996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car will not start, get buzzing noise only, all electronics work.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 AM
secretvampire will become famous soon enough
Car will not start, get buzzing noise only, all electronics work.

For about the past week, I was having occasional trouble starting the car. It would work on the 3rd or 4th try. This morning, it refuses to start at all. I only get a buzzing noise when I turn the key all the way over. All other electronics, headlights, radio, etc. work fine. The battery is only 6 months old, it has not been run down and I drive the car at least a couple of times per week.

Is this the ignition switch problem I have read about on other threads or do you think something else? I have no trouble getting the key in and out of ignition.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
battery.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Really? Even with it being only 6 months old?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Get the battery tested...you say it is 6 months old...you mean that is when you bought it. Where did you get it? What kind is it? Do you keep it on a maintainer? If it were the switch, then jiggling the switch would effect the ignition. I suppose the alternator could be going as well....

Old 12-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I would go get the battery and alternator tested. You can get this done at almost any auto service center. They'll test the battery and voltage from the alternator. Once you eliminate those two things, I'd have the starter checked out.

Starters sometimes develop dead spots. I used to have a Jeep Cherokee with a dead spot in the starter. It showed the same symptoms you're describing. I'd have to get out and bang the starter with a hammer to move it off the dead spot, then it would start..lol

Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
These cars are known to kill batteries without a maintainer.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Alright, I'll get the battery tested before I go any further. I know what you guys are saying on the batteries tending to get drained, but I don't let mine sit for weeks and I also always arm the alarm when I get out. I am just a little surprised.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
If the starter has a dead spot an easy way to check would be to roll the car and drop the clutch in gear - it will bump the starter to a new spot in the armature. <- scratch that - duh! Starter not engaged when the flywheel moves. This will only work if you have a dead spot on the flywheel's ring gear. Hrm, guess hammer is the only way for this one.

Can you describe the buzzing better? Like a motor whir aka a starter not engaging but spinning or more of a clicking like a solenoid without enough juice to move the starter to the ring gear?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Can you describe the buzzing better? Like a motor whir aka a starter not engaging but spinning or more of a clicking like a solenoid without enough juice to move the starter to the ring gear?
Hmmm... that's tough, this is where my lack of knowledge about the nuts and bolts of autos hurts me. I am going to have another listen this evening before I pull the battery to have it tested, I will try to describe it better.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Ahhh... I think I figured it out (also based on a past thread I just found which sounds similar). It started right up tonight, I think my clutch engagement switch is flaky. That would explain why earlier in the week sometimes it would work after I stopped, let off the clutch, then tried to re-engage it and tried again. I'm hoping that is all it is as obviously that is a cheap and easy fix.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Yah but the buzzing sound... Try this - put the car in neutral, leave the clutch up, try to start the car. Same sounds?

Old 12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
Battery is about to detonate - step away from the car.... Sorry could resist!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
typing
with
no
spacer
be
sure
youhave
your
clutch
allthe
waydown
ifyour
carpet
slides
under
the
clutch
pedel
itwill
block
thepedel
fromgoing
down
fare
enough

Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Yah but the buzzing sound... Try this - put the car in neutral, leave the clutch up, try to start the car. Same sounds?
Yeah, it is the same. And you are right, I would describe it more as a whirring sound now that you mention it. I had just never heard it before as I've never tried to start the engine without the clutch in.

Steve may also be right, the floormat was pushed up some and could very well have been pushing out just enough under the pedal that it was not 100% depressed even though it felt like it was.

Oh well, I feel like an idiot but I guess that's how you learn. Always good to know it's something simple too, I'm one of those that always assumes the worst.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
itstarted??