good idea to do, but we figured if we blew something it'd give us an excuse to rebuild )

Old 11-07-2004, 12:52 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
soon2be,

scotty above is probably very close. I had the same problem when we went to much larger turbo's. In our case we built larger return oil tanks to solve the problem.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:55 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
turbo setups don't very to much from basic construction, I figure w/ the guru's here that have dabbed a little bit in varied applications could help me out

Did you try and email Stephen form Imagine Auto ? That would be my first stop with a question as this ....

Old 11-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Didn't want to bother him right now w/ all the shootout stuff going on. Figured he'd see this if he had time.

Old 11-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by cjv
soon2be,

scotty above is probably very close. I had the same problem when we went to much larger turbo's. In our case we built larger return oil tanks to solve the problem.

Will look into it. Thanks guys. Any other advice is welcome. Just want to get the problems worked out

Old 11-07-2004, 01:42 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The other thing to look at as far as the 996tt is the restrictor that you have in your line. Failing to reinstall or installing the wrong size for your turbo will cause problems.

Last edited by cjv; 11-07-2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:40 AM
scotty slc is on a distinguished road
The car will still make good power, Your really not hurting anything, unless your running a 2 step. It is just bad for the turbo seals over time. I would say it is definatly a oil drain problem.
-Scott

Is the oil Milky? If it is the water in the oil will eat away at the rod bearings real quick, I wouldn't even start the car.

Old 11-07-2004, 04:58 AM
nope, oil looks fine

Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 PM
okay, this weekend I moved the oil line up higher in the pan. It still smoked a little bit but it would stop after a few seconds and it wasn't NEARLY as bad.

Thanks for helping me get my head on straight guys. Hopefully i'll figure out while it's still smoking a little.