Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Jack pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:46 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Jack pads

I have never jacked up my Vantage before. It's strange, I have always wrenched my cars as much as I could but jacking this car looks really strange. I've looked at the jack points and they are less than inspiring spots.

On other cars I put a block of wood between the jack and the lift point and off I go. Will that work here? It looks like I'll break something if I do that. I went in search of jack pads. AP has them, but $260 shipped to my home? That's not gonna fly.

What do you do?

Old 06-09-2016, 11:05 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I've got a video on YouTube for it, just search for Telum01 on there and you'll find me.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 4 post lift with sliding jacks so it's a bit easier but I still use a 5" long piece of 2x4 between the jack arm and the lift point when I use the sliding jacks. I would imagine that it would be real difficult to align things in the very vague lift points from the side of the car on the ground. Its fairly nerve racking the first time jacking the aluminum without a clearly marked area.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:45 PM
AusTTin Bob is on a distinguished road
I use a hockey puck in the floor jack saddle and hockey pucks in the (flat) seats of my jack stands.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:51 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Easy to lift. A piece of hardwood, 5 x 1-1/2 x 3/4, works fine in back and double that thickness in front (glue two pieces together). Easy to position...just place it on the aluminum rail and then butt it up against the edge of the plastic sill. You can use some double sided tape to hold it in place while you position your jack.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AusTTin Bob
I use a hockey puck in the floor jack saddle and hockey pucks in the (flat) seats of my jack stands.
Ditto , quick , cheap , easy to do and doesnt mark any critical surfaces , stack them up as needed .

Old 06-09-2016, 03:26 PM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
Yea, hockey pucks!

Old 06-09-2016, 04:38 PM
KOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura about
I have a 12" x 12" piece of thin reflective plastic I got from a mirror shop. I just place it under the car, near the jack pad and am able to line the pad up with the hockey puck on the jack without having to bend or stoop to see under the car. Try it, you'll like the ease and accuracy of lifting the car using the mirror.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:47 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
The average DYI owner does not need jack pads. The problem is where to put the jack stands after you have jacked the car up at the recommended jacking points.
Here's what I need, a pad that fits into the jacking points and it long enough to get a jack stand under it so I can remove the jack. Ideally you would jack the car up on an elongated jack pad and then put the jack stand under the jacking point at which point you would then release and remove the jack. Make that and I will buy it