996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
A 996 TT with 600 Hp + and suspension work will definitely be faster around the track than any GT3 stock assuming similar skill level drivers. I have personal experience racing my friends at the greater skill level on both 996GT3 and 997 GT3. Its not even close on the straights! …with some suspension mods 911 Turbo will be the fastest car. Alzen motorsports has the fastest car on the ring record…that’s a modified 996 turbo.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007-911
What would a 911 turbo do against a 911 GT3 if...
1) Turbos spool at 2800-3000rpms
2) Has a correctly balanced suspension
3) 600whp
4) rwd with LSD
5) sticky tires
6) equal weight as GT3

Just curious this is my next goal after I get all my supporting power mods.

Depends on the track and the two drivers. You should slaughter the GT3 on anything with long straights. On tight courses, your hands will be full unless you have the car dialed in.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
sechsgang that is a cup car with a fresh 3.8 factory motorsport engine?

gl with that Heavy!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Depends on the track and the two drivers. You should slaughter the GT3 on anything with long straights. On tight courses, your hands will be full unless you have the car dialed in.
+ 1 That's the ultimate answer. Go to road america in your 996tt , you wont even see the Gt3 again...Blackhawk and gingerman is a challenge but can be done.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tvurt
sechsgang that is a cup car with a fresh 3.8 factory motorsport engine?

gl with that Heavy!
its still a 3.6, but its what I like to call "special"...ehem...put it this way, its not in GTC3 thats for sure.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
A few questions:

Do you need some time to get acclimated to the car? Give me a time frame for when you'll be ready. I have the dreaded throwout bearing eating clutch issue I want to get resolved which shouldn't take long and adding some goodies. Better get me while I'm still on stock turbos.

What tires do you plan to run? R80/100's? I have some used ones, but they seem to cut down on Turbos pretty easily (for me and Al Norton) so I need to find a comparable tire.
R100s and take your time, Ill want at least an event at pocono long course (so I can make sure this thing is ok all the way up to top speed, and the glen so I can dial in the handling. I was thinking about finding something for VIR in July. (later).

Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
Not really surprised this has migrated to a contest, but the question is still "can a turbo be made to handle as well as a GT3?" In ultimate grip? Yes. In fine-tuned ability to control the car precisely around a turn? No. It's much easier to vary torque at a more granular level with an NA motor.

Now, moving the question to whether an NA can keep up with a turbo on a track is just idiotic. HP is HP is HP. Same car, same suspension, more power wins. Period. GT2 is always going to be faster around N'ring than GT3, can't even imagine how you could possibly argue any other outcome.

And the only way that "fine tuned" throttle makes up for the difference is if you are talking relatively close power levels (say 30hp or so).

Keep in mind, we aren't talking on/off 930s, the newer TTs have pretty linear power delivery. Just a LOT MORE!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by earlierapex
Not really surprised this has migrated to a contest, but the question is still "can a turbo be made to handle as well as a GT3?" In ultimate grip? Yes. In fine-tuned ability to control the car precisely around a turn? No. It's much easier to vary torque at a more granular level with an NA motor.

Now, moving the question to whether an NA can keep up with a turbo on a track is just idiotic. HP is HP is HP. Same car, same suspension, more power wins. Period. GT2 is always going to be faster around N'ring than GT3, can't even imagine how you could possibly argue any other outcome.

And the only way that "fine tuned" throttle makes up for the difference is if you are talking relatively close power levels (say 30hp or so).

Keep in mind, we aren't talking on/off 930s, the newer TTs have pretty linear power delivery. Just a LOT MORE!

No question there...but, my little competition is more about competing against a full bore racecar rather than a street gt3. Street for street a modded turbo can def edge out a modded gt3. Takes a crapload of money, but its doable for sure.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Wow what a great thread, I think Heavy hit the nail on the head. The GT3 is more of an inertia car so it will do very well on handling tracks. But on horsepower tracks the 911 TT should have no problems. I am glad to hear that the corner speeds can be similar with mods, because I am a power nut so a 996 TT modified or GT2 would be the only 996 I would consider!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sechsgang
No question there...but, my little competition is more about competing against a full bore racecar rather than a street gt3. Street for street a modded turbo can def edge out a modded gt3. Takes a crapload of money, but its doable for sure.
gotta give the edge to the racecar then. I see fairly well driven cup cars run 1:58 to 2:00 pretty consistently at VIR, and I only know of 2 996TT(both GT2s) that have broken 2 minutes with *perfect* setups and lots of power (still street legal though).

You have to admit though that a car that is still streetable with 500 extra pounds being almost as fast as a cup car is astonishing.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by earlierapex
gotta give the edge to the racecar then. I see fairly well driven cup cars run 1:58 to 2:00 pretty consistently at VIR, and I only know of 2 996TT(both GT2s) that have broken 2 minutes with *perfect* setups and lots of power (still street legal though).

You have to admit though that a car that is still streetable with 500 extra pounds being almost as fast as a cup car is astonishing.
Oh hell ya, no doubt about it at ALL!

And just for a little tidbit, this car has been around VIR "significantly" faster than a 1:58... Wont say what the time is yet bc I need to match it first...but I said this wasnt the average cup either

Old 05-25-2010, 02:10 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I really wanted to stay away from this thread... but that is the key, WEIGHT

Yes power is a part of it, but I find on most circuits it is very difficult to get the power down and find the sweet spot with the turbo... I myself was running quicker times at 1bar rather than 1.2bar... power was just too ferocious out of the turn... Cup Car is quicker through the turn and exit by the time you catch up your in the next turn and the Cup would be away again and remember that's not taking braking into consideration... again really depends which circuit, but 90% of the time the Cup Car would checkout.

Good to see how Dez does... what are both your times there?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
well, i will have what the car ran there on file, but because I havent ran it there, I cant exactly say myself. But that said Im pretty confident this will be a fun competition.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
A 996 TT with 600 Hp + and suspension work will definitely be faster around the track than any GT3 stock assuming similar skill level drivers. I have personal experience racing my friends at the greater skill level on both 996GT3 and 997 GT3. Its not even close on the straights! …with some suspension mods 911 Turbo will be the fastest car. Alzen motorsports has the fastest car on the ring record…that’s a modified 996 turbo.
+1 Uwe Alzen 7:04 at the Ring RECORD 996 TT............GT3 has nothing to do with a modded 996tt.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
R100s and take your time, Ill want at least an event at pocono long course (so I can make sure this thing is ok all the way up to top speed, and the glen so I can dial in the handling. I was thinking about finding something for VIR in July. (later).
End of July is out for me. I'm planning to run the PBOC/Viper days event if I can get the clutch sorted out in time. That is July 9-11. If not then, I'm running Road Atlanta end of July and wouldn't want to make that trip again back to back. Isn't there big fall event we can go to (September or so).

I've only been to VIR once (march 08'), and I still have some learning to do, especially oak tree. But hopefully we can put this off till fall so I can get one more weekend up there. My car though, is quite different from what I drove in 08.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?