996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 AM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?

So this question has been the topic of many debates with my close mates. Especially one with a RUF 996 GT3 with 417HP (you know who you are). The argument is the TT is made primarily as a GT (grand tourer) a disappointment at the track basically. I feel that with the right adjustments it can be a dream. Im not talking about making 800 + HP from the engine. I think that defeats the purpose, too much HP will affect handling / grip, amongst other things. I think more than a few light mods to the engine would be overkill.
SO, the question is: Can you take a 996 TT, lighten it a bit (rear seat delete + rear cage), lower & adjust the suspension, play with camber, keeping it AWD etc and make a fantastic handling road car AND competitive track car? turning the Turbo into a TurboGT3?
Maybe Its the FORZA 3 talking but Im wondering if anyone has done it? or your general thoughts about this? PICS ARE DEFIANTLY WANTED. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
In a straight line a 996TT (X50) can beat a pre 2010 997 GT3RS if the run is to top speed. In the curves not a chance even with suspension mods to the 996TT. This does not include the 2010 GT3RS that stock to stock can also beat a 996TT (unmodded engine) in a straight line. The AWD is most of the problem. Weight and lots of understeer but it keeps your *** out of trouble. The 997 GT3RS shares very little with the 996TT were it counts. Everything that does counts is different especially the suspension geometry/components and weight (no sunroof, no rear seats, very little sound deadning, fixed wing, no double din stereo/nav, much lighter seats, no AWD, no turbo component weight). I don't know the total weight reduction but it is significant (300 plus pounds) You're better off just buying a GT2 if you want the power of a Turbo with the handling of a GT3RS. Although I've modded my 996TT, I have no illusions of running with a 997GT3RS or GT2 on a the track. (besides, i like the sun roof and other creature comforts).

Last edited by Duane996tt; 01-26-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:48 AM
AlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
In a straight line a 996TT (X50) can beat a pre 2010 997 GT3RS if the run is to top speed. In the curves not a chance even with suspension mods to the 996TT. This does not include the 2010 GT3RS that stock to stock can also beat a 996TT (unmodded engine) in a straight line. The AWD is most of the problem. Weight and lots of understeer but it keeps your *** out of trouble. The 997 GT3RS shares very little with the 996TT were it counts. Everything that does counts is different especially the suspension geometry/components and weight (no sunroof, no rear seats, very little sound deadning, fixed wing, no double din stereo/nav, much lighter seats, no AWD, no turbo component weight). I don't know the total weight reduction but it is significant (300 plus pounds) You're better off just buying a GT2 if you want the power of a Turbo with the handling of a GT3RS. Although I've modded my 996TT, I have no illusions of running with a 997GT3RS or GT2 on a the track. (besides, i like the sun roof and other creature comforts).
Great Post, rep, Thanks.

-Alex

Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Of course you can. Can you do it for a reasonable expense is the question.
If reasonable is 40k for a custom suspension, and track prep, braking and interior gutting and refinish, then yes.

Lots of guys have spent way more then that on power mods, why not go all out for a great track toy that you can still DD?

Crap my car came with 10k in receipts just for clutches. That would have been well down the road for some motons.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I don't see why you couldn't do this whatsoever, but in the end you'll basically just be building a car similar to the GT2. All it takes is money at the end of the day.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I don't see why you couldn't do this whatsoever, but in the end you'll basically just be building a car similar to the GT2. All it takes is money at the end of the day.
+1 I agree with Steve

Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 AM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Agreed, I understand all you need is money, but 40K?!? are the parts gold plated? I wonder if anyone here has done that? kept it AWD just lightly tuned and made the car handle?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by baq
Agreed, I understand all you need is money, but 40K?!? are the parts gold plated? I wonder if anyone here has done that? kept it AWD just lightly tuned and made the car handle?

It depends on what you realy want to do.If you only want to play with friends on a track what you need is k24 turbos,a good flash and a good muffler but most important to practice much on the track to impruve your ability in driving.I have do it with friends and beat them on the track,but we are not good drivers.
If you want to compite,thats something else and there are some guys in the forum that know what to do.I don't

Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Well, another way to look at it is that if you're talking about competitive lap times, it's pretty much a drivers race already. The track layout will have something to do with this of course, but a pro driver in a bone stock 996TT is going to out-lap a novice in a GT3 handily. The comparison you speak of is likely comparing two drivers of equal skill level though, in which case the mods would certainly be required.

Some nice video for you to observe would be of forum member ThePunisher, who has some great on-track footage running his modified (AWD) 996TT against various other cars on tracks, including the 997 GT3 RS. Here is a link to one of his more recent threads: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...onza-more.html

Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
There is no doubt that a 996T can be made to handle as well as a GT3 or better.

It boils down to set up, who is doing it and the components you use on the car.

Out of the box no.. But with the proper mods you can make it work and it can be as fast as a equally set up 997 GT3.

And, No you dont need to spend 40k on suspension..

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 01-26-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by baq
The answer to the thread question is NO! You cannot make a Turbo handle like a GT3. But you can make it faster than one. You can take 200lbs out of the car with relative ease and add some hp. With the suspension you will NEED a good set of coilovers (with camber plate or lower control arms/dog bones) and sways. They work together to control the weight of the car under load. The rest of the stuff people buy has no quantifiable benefit to faster lap times. They do make the car a better track car though and easier to manage and more durable as the Turbo is full of rubber stock and those rubber parts begin to fail with heavy track usage, but they can get the job done for a while before they start to go.

Basics are what get you there:

Coilovers with Camber Plates and Monoball mounts
Sway Bar (rear)
Alignment/Corner Balance
Weight Reduction (150-200 lbs helps a lot)
A little hp (tune exhaust is enough)
Wider Wheels (at the least in the front)

Depending on which coilovers/exhaust you go with, all of that can be done for under 10k if you're really good at searching and easily under 15k.

If you want to smoke them, get a GT wing and front splitter to help utilize all that extra hp in the corners and under braking and it's curtains.

That being said, a better driver in the GT3 will still beat you. And if he can go fast in the GT3 there is a good chance he's a better driver.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-26-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Threads like this make this place a great read!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I don't see why not. 40k is unreasonable. I'm not an expert, but here's my logic.
Basically the difference is weight and suspension.
Suspension... sways and coilovers camber plates or lowers. Solved. 4-5k parts.
Weight - lots of folks have done it. Rip and tear, but you'll still have a sunroof... and lots of more power.

What am I missing?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
not exactly
the geometry on a gt3 is different than that of a 996tt

but with the removal of awd, and a great coilover suspension, including control arms, toe arms, etc etc, you can make it handle better than a gt3

dont forget tires aswell

it might out grip a gt3, but as far as steering feel and responsiveness, i dont know

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
my 996 has the rear wheel drive conversion

coil overs, camber plates, and dog bones...
and in no way shape or form is it as nimble as a gt3

but it is however a night and day difference from a stock 996

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?