996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Remote Key does not lock / unlock doors after battery change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
$20 program at the dealer? My local dealer wanted $135!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The key fobs are VERY sensitive and fail often. The dealer told me that, if you change the battery, you only have about 5 seconds to make the switch once the battery is removed. These keys are actually programmed to self-destruct under certain conditions. For instance - if you accidentally press the unlock button when away from the car (like sitting on your keys) and you activate the unlock 255 times (about 20 seconds of sitting), the key will temporarily disable itself. It can be reset using the unlock - start the car method. But, if you activate 1024 times - the key fob is toast. It will still start the car, but God himself cannot reactivate the unlock feature.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:42 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Turbotwin, I have a friend at a local Porsche tuner shop he helps me out quite a bit with prices. But the key on eBay is diffently the way to go. I did it for two different turbos over the years worked perfectly. Just make sure it has the bar code paper with it and that it was never programmed on another car or it's useless. (tried to reuse an old key off my original turbo with the original bar code and get it to work with the new one but no dice)

Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM
enoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearhead
Had mine die as well. I use it as a spare now. Go on eBay buy a key head that still has the barcode tag(very important) get it programed, problem solved. I tried everything too nothing worked for me either.
I bought my key head with uncut blade for $70 with the barcode on eBay. $20 programming at the dealer. I refused to pay that insane dealer replacement key price.
$20??? My Dealer wants $180 for programming!!! Can we have this done locally only or?..

Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM
ianBall is on a distinguished road
Discovered this by accident, unlock the car door with the key, sit in the drivers seat wait for the alarm to go off, put the key in the ignition and turn on. My keys now work normally.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Why would the alarm go off if you unlock the car with the key? How long did you have to wait?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 AM
ianBall is on a distinguished road
On my cayman, after about six seconds the alarm goes off if you don't put the key in the ignition and you haven't turned the alarm off with the key fob button.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM
I have to try this...

Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ianBall
Discovered this by accident, unlock the car door with the key, sit in the drivers seat wait for the alarm to go off, put the key in the ignition and turn on. My keys now work normally.
This is the typical action to wake up the key fob as it will go to sleep after 5 days...

Old 02-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I gave it a shot - 10 minutes - no alarm. (An my IR sensors work - alarm will go if you lock the car and put your hand in the window)

Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
I gave it a shot - 10 minutes - no alarm. (An my IR sensors work - alarm will go if you lock the car and put your hand in the window)
Leave the car and key fob sitting for about 4-5 days. When you try to open the car with the fob it will fail and you will have to use the key. If you open the door with the key and do not turn on the ignition fairly quickly the alarm will sound until you disable it. Happens to me OFTEN!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:03 PM
... Sorry, not possible... there is no way I could leave the car sitting for 5 days without driving it!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 PM
Saadi996tt is on a distinguished road
Hello Gents,

I have a similar problem...
Car only gets driven once a week so it's plugged into a battery tender. Tried to drive the car this morning and as usual the key fob didn't work so I proceeded to unlock like I do every week and guess what I can't open the door manually either. I tried both my keys and no luck turn it to the right or left and still can't get inside the car. I finally opened the frunk with the emergency cable, alarm went off and woke everyone up! I disconnected the battery and took another car to work. Has anyone experienced this issue and any possible fixes??

Thanks,
Saadi

Old 02-18-2015, 11:33 PM
You can't open the door manually? Why not? Does the key fit, but not turn? Does it turn but nothing happens?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 PM
Saadi996tt is on a distinguished road
Key turns but nothing is happening, I'm lifting up the handle and no go, door is still locked

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Key does not lock / unlock doors after battery change