996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

clutch accumalator went bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 PM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
If you are getting the high pitched noise that goes away when you push in the clutch- all you need is the 997 power steering reservoir. I had mine replaced, fixed the noise- and hopefully won't catch fire!

And the GT2 slave conversion won't stop the noise as far as I know.
I just need the reservoir not the pump to go with it?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by harkerdude
I just need the reservoir not the pump to go with it?
Yep.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Reservoir TSB.pdf (33.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 PM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
Yep.
Thank you PAULUNM. Will gt2 power steering pump work with the updated reservoir?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 AM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
If you are getting the high pitched noise that goes away when you push in the clutch- all you need is the 997 power steering reservoir. I had mine replaced, fixed the noise- and hopefully won't catch fire!

And the GT2 slave conversion won't stop the noise as far as I know.
Can anyone else confirm that the EVOMS GT2 slave conversion will not get rid of the high pitched noise? I have the kit but have not installed it yet.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:40 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by harkerdude
Thank you PAULUNM. Will gt2 power steering pump work with the updated reservoir?
As far as I know it will.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
ait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jimmy k
Can anyone else confirm that the EVOMS GT2 slave conversion will not get rid of the high pitched noise? I have the kit but have not installed it yet.
It fixed it for me. I bought the updated reservoir to fix the high-pitched noise but before i got a chance to install it my accumulator went bad. I went and did the GT2 slave conversion and my tech said to hold off on the reservoir replacement because he thinks that it would address the noise. That was 4 months ago, and so far I have not heard the noise at all.

I still have the new tank in my garage just in case, but I will probably unload it soon.

Ed

Old 06-30-2010, 03:45 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ait109
It fixed it for me. I bought the updated reservoir to fix the high-pitched noise but before i got a chance to install it my accumulator went bad. I went and did the GT2 slave conversion and my tech said to hold off on the reservoir replacement because he thinks that it would address the noise. That was 4 months ago, and so far I have not heard the noise at all.

I still have the new tank in my garage just in case, but I will probably unload it soon.

Ed

We learn every day! I am really surprise by this fact. Good to know, thanks.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
rlevy996 is on a distinguished road
My clutch is only stiff at start up. The clutch peddle feels fine after the first or second push. I am told i need a clutch accumulator. Since this causes little inconvenience what would be the risk of being cheep and ignoring the problem.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rlevy996
My clutch is only stiff at start up. The clutch peddle feels fine after the first or second push. I am told i need a clutch accumulator. Since this causes little inconvenience what would be the risk of being cheep and ignoring the problem.
The inconvenience is that once it starts to go south, it will only get worse. The next stage is that the clutch starts to engage higher and higher. It gets to be quite difficult to drive at that point. I had mine repaired at that stage, when it was at least still drivable. If you schedule the maintenance, it is a lot easier to choose a convenient time to get it done.

Jon

Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 AM
rlevy996 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, that helpful?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
My 03's accumulator went out my other car (my Boxster) was already in the shop so didn't want to drop off the Turbo there too and have to get a rental car, so I asked the tech about postponing fixing the accumulator and the tech told me that I could continue to drive the car there would be no harm.

I did continue to drive the car though I did notice a bit of pulsing through the clutch pedal. Normal with a bad accumulator, when it is working the accumulator tends to dampen that.

What you have to be careful about though is the clutch slave cylinder failing.

While I continued to drive my car a few days after the accumulator went out I noticed fluid on the plastic panel under the front trunk on the driver's side. The clutch reservoir under this and when the clutch slave cylinder starts to go bad fluid backs up in this reservoir and overflows. The fluid can damage rubber hoses maybe even paint.

Thankfully about the time I noticed the leak the other car was fixed and I dropped off the Turbo then drove away in my fixed car. A few days later the Turbo was fixed and that was that.

Sort of. The Turbo was covered at the time by a CPO warranty. But not too long after the accum/slave cylinder job the warranty expired and I started hearing a high pitched (though faint) squeal.

The tech told me this is a valve in some power steering/clutch power circuit tank that is the cause of the noise.

The valve is not sold separately: One has to buy the tank to get the valve. The problem is the tank costs (at the dealer) around $1000. Supposedly it is a very nice tank but $1000? Ouch!

Again I talked to the tech and he told me the noise is nothing major and I can choose to let it go. So far I have let it go. Thankfully the noise is not that loud and in fact doesn't appear all that often and when it does all I have to do is depress then release the clutch pedal and the noise is gone.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
No problem leaving it like it is, according to 3 long time techs (friends) at the P dealer. Mine was bad for 7-8 months and I just got tired of the somewhat juddery clutch pedal so I replaced it. It's actually very simple to do and the most difficult part was making the tool for removal. I bought the new 997 replacement on ebay for $119 2-3 months ago and it took less than an hour from start to finish to replace it. Most of the time is spent jacking up and securing the car, jacking it down and cleaning up. It's a lot like changing a hard to get at oil filter. Now my clutch action is feather light and smooth action all the time. I may in time do the GT2 clutch release mod as I'd prefer more feel and less potential problem areas.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Macster
My 03's accumulator went out my other car (my Boxster) was already in the shop so didn't want to drop off the Turbo there too and have to get a rental car, so I asked the tech about postponing fixing the accumulator and the tech told me that I could continue to drive the car there would be no harm.

I did continue to drive the car though I did notice a bit of pulsing through the clutch pedal. Normal with a bad accumulator, when it is working the accumulator tends to dampen that.

What you have to be careful about though is the clutch slave cylinder failing.

While I continued to drive my car a few days after the accumulator went out I noticed fluid on the plastic panel under the front trunk on the driver's side. The clutch reservoir under this and when the clutch slave cylinder starts to go bad fluid backs up in this reservoir and overflows. The fluid can damage rubber hoses maybe even paint.

Thankfully about the time I noticed the leak the other car was fixed and I dropped off the Turbo then drove away in my fixed car. A few days later the Turbo was fixed and that was that.

Sort of. The Turbo was covered at the time by a CPO warranty. But not too long after the accum/slave cylinder job the warranty expired and I started hearing a high pitched (though faint) squeal.

The tech told me this is a valve in some power steering/clutch power circuit tank that is the cause of the noise.

The valve is not sold separately: One has to buy the tank to get the valve. The problem is the tank costs (at the dealer) around $1000. Supposedly it is a very nice tank but $1000? Ouch!

Again I talked to the tech and he told me the noise is nothing major and I can choose to let it go. So far I have let it go. Thankfully the noise is not that loud and in fact doesn't appear all that often and when it does all I have to do is depress then release the clutch pedal and the noise is gone.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Your dealer is trying to give you the colonic. The power steering reservoir is under $700 for the 996tt and about $500 for the GT2 version if you have the conversion done. The noise comes from a valve in the reservoir that vibrates when the pentosin heats up. I believe its addressed in Porsche bulletin A307 if memory servers me correct.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My easycare covered all the parts and labor, no questions asked.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Here's the tsb:

Attached Images