996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Preventative measures for new-to-me 02 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:09 PM
S4Drifter is infamous around these parts
Preventative measures for new-to-me 02 Turbo?

To say that I am excited about getting my Christmas present is an understatement. 2002 996 turbo x50 bone stock. Has 49k on the clock. I used to have a 930 several years ago, so I am looking forward to being back in the p-car fold. With that said, I pick it up next week and first stop will be at the shop.

Why? Well, it had a clean PPI but needs rear tires which the owner compensated me $500 for, and I am buying out of state. Quick question about the Tires... I can get a complete set of Sumitro III's for just under $600. Should I buy all four or just buy two new Michillens for the back to match the front (50% tread left)? It also needs the brake fluid flushed (was going to use Motul) and I want to replace the DVs with Baileys or something similar.

I figure since it is going there first, I might as well take that opportunity to do any other preventative maintenance. What would you recommend? Since it is a bit of a pain to get the car there for the day, should I have the 60k service done early?

Also contemplated changing out the motor mounts to WEVO's (I will be doing some DE's) and maybe putting on PSS10's.

Sorry for all the scattered questions, excitement plus a cup of coffee have me wound up Any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM
BlueRanger is infamous around these parts
My Advice is Enjoy it !

Congrats!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Congrats...your plans sound good...suspension upgrade is a must IMHO...your other ideas are good. I would do all 4, but I'm not a fan of PS2s. Enjoy, drive safe.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Change all the fluids. Change serpentine belt. Upgrade brake fluid to SRF for the track because braking these heavy cars can boil lesser fluids. Track brake pads as well. I found PSS10's weren't sprung stiffly enough for track duty. Consider KW's or JIC's because they offer various spring rates to choose from. I have Motons. Flash the ECU. Why waste the front tires? If I were you, I'd get 2 new PS2's for the rears because normally the fronts last as long as 2 sets of rears. Then you might want to consider R compounds for the track. Motor mounts and DV upgrades are good. For track, larger sway bars and drop links are a must. Congrats and enjoy in good health.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 PM
LovemyTT is infamous around these parts
Congradulations! you will have to post some pics when you get it.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:04 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations, I hope the excitement lasts and lasts (for me it wanes after 18 mos...and i'm on to the next money pit)

I run PSS9's and Sumitomos, but I agree with above, great for aggressive street but suboptimal for other than the occasional track day. Dont get me wrong, I cannot even come close to wringing out even 75% of this cars potential on the track, so an upgrade would be lost on me, but if you are a seasoned driver, Sumi's may not be ideal for repetitive lapping and scorching track days.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
for maintaince, check coolant res tank, DV valves and new f hose while your in there.
Plugs, cabin filters, oil change, transmission flush, brake flush/bleed with good fluid. have your alignment checked with the new tires so they dont wear as fast.

for mods, 997SSK, Sway bars T3/gmg/H&r, 997 transmission mount n wevo motor mounts, performance exhaust intercoolers, flash then you need to watch your clutch for slipage

if your looking at pss10's look at KW v3 JIC and others.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Landjet fully. Corner balance of course...

JIC's, for me, have been fine on the track.

Oh, if you ever pull out the engine for a clutch...
do consider the gt2 slave change and a lighter flywheel.

JB