996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

new porsche owner and new to the forum!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Project911 is infamous around these parts
new porsche owner and new to the forum!!

I am new to the forum and I just bought my first Porsche, stock 2002 Turbo. I'm thinking about just lowering on H&R springs for now so I can work on the engine upgrades.

Any thoughts??

My clutch is about to be out soon, what should I upgrade at the same time so I can save on the labor?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Project911
I am new to the forum and I just bought my first Porsche, stock 2002 Turbo. I'm thinking about just lowering on H&R springs for now so I can work on the engine upgrades.

Any thoughts??

My clutch is about to be out soon, what should I upgrade at the same time so I can save on the labor?
Thats pretty much how it started for me....that was $40K ago

Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Topless TTS is infamous around these parts
Welcome...

Forget about just using springs...better to go for coilover setup (more expensive but well worth it).

Clutch depends upon what your upgrade goals are to be...

Have fun, spend many nights here reading up on old posts through search function as there are many answers to all the questions you did not know even to ask.

Best

Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 PM
haha...thanks, i'm reading the forum everyday right now.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Diverter Valves. EVOMS GT2 Hydro clutch conversion. Flash. Coilovers. Rear sway.
Hong on.
Congratulations. Pics?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Welcome, and congratulations on your new 996TT!

With regard to the H&R springs, I've certainly noticed a pattern of people buying them, then selling them shortly soon thereafter to buy coilovers. Knowing this, I suppose I'd recommend you do some research first to see why people are doing this so that you can save some money and just apply it to coilovers. That being said, there are some screaming deals out there on 'barely used' H&R springs too.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Diverter Valves. EVOMS GT2 Hydro clutch conversion. Flash. Coilovers. Rear sway.
Hong on.
Congratulations. Pics?
I was looking to save up for the EVO660 kit, but I think i'm gonna start slow with just the stage2 kit and a stage2 clutch job. I should do the short shifter, shiftlinkage, and maybe gt2 clutch conversion while at it??

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Welcome, and congratulations on your new 996TT!

With regard to the H&R springs, I've certainly noticed a pattern of people buying them, then selling them shortly soon thereafter to buy coilovers. Knowing this, I suppose I'd recommend you do some research first to see why people are doing this so that you can save some money and just apply it to coilovers. That being said, there are some screaming deals out there on 'barely used' H&R springs too.
No doubt about that, I will eventually go to the coilovers. Is it worth installing the springs myself for now?

Last edited by Project911; 10-08-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
c2scanada is infamous around these parts
The 997 Shifter upgrade is worth it

Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
welcome project...I'm new here myself within the last week or two. Great group of guys here with a lot of valuable knowledge.

Good luck and post pics when you can.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by c2scanada
The 997 Shifter upgrade is worth it
is that better then the EVO Short Shifter Kit going for about $250?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Project911

Is it worth installing the springs myself for now?
No, H&R springs are known to sag. That is why people get rid of them. Wait and buy the coilovers.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM
will it last a year? by then i should have a full suspension upgrade, thanks for the info though.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Welcome and congratulations on your Porsche.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
ezeks is infamous around these parts
whatever you do just make sure you keep labor costs in mind..... If you are doing a clutch much more has to come out to do it so if you are looking at bigger turbos, exhaust, etc. that is the time to do it as the additional labor will be much less than coming back and doing it again later.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 AM
yeah i understand that, i'm not quite ready for the EVO gt660 kit yet. hopefully i won't regret doing the clutch and just a stage2 upgrade for now. thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new porsche owner and new to the forum!!