996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

buying a pre-owned 6TT - how many miles is too many miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
buying a pre-owned 6TT - how many miles is too many miles

6TT crew,

Looking at making a jump over to the next level from my current C4S......just wondering, when looking at second had 6TT's, how many miles is too many miles.......I'm thinking at looking at cars w/ less than 45K miles, but just wanted to check with everyone if they forsee any problems with higher mileage cars (meaning 65K+ miles) which can be had for mid to upper $30's. Thanks guys.

Berk

Old 10-28-2009, 07:09 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
If you are going to daily drive the car i would maybe look for a car that is around 30K miles. If its going to be a weekend warrior anything up to 50K would be fine as well. With regular maintenance like anything these cars are very reliable. Oil Changes are easy to do yourself. Less than 15 minutes. Even most other more serious jobs aren't that difficult. I wouldn't let mileage be a real concern if you find a well cared for car.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
depends on who owned it before..mine had 78k when i bought it, but i knew sharky took care of that car.. also there's a member on rennlist that has 230kmiles just regular maint and original clutch..lol

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
They're pretty solid. Make sure it's had a semi-recent 30k (aka "biennial") service even if it's not near 30/60k, as that can be a pricey one. In terms of trade-off between mileage and cost, I think the sweet spot means that above 45-50k miles, you're probably not getting much of a steal (i.e, spend $3-4k more and get 15k fewer miles).

Just take your time and find the right one. Then decide if you are okay with whatever mileage it has

Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Oh, and don't put it on your credit card

Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
wezz is on a distinguished road
I agree with Alex, it depends who owned it. Mine was an SPI prepared and maintenenced car with 69k on it -- no issues to date and the car is rock solid.

Just make sure you get a certified inspection and watch out for those 2nd gear pop out trannys.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Bmoores, Alex, Justin - Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking at one right now......here's the details, so please give me some insight.

03 Turbo w/ 37K miles, Lowered (checking to see if C/O's or Springs only), GT-2 Front bumper, short throw shifter, ECU upgrade, and custom exhaust, Loaded with factory options like the Wood shifter and e-brake, heated seats, and professionally fitted with an Alpine CD Head Unit, Amps and Speakers, and a Valentine One radar/laser detector!

He's asking $53K, but I think I can get it for $50K. Should I keep PUSHING him down???? I know that's a loaded question b/c I don't want to drive the prices down on these things, so if PM'ing what TT owners think I can get it for that's fine too so we don't broadcast it......Thanks guys!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM
wezz - Great point about the 2nd gear pop-out issues. Is this something that once fixed, the dealership would provide the owner with in terms of documentation? Basically, how can I confirm it has been fixed? Thanks.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
I'd try pushing him down a bit more, yeah. An '03 is an 7yo-ish car now, and I believe can be found on eBay for a pretty decent price. Send him some comparison cars on eBay if it helps.. Make sure the GT2 bumper is a clean job, scold yourself for liking wood interiors, and make sure to do a PPI that includes an overrev inspection!

The market is what it is, discussing it doesn't change it, even if people around here do sometimes get a bit touchy about it..

Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by boochook
wezz - Great point about the 2nd gear pop-out issues. Is this something that once fixed, the dealership would provide the owner with in terms of documentation? Basically, how can I confirm it has been fixed? Thanks.
A car with receipts is a good car to own. I'd strongly advise looking for a car with a stack of them.

For what it's worth, my car's never had the second gear pop-out AFAIK, so it's never needed to be fixed... not all cars will necessarily go through that.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:14 AM
yeah, it just sucks that the car is so far away.... its in FLA. without me making the investment to fly down and see the car in person, its tough. i'm practical and like to do things really easy...hahahaha. wood interiors are the bomb, my Boxster (please do not scold me for that) has the same color interior and wood interiors.

Thanks for the suggestion on the PPI including an overrev inspection. I'll make sure to request that.

Originally Posted by justinmm2
I'd try pushing him down a bit more, yeah. An '03 is an 7yo-ish car now, and I believe can be found on eBay for a pretty decent price. Send him some comparison cars on eBay if it helps.. Make sure the GT2 bumper is a clean job, scold yourself for liking wood interiors, and make sure to do a PPI that includes an overrev inspection!

The market is what it is, discussing it doesn't change it, even if people around here do sometimes get a bit touchy about it..

Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I think the 03's were clear of the pop out issue. The car you are looking at seems nice I think you could probably get it for 50 easily. Maybe offer 48 and see what he counters.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM
^^^Bmoores.....sounds good. I'm going to try to PUSH him......Thanks for the clarification and support guys. Looking forward to joining the crew!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 AM
wezz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by boochook
From what i've read, its only in the early 01-02 models. I think you can probably get confirmation from the dealer or through the VIN. Not sure if there is a VIN batch range that are more prone to this issue. But what i do know is that once its fixed, you should be good to go. These trannys are beefy.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Any 996TT is potentially vulnerable to it. This used to be a sticky:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lick-here.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: buying a pre-owned 6TT - how many miles is too many miles