996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Replacing Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
GoingFast is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing Rotors and Pads

Hi all,

I am about to replace my rotors and pads. I only need to do the front rotors and pads. Since our car is awd, do I need to replace the rear as well or wait until they need to be replaced?

Thanks,

TC

Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
Can I ask why you're changing both rotors and pads? Are the pads worn? The rotors? I assume you're just using these for street use. Are you still using the sensors? In spite of all the questions, bottom line is change what's worn out. Do the fronts as a pair, and rears as a pair, but there's no need to do all four at once if it's not needed.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
waymegelli,

I told my mechanic last year to inspect the car and fix all things that needed to be fixed if they are being covered by the warranty before it expired. He told me that I need to replace my front rotors and pads. Since our car is awd, I thought 4 corners must be replaced at the same time. Yes, this is for street use only. Does MY01 996TT have sensor?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GoingFast
waymegelli,

I told my mechanic last year to inspect the car and fix all things that needed to be fixed if they are being covered by the warranty before it expired. He told me that I need to replace my front rotors and pads. Since our car is awd, I thought 4 corners must be replaced at the same time. Yes, this is for street use only. Does MY01 996TT have sensor?
+1 on the response about fronts and rears being done when needed. Most cars go through front pads twice as fast as rears.

Your car came from the factory with wear sensors. Some people remove them, so it would depend on the car's history whether you still have them.

Jon

Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 AM
eds966tt is on a distinguished road
My suggestion is that if your replacing rotors and "your going fast" call suncoast and do the GT3 front brake upgrade. The oem pads are great
and if you want other pads you can go with pagid yellow and even Hawk.
I have done this myself and the pad wear is perfect. This car has the wrong front brake set up from the factory anyway for the turbo.
Good luck on your decision....!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 AM
cybersam69 will become famous soon enoughcybersam69 will become famous soon enough
Hi all,

I am about to replace my rotors and pads. I only need to do the front rotors and pads. Since our car is awd, do I need to replace the rear as well or wait until they need to be replaced?

Thanks,

TC
Since when are you using your brakes?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:12 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
waymegelli,

You are getting good tips here.....here's possibly a couple more.
Pads & rotors rarely warranty covered.
Your mechanic may be 100% trustworthy but when asking open ended questions on brakes, alignment, suspension, go a tad deeper.....in this case and ask for pad & rotor thickness...ie how much left vs OE. Obviously you're not to sensor on the pads or the light would be on (assuming sensor still in tact). For OE rotors I think recomended wear limet on fronts is 32.6 and they are 34.mm new. Rear 26.6 and 28mm.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these.
Point is.....if it's taken 3 years to use 70%....well you do the math.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eds966tt
My suggestion is that if your replacing rotors and "your going fast" call suncoast and do the GT3 front brake upgrade. The oem pads are great
and if you want other pads you can go with pagid yellow and even Hawk.
I have done this myself and the pad wear is perfect. This car has the wrong front brake set up from the factory anyway for the turbo.
Good luck on your decision....!
I disagree. I'm guessing from his posts that the OP is not a track guy. In that case the GT3 upgrade is a lot of money spent for no real gain for him. He'll also have to get RS29 pads for the rear to match the fronts. It would cost another $1500 or so to go this route.

Jon

Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Have to agree with Jon on this. OP is not a tracker and the GT3 brake upgrade is unnecessary for the street.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the advices and I will only replace the fronts.