996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is your dealer's incompetence pushing you away from the Porsche marque?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 09:02 PM
GT3Scott will become famous soon enoughGT3Scott will become famous soon enough
Angry Is your dealer's incompetence pushing you away from the Porsche marque?

I've just about had it with our local (and only) Porsche dealer. Complete incompetence with fixing our Porsches (generally requires multiple trips to fix problems, even though I tend to leave the vehicle with them for 2-3 weeks at a time!).

This most recent trip with the Cayenne Turbo took 3 weeks, and since getting it back one thing they said they fixed they didn't, they car is still yelling at me to "SERVICE NOW", and one part of the headliner they took apart to fix a recalled item was put back together incorrectly, along with fingerprints all over the headliner. (They'll be cleaning it off and fixing it when I bring the car in AGAIN).

We're pretty sure we're selling our Cayenne T because we can't stand dealing with them for an everyday vehicle. No loaners of course either. The GT3 I'll keep, for now, because at least its not a car I rely on so inconvenience with it isn't as inconvenient.

Fortunately JD Power called last night about my most recent service visit. Take that, bastards.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:15 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is on a distinguished road
Scott,

That's, absolutely why I sold my Cayenne Turbo and bought a Range Rover instead of a new '05 CT. The dealers can talk about how much improved the '05s are, but after at least 5 trips to the local "dealer" (quotation fingers!) to fix my '04, I had enough. I even got a call from the service department after one visit asking me when I could bring the truck back because they "forgot" to do a recall on the truck and Porsche would not reimburse them for any warranty work until the recall was done. I never called them back.

Eric

BTW, I've driven the RR 4,254 miles in 5 weeks and the truck is absolutely flawless! So much for reputation.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:26 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Eric - The new RR is made my BMW so the old bad rep is out the window on them anyway

Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 AM
GT3Scott will become famous soon enoughGT3Scott will become famous soon enough
We dont have a RR dealer here, so we're thinking Toyota Landcruiser. No Lexus dealer here either (small town ya know). Dont like the big Benz. We're going to look @ a LC today.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 AM
jessejamzz is on a distinguished road
Thank Gawd I have a few dealers locally. The one I bought my car from is horrible. Reference my rennlist thread about Chambers Boston.
Clair Porsche is outstanding for service and the best part is I can walk home, but they give me a rental anyway!.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I spent 20 minutes arguing to my service (19 year old kid) rep that he didnt have to disconnect the diff to dyno my GT2 since its 2wd. You aint kidding!

Old 11-09-2004, 12:44 AM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
That's why I find a great tech (Seth at Technical Dimensions) and go to him for everything. The dealer has never touched my car and unless it is a serious dealer warranty issue they never will.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:14 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by ESK
BTW, I've driven the RR 4,254 miles in 5 weeks and the truck is absolutely flawless! So much for reputation.
Apparently you've been very fortunate as the RRs are famous for being royal POS. We considered them and even if we could get past our POS fear (we ended up with the same reliability in our Cayenne anyway), the only dealer here is also the (Porsche) one whose service dept I switched from two + years ago for pathetic service. The other Porsche dealer with good service is not a RR one.

Last edited by ben, lj; 11-09-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:17 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Darren
Eric - The new RR is made my BMW so the old bad rep is out the window on them anyway
LOL, our last E46 M3 (you know the one with multiple recalls for blown motors - for a defective bearing design - they think) was our "last" BMW. I'm fairly certain the worst service we've received over the last 15+ years has been from 4 out of 5 BMW dealers in 3 cities in 2 states. No thanks.

Last edited by ben, lj; 11-09-2004 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:00 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by GT3Scott
We dont have a RR dealer here, so we're thinking Toyota Landcruiser. No Lexus dealer here either (small town ya know). Dont like the big Benz. We're going to look @ a LC today.
Scott,

My wife drives an '04 LX470 (her second one - we just traded an '02). She also had two Land Cruisers before that (a '98 and a '00). They are by far the best vehicles we have ever had. I can't recall ever taking them to the dealer for anything but oil changes. Lexus service is second to none - the dealer picks up the car at our house and actually delivered the car to me when we bought it - signed the paperwork at home. As you can see we trade them about every two years and the resale values are very strong. My suggestion is get the Lexus because it's a little more luxurious and better looking (IMO) and don't worry about dealer proximity since you won't need to!

Eric

Old 11-09-2004, 03:01 AM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
I recently bought a new Range Rover, and while it is a HUGE improvement from the older model, it still does have some flaws, one big one is that when it rains it leaks into the car. And not even a little bit...a lot! This i will have to be getting fixed here soon. Another is my right turn signal fell out!!! I too dont have a dealer near by, but Range Rovers are the Bentley's of SUV's!

Old 11-09-2004, 03:22 AM
JayM is on a distinguished road
We bought a Range Rover in June (after getting past the reservations based on the historical build quality), and so far I am pretty happy with it. I like driving it, and have had only one problem so far (with the infamous air suspension) that did require two trips to get right, but I was still pretty pleased with the diligence of the service group (including a follow-up call at home a few days after the second visit to see if it was still "fixed"). We have had the same experience with BMW that Ben describes, typically 3-4 visits required to fix anything, no loaners, generally treated like cattle, but the RR dealer only sells Rovers, Jags, and Aston Martins, so I guess they are used to things that break frequently and have worked out how to keep people reaonably happy in spite of that.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is on a distinguished road
Dunno about the Cayenne, but the local P-dealer (Boardwalk in Plano) is top notch.

No complaints there.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Boston Duce is on a distinguished road
Ford bought the Rover group from BMW a while back.

They still source the 4.4 from BMW but are thinking of putting an 'in house' power train in for obvious reasons.

Regards,
BD

Old 11-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Is your dealer's incompetence pushing you away from the Porsche marque?
No. I've had great service at both Porsche dealers here in Atlanta.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is your dealer's incompetence pushing you away from the Porsche marque?