996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earlierapex
If the question were "can a TT be made faster than a GT3?" The answer is YES!

Can a TT be made to handle as precisely as a GT3? The answer is NO!
and what earth shattering evidence have you provided to prove your point? none. The fact is that those lap times are for a totally stock turbo. Really not much of a difference. That plus the other evidence proves you wrong, plain fact a Turbo can be made to handle as good if not better.

I think the outsider FFsupra has learned more from this thread than you have. you seemed to have apexed way to early

Last edited by Prche951; 02-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Come on Dennis, That's hitting a bit below the belt there now! He's just focusing on that fine precision steering/ handling, that's all!!

Seriously, no harm or ill intent here from this point forward by me... I find it all humorous... We love these cars gang, and this IS the 996 TURBO category. Of course we're going to be passionate about them!

In the end, it's way less about the car and more about the personalities behind the wheel, right? Let's all have a group hug and admit the GT3, of any varient out of the box, is well ahead of the Turbo in stock trim. I believe to a man (or woman) we can all agree on that one thing... Beyond that, all the "aftermarket" variables blurr the lines beyond agreement on either side!

Draw?

Mike

Originally Posted by Prche951
I think the outsider FFsupra has learned more from this thread than you have. you seemed to have apexed way to early

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Come on Dennis, That's hitting a bit below the belt there now! He's just focusing on that fine precision steering/ handling, that's all!!

Seriously, no harm or ill intent here from this point forward by me... I find it all humorous... We love these cars gang, and this IS the 996 TURBO category. Of course we're going to be passionate about them!

In the end, it's way less about the car and more about the personalities behind the wheel, right? Let's all have a group hug and admit the GT3, of any varient out of the box, is well ahead of the Turbo in stock trim. I believe to a man (or woman) we can all agree on that one thing... Beyond that, all the "aftermarket" variables blurr the lines beyond agreement on either side!

Draw?

Mike
I think that is one of the first things I said before I was attacked. in stock trim yes GT3 rocks, IF!! you know how to drive it.

I think we have played out here. There is no more to be said. If with all the provided evidence on one side, the other can't agree, then they will never agree. So be it.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Prche951
and what earth shattering evidence have you provided to prove your point? none.
You can't really be serious? Read any magazine with an overview of subjective handling traits. How about EVO naming the GT3 both the best track car and the best overall sports car multiple times over the last 10 years? Walter Rohrl has said himself that the GT3 handles better than the GT2 (which I would suspect is more drivable than a modified 6TT in everyone's eyes on the entire earth other than the pro 6tt guys posting over the last 3 pages).

If you were to ask 100 journalists/serious drivers/racers whether a 996TT could be made to handle like a 997GT3, I doubt 1, much less 10, would say yes.

The only people who would say yes are 996TT owners on an internet forum that haven't driven a GT3...

Having said all that, I'll probably buy a 6GT2 as my next track car (but I'm honest with myself about what it can and can't do).

Old 02-11-2010, 12:43 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think this question is being looked at from two different standpoints. Handling like can be subjective or objective. Objectively yes the TT can be made to handle as well, meaning it can achieve the same entry apex and exit speeds. Subjectively, I will say that no the TT cannot. Whether or not that is good or not depends on the driver because objectivity is about personal opinion.

Objectively the general consensus (including me) will say that the GT3 is more precise with the steering and gives more driver feedback. IMO the GT3 (especially 996 which I like the feel of better than the 997) is as good as it gets in that area. What it would take to completely replicate or exceed that feel in a Turbo I have no idea.

The fact is that the GT3 is one of the finest drivers cars of all time, and that is engineered in, which is hard to replicate with aftermarket parts.

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-11-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
You can't really be serious? Read any magazine with an overview of subjective handling traits. How about EVO naming the GT3 both the best track car and the best overall sports car multiple times over the last 10 years? Walter Rohrl has said himself that the GT3 handles better than the GT2 (which I would suspect is more drivable than a modified 6TT in everyone's eyes on the entire earth other than the pro 6tt guys posting over the last 3 pages).

If you were to ask 100 journalists/serious drivers/racers whether a 996TT could be made to handle like a 997GT3, I doubt 1, much less 10, would say yes.

The only people who would say yes are 996TT owners on an internet forum that haven't driven a GT3...

Having said all that, I'll probably buy a 6GT2 as my next track car (but I'm honest with myself about what it can and can't do).
Porsche Excellence did a review on the GT2 vs the GT3 RS.. They said the GT2's new found suspension geometry/component setup was LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the GT3 RS, and that the RS was better than the GT3... You obviously don't know what you are talking about, especially since your 'honest" of what a GT2 can and can't do? What "can't" it do to you?? 930man (Matt's) full street weight 996 GT2 pulling under a 2 flat at VIR, which is cup car territory sure seems "slow"... Especially my times at SEVERAL tracks rivaling them as well.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You ever written a magazine article? I have. I've had my stuff cut up and turned out as something I couldn't recognize, then published with my name on it... Car related, to be specific. I've also read FLAT LIES in print by auto journalists that I know personally... You really should stick to what your personal experiences are. You do much better with them... Just like the comments previously posted about Rohrl... I don't CARE about his opinion. And I damned sure could care less about the opinions of other motor journalists... You know who'se opinion I care about? Mine. I'm sure you're the same... But come on man. I extend the olive branch and this is your response???

And don't lay that "pro 996TT driver" bullshyte on me. I am an amature driver and that's all I've ever claimed to be. You want to come play with me in a Spec Miata class?? Now THERE's a real "handling" competition... Zero power, and ALL driver... And get over yourself... I've driven a COUPLE of GT3s... and two gt2s... They felt more nimble, a little crisper steering... otherwise they felt surprisingly like my 996TT when set up with gobs of negative camber.

I really wish the mods would just lock this whole thread and be done with it, and the nonsense associated with it...

Mike Kelly

Last edited by Mikelly; 02-12-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
TRUTH:

90%+ of turbo owners don't drive their cars anywhere near the limit, reason, it will scare the sh*t out of you when you do.

repeating what some other turbo owners have said, if you spend some money on suspension, minor power upgrades and do some free weigh loss mods, turbos will outrun 6GT3's on the track.

To avoid any confusion, that doesn't mean that the turbo will "FEEL" the same way a GT3 feels when driven to the limit.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM

it is you who can't be serious. My gosh, myself, HC and Mike provide facts and you provide opinions...ROTFLMAO...This is too much.

oh, and for your info, I have driven 996 GT3's and 997 GT3's as well as 996 GT2 and 997 Turbo. I have driven CarreraS's and C4S's. I have never driven a 997 GT2, but I suspect that is the ultimate porsche 911. I think it is you that have not driven anything.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM
And those who agree with you??? Their opinions may be of value to you... Not so much to me... Got it?

I mean really... At the end of the day, do you really care about my opinion?

And I don't care much about yours...It won't keep me from developing mine. It won't keep me from tracking mine. It won't stop me from dropping drivers in superior GT2/3s...
Mike

Originally Posted by GTDeux
For ME, I love the inferior GT2 and 3 and can live with all the shortcomings, and there are many who seem to agree.

Last edited by Mikelly; 02-12-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm a debater at heart and love trading details in order to draw a conclusion but when it comes down to it bench racing doesn't make you any faster on the track.

The GT3 is a potent machine, and IMO is hp for lb the best car there is. Is probably the best track ready and well engineered car from the factory ever made. But I will mop the floor with them every chance I get, just like I will anything else I can.

I guess the main point is lets not lose sight of the fact that we are here because we love Porsche's whether or not we agree on how fast one is or isn't the big picture. We can disagree with facts without being disagreeable and insulting to others.

We have a much better time at the track together than on the internet bickering. I guess the off season is starting to get to our heads. I apologize if I've offended anyone here.

As for me, this is a case where I can prove my points personally and I intend to do so. For any new 6 TT owners or owners who have yet to track their car, take a look at the laptimes thread and see times that people from this very section are setting all over the country. Your car is fast, don't buy into the negativity.

Get some seat time and instruction and I assure you that you won't get passed much at the track.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm a debater at heart and love trading details in order to draw a conclusion but when it comes down to it bench racing doesn't make you any faster on the track.

The GT3 is a potent machine, and IMO is hp for lb the best car there is. Is probably the best track ready and well engineered car from the factory ever made. But I will mop the floor with them every chance I get, just like I will anything else I can.

I guess the main point is lets not lose sight of the fact that we are here because we love Porsche's whether or not we agree on how fast one is or isn't the big picture. We can disagree with facts without being disagreeable and insulting to others.

We have a much better time at the track together than on the internet bickering. I guess the off season is starting to get to our heads. I apologize if I've offended anyone here.

As for me, this is a case where I can prove my points personally and I intend to do so. For any new 6 TT owners or owners who have yet to track their car, take a look at the laptimes thread and see times that people from this very section are setting all over the country. Your car is fast, don't buy into the negativity.

Get some seat time and instruction and I assure you that you won't get passed much at the track.
Preach on brotha! BTW i'll be in ATL for a wedding in April, maybe you me and Jenk can meet up if you guy's will be free for a bit?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
What week?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I have a novel idea... Why don't the GT3 lovers start the same thread in their category?

This is the 996 TURBO forum.

Mike

Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I have a novel idea... Why don't the GT3 lovers start the same thread in their category?

This is the 996 TURBO forum.

Mike
LOL that would be a total flame fest! Can a GT3 handle like a Turbo - lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?