996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earlierapex
I agree, but I also think the GT3 crowd is overstating the case that it can keep up on a "tight" track. Assuming a bit of engine work on a turbo and 150 to 200 more hp, it gains a HUGE advantage anywhere you can use the power coming out of turns. For example, between T1 and T3 at VIR, the short straight before T4, the short straight at VIR before the esses, the really short straight after T10, between T3 and T5 at Road Atlanta, etc. I can't think of a track without some straights, and the turbo advantage on even the smallest straight is significant.

With 200+ more hp, a turbo just swallows the GT3 whole anywhere you can use the throttle.
Yes, but the problem with that is that whatever you make up on the straight, a good GT3 driver can make up in the braking zone. You can go faster quicker, but they can go flat longer. It's frustrating, but I've had a guy who races the nurburgring 24 hr race do that to me for a whole weekend in a 996 GT3. I was a 2-3 seconds faster a lap, but mostly because Road Atlanta is a HP track. I think he'd give me a serious run on a track like Barber.

The GT3 actually has a a better advantage on tracks with long sweeping turns (a lot of them). It turns in better, pushes less and can carry more speed do to it's lighter weight. The long sweeping turns are the equalizer because you are turning for a long time and can't use all of the power during that time, so the more precise steering car will have the advantage. On the contrary, slow sharp turns mean you need torque to get out of them and that actually helps the Turbo's.

I think a place like Roebling Road would be hard for a Turbo to match the GT3. It's ALL long sweepers. But you can still make up at least a second on the straights.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Prche951
can't wait to see this one. you have any large pics of your car, post them, it looks nice in the avatar, but small.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-996-gt3.html

Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

wow, that is all I can say. What a beast.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
No doubt man. Im in no rush, just gives me more time to get to know the beast Ill publish the times from VIR if I can get there in July.
Don't ignore me Drew

Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No reason we can't all be there. It's a good little drive for all three of us so let's plan wisely and make it work. If I'm not close enough I'll be back once my car is in kill mode for NASA. Still have 100-150 more lbs to shed and 80-100 whp to gain.

We definitely need to plan a trip to the Glen/Road America/Mid Ohio or something for next year. Maybe even a west coast trip, I already have a group in Atlanta ready to go. Laguna or Miller. What's up???

We also have Atlanta Motorsports Park under construction, so if you guys planned to come spend a week or at least some days in Atlanta we could run AMP during the week as I know enough members to get us in and then run Road Atlanta on the weekend.

We've been slacking on the group trips, need to get it going again.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No reason we can't all be there. It's a good little drive for all three of us so let's plan wisely and make it work. If I'm not close enough I'll be back once my car is in kill mode for NASA. Still have 100-150 more lbs to shed and 80-100 whp to gain.

We definitely need to plan a trip to the Glen/Road America/Mid Ohio or something for next year. Maybe even a west coast trip, I already have a group in Atlanta ready to go. Laguna or Miller. What's up???

We also have Atlanta Motorsports Park under construction, so if you guys planned to come spend a week or at least some days in Atlanta we could run AMP during the week as I know enough members to get us in and then run Road Atlanta on the weekend.

Come to Laguna... Plenty of fun stuff to do in Northern California. Plus as well as Laguna, we have Sears Point/Infineon (REALLY technical track, tons of elevation changes and challenging) and Thunderhill Raceway (with a 3/4 mile front straight).. Plus, plenty of Porsche GT3, GT2 and TT owners around here to show you some fun back roads...You guys would have a blast.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Come to Laguna... Plenty of fun stuff to do in Northern California. Plus as well as Laguna, we have Sears Point/Infineon (REALLY technical track, tons of elevation changes and challenging) and Thunderhill Raceway (with a 3/4 mile front straight).. Plus, plenty of Porsche GT3, GT2 and TT owners around here to show you some fun back roads...You guys would have a blast.

Yeah they would the 31st at laguna right ? I'm on the waitlist but regardless i'm going to hang out.

I'm thinking i need a trailer to my car to thill on the 4th. I have 600 miles before my warranty expires, and I have 2 repairs that need to be done, as they are booked untill weds of next week.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Yeah they would the 31st at laguna right ? I'm on the waitlist but regardless i'm going to hang out.

I'm thinking i need a trailer to my car to thill on the 4th. I have 600 miles before my warranty expires, and I have 2 repairs that need to be done, as they are booked untill weds of next week.
Yup... 31st.. It's a PCA/Trackmasters event.

I think the recent tweaks to my Car will pay dividends.. Hoping to set some all time personal best Lap Times if the track temperature is decent...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Don't ignore me Drew
Ill take you on too haha. For us though, the glen is WAYYY easier.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:45 PM

Oh no you don't. If I come to the Glen you guys have to come to Road Atlanta. I'm down for that, but I want it in writing.....

Watkins Glen is 14 hours for us on mapquest. (So round up to 12 hrs )

Old 05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
My car won't be very streetable by the time I get out to you guys. But I'm down for a mountain run. But you guys have to be planning to return the favor. Maybe Road America in 12'

Old 05-26-2010, 10:03 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !

NICE! Let's coordinate it, will be a ton of fun...

GOOD, thought you were getting a little scurred for a sec jk

Oh no you don't. If I come to the Glen you guys have to come to Road Atlanta. I'm down for that, but I want it in writing.....

Watkins Glen is 14 hours for us on mapquest. (So round up to 12 hrs )
I would LOVE to visit Road Atlanta, I haven't been there yet!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I dont mind road atlanta but given the total cost for me I would probably end up renting again...

That said, I can easily settle martin up here, and you at vir, thats of course unless you both want to go home sad...I mean, misery does love company

lol, too much fun.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't want to hear that, you guys have room and board better than any hotel out here waiting for you in Atlanta and under 10 minutes to the track. Guaranteed your overall cost will be less than any other track. Then I can beat you down at Road Atlanta, and then bring you back and let my Wife's good cookin soothe the damaged ego.........

HEHE

You don't want to see me at Road A. Let's put that fancy jig to the test.

You know what, after we find a place for me to mop you guys up this year how about we meet at a neutral track next year and see what's up. Road America anyone? Mid-ohio? Somewhere none of us have been. And see who's boss.

Last edited by heavychevy; 05-27-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I dont mind road atlanta but given the total cost for me I would probably end up renting again...

That said, I can easily settle martin up here, and you at vir, thats of course unless you both want to go home sad...I mean, misery does love company

lol, too much fun.
HAHAHA even if you did indeed beat my laptime in your "super duper" cup vs my street GT2, how about I hop in your gt3 cup in return and post faster times than YOU That would really bruise your ego

BTW I want you at VIR !!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to hear that, you guys have room and board better than any hotel out here waiting for you in Atlanta and under 10 minutes to the track. Guaranteed your overall cost will be less than any other track. Then I can beat you down at Road Atlanta, and then bring you back and let my Wife's good cookin soothe the damaged ego.........

HEHE

You don't want to see me at Road A. Let's put that fancy jig to the test.

You know what, after we find a place for me to mop you guys up this year how about we meet at a neutral track next year and see what's up. Road America anyone? Mid-ohio? Somewhere none of us have been. And see who's boss.
WELL D, I am up for it and wanted to get to Road Atlanta for the longest/....Obviously I haven't been there, you'll mop me up, but you know i'm a quick learner

Let's set it up, can we get 3 days out there?

And a neutral track would be an awesome idea.. Mid Ohio sounds good, Road America or even Roebling Road that D Hinkle rents out??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?