996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DE - Head and Neck Restraint Alternative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
DE - Head and Neck Restraint Alternative

I am already thinking about this season's DE events with 12" of snow on the ground here in NY. I have a stock TT with stock seats and belts. I am in the Yellow Group and probably thinking of doing 4-6 events this year. Before any other serious mods I was looking into safety devices.

I use the car as a DD and not looking to upgrade to racing seats, roll bar, and 5 point harness that would allow a HANS device. I found this on another site:

http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com...-pro-rage.html

It is a head and neck restraint system that works with stock seatbelts. I know it is not as good as a HANS device, but I have to think it is better protection than just a helmet. Wondering if anyone has heard of this or knows someone who has used it?

Thanks.

--BM

Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Before spending your money, go test sit in the seats you're interested in. You want to buy the HANS (I use the 20 degree unit) for the seat... You want to make sure the angle of layback on the seat is compatible with the HANS unit.

When I tested the safety solutions unit, I really didn't like how it hit my back. There are a couple of other solutions out there that are similar to the HANS in design, and vendors like saferacer.com are offering the sport verison of the HANS for less than $600.

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Before spending your money, go test sit in the seats you're interested in. You want to buy the HANS (I use the 20 degree unit) for the seat... You want to make sure the angle of layback on the seat is compatible with the HANS unit.

When I tested the safety solutions unit, I really didn't like how it hit my back. There are a couple of other solutions out there that are similar to the HANS in design, and vendors like saferacer.com are offering the sport verison of the HANS for less than $600.

Mike
Thanks Mike, can you use a HANS with stock seatbelts?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Absolutely not. You must use it in conjuntion with racing harnesses and fixed back seats with pass-thru ports, along with a rollbar or harness bar.

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for clarifying, the Hybrid Pro Rage works with stock seats and belts so that is why I was considering it, but I will find a local vendor to test comfort/size before any purchase

Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I have the safety solutions R3 carbon fiber model and find it fits perfectly with the GT3 seats and is a very well made product. As for fit, I can not even feel it on my back when securely belted in, but it does require much more than the OEM seat belts.

http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/pro-series/r3.html

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 02-12-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 AM
John, thanks for your thoughts

Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Your welcome. You may want to contact Safety Solutions and ask if the R3 can be used with standard seat belts. They say it operates independantly of the seat belts and I know what they mean. It fastens around your torso and you pull it tight. Once secured on your boidy, you can not move your head forward or side to side much. The shoulder belts further reinforce it, but I have a feeling it would work pretty well with a standard seat belt...maybe not, but worth a call. It's a really good restraint and would be a great choice if it will work that way, too.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 AM
hbennett is on a distinguished road
As John said, Safety Solutions claims their R3 (and maybe the Hybrid) is not dependent on the harness. That does not mean it works with the stock 3-point seat belt. A lot of instructors have made that assumption. I don't think SS has ever made the claim that their HNR's will work with the stock seat belts. If you can find it in print somewhere, I would really like to see it. I know we would never make that kind of claim. As Mikelly said, go somewhere where you can try on different HNR's to see what is more comfortable for you, whether it be a HANS Device or competitors product.

Remember, the HNR is only a part of a good safety system. The seat is very important. So is the proper mounting of the harnesses. Good luck.

Howard Bennett

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-15-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: not a sponsor
Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by hbennett
As John said, Safety Solutions claims their R3 (and maybe the Hybrid) is not dependent on the harness. That does not mean it works with the stock 3-point seat belt. A lot of instructors have made that assumption. I don't think SS has ever made the claim that their HNR's will work with the stock seat belts. If you can find it in print somewhere, I would really like to see it. I know we would never make that kind of claim. As Mikelly said, go somewhere where you can try on different HNR's to see what is more comfortable for you, whether it be a HANS Device or competitors product.

Remember, the HNR is only a part of a good safety system. The seat is very important. So is the proper mounting of the harnesses. Good luck.

Howard Bennett
Howard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and your candid comments. I have only heard the highest positive regard and recommendations on your products. In fact, if your products were designed for stock seats and belts, I would have tested and purchased one already.

My question for you is, why has no one made a HNR for stock seats and belts? I realize, yes, upgraded racing seats, five point harness, and roll bar is better, but I am guessing there are thousands of weekend enthusiasts who do not want to convert our DDs, but still enjoy and are encouraged by our local PCAs to drive our DDs in DEs. Are we left to stock protections (obviously beyond helmets)? Should we be satisfied with that?

I realize these are difficult questions and they bring in multiple factors, type of impact (side, front, rollover), airbags with stock seats vs. racing seats/harness, driving skills....I am sure I am leaving out many

Anyway, I hope you are able to respond and appreciate your time with this question.

--BM

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-15-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
hbennett is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blue Monster
Howard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and your candid comments. I have only heard the highest positive regard and recommendations on your products. In fact, if your products were designed for stock seats and belts, I would have tested and purchased one already.

My question for you is, why has no one made a HNR for stock seats and belts? I realize, yes, upgraded racing seats, five point harness, and roll bar is better, but I am guessing there are thousands of weekend enthusiasts who do not want to convert our DDs, but still enjoy and are encouraged by our local PCAs to drive our DDs in DEs. Are we left to stock protections (obviously beyond helmets)? Should we be satisfied with that?

I realize these are difficult questions and they bring in multiple factors, type of impact (side, front, rollover), airbags with stock seats vs. racing seats/harness, driving skills....I am sure I am leaving out many

Anyway, I hope you are able to respond and appreciate your time with this question.

--BM
I guess the short answer is it's not racing. What I mean is, there are so many variables in stock seats alone. Also, the stock seat belts work differently than a race harness. There is basically one type or function of a race seat. Same for the race harness.

Howard Bennett

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-15-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
I would call safety solutions and ask them and this is by no means an endorsement to use it with 3 point seat belts, but from a common sense standpoint, based on the way the R3 works, I think it would still help quite a bit vs. no H&N restraint, even with regular seat belts. I would not want to test it, but I would think it would be better than no restaint, due to the design. It dramatically restrains your forward and side to side head movement, even walking around with it connected.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
I would call safety solutions and ask them and this is by no means an endorsement to use it with 3 point seat belts, but from a common sense standpoint, based on the way the R3 works, I think it would still help quite a bit vs. no H&N restraint, even with regular seat belts. I would not want to test it, but I would think it would be better than no restaint, due to the design. It dramatically restrains your forward and side to side head movement, even walking around with it connected.

Just to put some closure on this thread for people considering a HNR with stock belts, I spoke with the nice people at Safety Solutions. The R3 and R3 Rage are the ONLY products they sell that you can use without at harness. They were very helpful and took time to answer all my questions

http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/pro-series/r3.html

The R3 and R3 Rage are exactly the same, R3 Rage is heavier and cheaper.

This is a direct quote from their website.

"The R3 out performs yoke style devices in all impacts. The low top allows for easier exit. Can be used with all seatbelts (including 3 point) and is the only SFI restraint that can be used without Seatbelts!"

I am going to test one out this Spring, no dealers nearby, so I'll force myself to take a long roadtrip .

Thank you for everyone's comments.

--BM

Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Hi BM

As long as you are thinking about safety (rightfully so) I think you should go for a little more.

First let me tell you what once happened to me. I had my left rear tire deflate coming out the esses at Lime Rock . I could not straighten out and spun to the infield and backed into a hill. The car went up on it's tail and flipped coming down on the roof.Not a crash a flip. The passenger side of the windshield slowly crushed.I was not hurt but was upside down hanging by my 3 point seatbelt ( engine still running ) The 3 point allowed my head to deflect to the side.... saving my neck.

So if my head was restrained in any way, I think there would have much greater chance of injury. CVR will not allow harnesses without proper seats and roll bar now.

I now have a bolt in roll bar, seats that accept harnesses , and a Hans device in my track car. I think you should consider doing the same.

besides confidence that you are safer ,another real benefit to this ,is that you will drive Much,Much better being harnessed in in a proper seat because of the support this gear gives. The difference is night and day . Mike, John D chime in.

Elliot
BTW
I May be able to help you with Bar and seats pm me
Elliot

Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
Elliot,

That's quite a story! I'm glad you survived well.

I totally agree on the safety issue if you are going to push the car. I am no expert, I simply looked into head and neck restraint systems because I was going to the 1/4 mile a few times and when my traps went over 130, it felt much faster and I suddenly realized that if something stupid happened at that speed, it would be bad news and it would be a good idea to have the head and neck restraint on. My ET's had already dictated a roll bar, fire jacket (I got a suit), SFI approved harness and fire extinguisher. I purchased the R3 because compared to all the money I put into power mods, it was a small expense to help protect myself in an emergency. I was happy to spend the money, it made me feel like I was making a wise choice. The R3 is very user friendly and instills a real sense of security when fastened and belted in...I like it a lot.

2022 Cayenne White

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DE - Head and Neck Restraint Alternative