996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Opinions on paint and scratch repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Opinions on paint and scratch repairs

My car is a DD and will be as long as I have it. Since I don’t plan on getting rid of it anytime soon I see a problem that I will be dealing w/ that I would like your opinion on. I take as good of care of it as you can under the circumstances. I wash it, check tire air pressure, tire wear, lug bolts, oil, coolant, and generally look it over for problems once a week.
Since it is a daily driver I know things will happen, like chips and scratches. Right now I only have a few small chips. I am sure this will continue to be a problem so I would like to know about paint chip and scratch repair products that any of you have used and your opinion on them. I really don't want to have the front end and hood repainted every spring after driving it through the winter.
I have read about a bunch of different products and systems on line but really don’t want to go through the trial and error of using them. I figured w/ the knowledge this group has on all subjects car related I would ask for your opinions first.
What I would like is this.
Product name, was it for 1 chip/scratch or many, how did the color match, how hard was it to use, was you happy w/ the results, or would you just let it get to the point of taking it to a professional body shop?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
why dont u take the car to a body shop.. have them wet sand whatever can be wetsanded... have them polish, compound and wax the car
then apply 3m film on it to protect it in the future...

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
+1, get your front end to the condition that you want, then wrap it with clear bra/film.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
why dont u take the car to a body shop.. have them wet sand whatever can be wetsanded... have them polish, compound and wax the car
then apply 3m film on it to protect it in the future...
I am a guy who likes doing most things I can myself.
1. My interest in something and how well it is done is going to be more then some1 else w/ my stuff.
2. I like to do and learn new things.
3. I'm trying to be cost prohibitive on something that will be a reoccurring issue.

Honestly I don't know much about the 3M film. It is on the mirrors but no where else. How long before you need to do it again? What is the expected cost of this procedure you are suggesting?

It still doesn’t solve any chips and scratches that happen in an area not covered by the film. I would still need to have them fixed and would prefer to do them myself.
( I don't think covering the whole car is an option. )

Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
My car is a DD and will be as long as I have it. Since I don’t plan on getting rid of it anytime soon I see a problem that I will be dealing w/ that I would like your opinion on. I take as good of care of it as you can under the circumstances. I wash it, check tire air pressure, tire wear, lug bolts, oil, coolant, and generally look it over for problems once a week.
Since it is a daily driver I know things will happen, like chips and scratches. Right now I only have a few small chips. I am sure this will continue to be a problem so I would like to know about paint chip and scratch repair products that any of you have used and your opinion on them. I really don't want to have the front end and hood repainted every spring after driving it through the winter.
I have read about a bunch of different products and systems on line but really don’t want to go through the trial and error of using them. I figured w/ the knowledge this group has on all subjects car related I would ask for your opinions first.
What I would like is this.
Product name, was it for 1 chip/scratch or many, how did the color match, how hard was it to use, was you happy w/ the results, or would you just let it get to the point of taking it to a professional body shop?

Is it me or do i remember your screen name from audiworld.com?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
Is it me or do i remember your screen name from audiworld.com?
No, it's you. I’ve never been there or on many other message boards for that matter.
I have got some info on the 3M clear bra from the nearest Porsche Dealer ( who will send me to their Nissan Service to have it done ) and l the local Mercedes Dealer.
All the major chips or scratches would have to be done before, the paint needs to be on the car for 120 days before the application and the cost for the front end and hood is between $300 and $450.00. A total package is closer to $800.

Looks like any major chips or scratches need to be taken care of and that is either by me or the body shop doing the clear bra at an additional cost. So I am back to the original question. Has any1 on here done their own paint chip and scratch touch up?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I have done paint-up in the past and depending on the damage/area it can come out decent or look like complete crap. For one minor ball-point pen tip-sized chip touching up is no problem. Take Steve's and my advice. Get it repainted then have paint protection installed. You'll never have to worry about it again. Plus the film on my Audi was waxable.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Cicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant futureCicio@TSM has a brilliant future
Airbrushing works great!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM
asgor is infamous around these parts
For small rock chips, scratches or even minor road rash I have had very good luck with Dr. Colorchip.

Color match is phenomenal, and their system (refer to the website I linked) prevents any kind of paint “blob” to ruin the final result.

I used in the past on my Audis and, really, I couldn’t have been happier. So much so that I just ordered some touch-up paint for my Guards Red Turbo.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
windydog is infamous around these parts
check out autopia for suggestions.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I used Dr. Colorchip on my black turbo. Results are good, BUT

don't think it's going to be perfect, only way to get it perfect is to respray. Works best on rock chips, not as effective on scratches IMO.

Highly recommended and easy to use.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I'd hold off on going to a body shop.

There are 2 easier and probably better steps to take before that. (I see you've already posted on the detailing section.)

1. Post pics under bright light and post it here on the detailing section. Sponsors here like Moe, Phil, (I'm probably forgetting others) are absolute EXPERTS in paint correction. Not every scratch needs wet sanding. Especially when the clear on Porsche's is very very thin. They can give you an honest assessment on cost to correct (or if a repaint, wet sand, etc. is necessary.)

2. Go to a trusted detailer in your area before you go to a body shop. A body shop may be good at prepping and painting, but that doesn't make them very good at detailing. A Flex buffer or rotary buffer and the correct sequence of polishes can save a car.

Last edited by bbywu; 01-25-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks bbywu! Most are just little/tiny chips, I don't have any scratches. In fact most people wouldn't see or think twice about them but it's my car and I see every little imperfection. I actually hate being so detailed at times, I can't see the real beauty of something because I'll see a flaw that most don't. Then from that point on I'll see the flaw before I see anything else when I look at it. I'm wanting to learn how to do this do I can better maintain my car.

My wife says they make medicine for people like me.

Thanks windydog! That is an awesome web site for info on keeping your car clean!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
CarreraMark is infamous around these parts
You have zero control over rock chips but almost 100% control over door dings (which are the most noticeable). I have 55K on my 02. Complete daily driver and lots of airport time. I dont obsess about it but i always try to park defensively. End result ... Zero door dings and only some very minor rock chips on the bumper.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Have used Dr. Colorchip too. You need to find the right amount of curing time (instructions say 2 minutes but you need to wait longer) depending on ambient temperature to get the best results, else the filler wipes away too easily when using the blending solution. It will fill in small scratches (not perfect though) if you keep adding filler after each application and blending step to build it up close to the original paint surface.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on paint and scratch repairs