996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT - Long term keeper ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 AM
dreamtripper will become famous soon enough
996TT - Long term keeper ???

I've had my car for a little while now and am contemplating a replacement, but nothing other than a budget busting F-car or vintage of some kind sounds interesting. That coupled with the 996TTs current poor resale value is leading me to think I should plan to keep my car indefinitely.

To current owners, I'm interested in hearing what you are planning to replace your 996TT with or if not, your logic for hanging on to your cars.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I plan on keeping mine now. With the seemingly unlimited moddability of these cars and the ability to still drive them in that state...no real reason to dump it...

Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Had mine since new in 2003. Very happy with the car. No major problems except 2 clutches . Over the past year have taken her from a simple flash/intake to beyond GT700. Getting the extra 200+ hp was like getting a new car. I plan to keep it indefinitely.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Have had mine for 4 years.....brilliant in performance and reliability. Definately NOT exotic in looks, and shares the same basic look of the pedestrian 911s......which really is the appeal of F and L cars.

I'm thinking about replacement, but so many cars fall short for what you can get for less than $100k. Right now, the top contender is a 997TT, with 360, Gallardo, DB9 behind it.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 AM
nvno1 is on a distinguished road
I plan on keeping mine for a long time. It is worth more to me than what I could sell it for. That said I'd like to add a stablemate sometime in the future.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yes, I can see adding a RS6, SL65 and maybe a z06 to the stable, but still keeping the P car...

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
I'm sticking with mine as kind of a commitment thing. Had it for 2.5 years and counting. Bought it at a decent price ($60k), so not worried about driving it into the ground.

I will admit to occasionally being swayed by the GT3 (very swayed, 996 or 997) and the V8 Vantage. With the V8 Vantage I know I'd love the overall experience of the car but miss the driver involvement. With the GT3... hmm... oh, right. Commitment... I've actually thought more than once about making that an additional car, but can't really justify it. That's probably the only time I have second thoughts about holding on to the Turbo for so long.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 AM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
I'll more than likely keep mine for a VERY long time. I couldn't imagine these things tanking in value too much more than they already have. Also, it would be a tough car to replace within its price range.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I just had the same mental week....looked at the e92...they are going turbo in a few years (M5 now....335....just a matter of time). The monthly would have been more for a car worth noting in 5 years. I think the 996TT is at the bottom of value and may actually go up if the economy ever really rebounds....say in 4-5 years.

Plus, I LOVE my wing. On track and on the road. The gt2 ride height, aero front spoiler, and the "pedestrian" 996TT still gets looks. It is just cool looking. I like it more than the 997 as Porsche in all other models is making the headlights follow form (cayman, boxster, panamera....more 996esque to my eyes). At the BMW dealer (RR too), the salesmen all walked out to check out my car...pissing off the sales manager....

The conclusion of two dealers, one speed shop owner, and one friend who knows the numbers: drive the 996TT until the wheels fall off at this point. And, the fact it is fun is a plus.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
think about it what other car could you get that rivals its performance ??? nothing !!! it looks good !! they are super fast when the slightest of mods are done to it.

i was contemplating getting into a gallardo , yeah they look amazing , and sound amazing and thats where it stops, i had the pleasure in putting busslengths on my freind G... , and i was thinking ... would i be happy if the roles were reversed ? or if an evo spanked me ? NO.... but thats just me.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I had planned on keeping mine indefinitely because I bought it very right and the performance is off the charts. However, the economy has changed my plans, so I'm hoping I'll get around 37k for it. I also hope this is the bottom price for these cars.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
ABCar is on a distinguished road
Just bought mine and paid fairly for it (maybe a few K too much?) but love the car and i agree that it is an incredible car at any price and hopefully the market does not tank. Enjoy your ride, whatever it is!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:28 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
an early Z06 tried to race me today..."tried" is the key word. it had an aftermarket hood on it, so i have to assume that it was because it had a blower. the race was a joke, i shouldnt have even wasted the fuel.

i doubt that i will ever sell this car. nothing can perform like it and can be driven daily.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Nice beatdown 911stripper, what mods do you have?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
I've had my car for a little while now and am contemplating a replacement, but nothing other than a budget busting F-car or vintage of some kind sounds interesting. That coupled with the 996TTs current poor resale value is leading me to think I should plan to keep my car indefinitely.

To current owners, I'm interested in hearing what you are planning to replace your 996TT with or if not, your logic for hanging on to your cars.
Dreamtripper,
This is exactly when the mod bug starts to hit. You've gotten a little bored with the car. Consider doing some mods to liven up the car a bit such as some new 24/18G turbos or some Tial GT3076's? Getting some new suspension mods would transform it into a more fun handling car. Also maybe doing some aesthetic mods to give your car a new look like a GT2 Rear wing/decklid and front bumper, or if you want something more aggressive a Techart style front bumper? It's cheaper to perform these mods than moving to an F-car and you'll fall back in love with her again. Not to mention, if you did move into an Ferrari or Lambo, you wont have anywhere near the performance that your modded 996TT would and if you wanted that kind of performance from them...I believe TT'ing a Gallardo is somewhere like in the 60-100K dollar range and that's on top of getting the car. But I will admit, the sound of either the F or L cars are intoxicating!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT - Long term keeper ???