996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New GT2 RS News: Nurburgring Time !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Don't forget the gt-r tires are quite special afaik...not quite stock street rubber. In them lies the secret I suspect....

My observations on the gt-r based on an N of 9 at tracks so far is that they really cannot handle a day at the track well. All have overheated. I suppose there are mods to fix that, but then you blow your warranty...., but these are low group type drivers not pushing too hard...and I am not talking brakes.

I personally could not afford the pads/tires/fluids on a gt-r...the 996TT in comparison is dirt cheap. I do like the tranny....but the evo X is nicer and the new golf R/audi units are nicer IMHO. PDK : have not tried it yet. I expect it is nice too.

Imagine this gt2-rs with PDK...never coming off boost.....add some rubber that is as close to R as the gt-r tires are close to R compound...just think about it....

Jeff
I'm not exactly sure how this thread became about the GT-R, when Porsche releases their fastest/strongest car ever. The strong point about the GT-R is the transmission, no doubt. The tires don't last very long, though. I switched to those fabled Dunlop tires, and with only 1 track event and 5,000mi they are showing cords in the rear (yes, I'm aware of the track camber vs street camber adjustments). Awesome performance in the dry, but the Bridgestones last sooo much longer.

I hope that there is a PDK Porsche supercar that comes out (GT2, CGT, 918 Spyder, etc...). THAT will be the car I dream about. I've driven the PDK - VERY, very nice.

It is also unfortunate to hear about the overheating of the cars... As we have tracked numerous GT-R's at various levels all day without anybody overheating. Are these temps going above 300deg?

Anyway, as far as cost - if you purchased a GT-R instead of the Turbo, you'd have about $60k (based on similar options that come standard on every GT-R) to make those tire/fluid/brake changes... I don't see the differential of those costs adding up for at least 30-40 years or so (because the Porsche brakes/tires/fluids won't last 30 years either. and they aren't free).

So........., how 'bout that GT2RS?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I think the new gt2rs is the car to get if you like to be challenged. I suspect is is one of the most raw cars ....and in the hands of a good driver like 930man...impossible to follow.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 05-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I think the new gt2rs is amazing. I cannot wait to see a PDK version of it...

In the current market, the used 996TT is perhaps the best deal out there....you mod it to huge hp, suspension, etc...and then zoom. And it is a car that will look good in 10 years. I am truly not sure about the GT-R. I think the last version of the GT-R, the one that looks like a big 240sx, is really ugly.

Jeff
Yeah, the Skyline GT-R was just that - a Skyline with go-fast parts (a lot like the M3 is just a 3-series with go-fast parts). The Skyline is a family car. It really held back the performance of the car. Once Nissan gave the GT-R its own chassis, and split it apart from the Skyline (G35/37), it became its own car.

But as far as the last line in your previous post, and the first one in the quoted post...

A GT2RS w/PDK and some of those almost R-compound tires... Sounds intoxicating.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
This may have been what you were referring to, but this is what I saw:

It seemed that you think that I believe anything Nissan says...

I take it all with a grain of salt. Just like the GT2RS time claimed by Porsche...
a 7:38 doesn't beat most supercars but it is very close. A 7:29 does. The 7:29 is outright BS and the 7:38 might be believable on track tires. The 997GT2 ran a 7:32 so a 7:38 for a 600lb heavier car with less power is a stretch. But with track tires to overcome the weight I might believe it. Lets face it, no where has nissans claims been matched except by nissan.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:17 AM
DS1
DS1 is infamous around these parts
Hmmm... When I look back at that post, I thought I mentioned the 997 Turbo (let me check - yup, I did). I also thought I mentioned the 599GTB, Gallardo SL, C6 Z06 as well... Yeah, I did.
English is not my mothers tongue, but I am pretty sure that "up to 10 years old" doesn't mean "10 years old".

Those are the facts
No, that is cherry picking.

And there you go again, trying to compare the GT-R to the GT2RS...
I am just saying that you should compare current models. I hope you can agree that both the GT-R and the GT2RS are 2010 models?

Are you really trying to compare the GT2RS to the GT-R?
I am comparing Nordschleife times. Why not?

*edit: I already explained my purpose of my statement that you asked about - if you'd like, I'll requote it for you. But to save us both the time and effort - I'll help you out, reread post #80.
You really want to claim that your first post in this tread had nothing to do with earlier discussions about Suzuki's time?

Really?

Post #80 only confirms that you were hinting on those discussions.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Prche951
a 7:38 doesn't beat most supercars but it is very close. A 7:29 does. The 7:29 is outright BS and the 7:38 might be believable on track tires. The 997GT2 ran a 7:32 so a 7:38 for a 600lb heavier car with less power is a stretch. But with track tires to overcome the weight I might believe it. Lets face it, no where has nissans claims been matched except by nissan.
I was content on letting this drop...

But, since you brought it up -

Nissan GT-R 'claimed time' 7:29 (on stock wheels and tires) - SportAuto - 7:38

Porsche 997 911T 'claimed time 7:39 (on stock tires) - Sport Auto - 7:54

So who's results are unattainable? Which is a greater deviation?

I don't know enough about Nissan's situation to claim them as credible or incredible, nor do I know about Porsche's claims. I haven't discredited anybody's claims.

And, yes, you're right - it doesn't beat ALL supercars, but I think there is enough evidence that supports my theory of MOST supercars (let's throw in Ferrari F430, Mercedes SLR, Pagani, all of the tested Lamborghinis, etc...). I left out (for basis of comparison) the only two times HvS ran faster than the 7:38 is the GT3RS (7:33 - last month) and the Koenigsegg CCR (7:34 5 years ago). Since you said "...A big heavy car near the weight of an M5 beating most supercars, lol." - I thought I had enough supporting evidence to refute that claim. That's all.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by DS1
English is not my mothers tongue, but I am pretty sure that "up to 10 years old" doesn't mean "10 years old".

No, that is cherry picking.

I am just saying that you should compare current models. I hope you can agree that both the GT-R and the GT2RS are 2010 models?

I am comparing Nordschleife times. Why not?

You really want to claim that your first post in this tread had nothing to do with earlier discussions about Suzuki's time?

Really?

Post #80 only confirms that you were hinting on those discussions.
I only left out the two times HvS ran faster, because I wasn't referring to your post when I listed them... That post was in response somebody else, it just so happened to contain the same 3rd party driver who drove the 997 Turbo (is that a current car?) some 16secs slower than they drove a GT-R around the same track.

Why don't you throw in Sport Auto's time (not HvS) of the Gumpert Apollo of 7:11? Then the 'claimed time' of Porsche ISN'T the fastest supercar out there. There is always somebody faster. I didn't make this about the GT-R - you did. I was NOT referring to ANY controversy - just noticing the lack of objectiveness displayed here. Did you see any? Hell, even I'm amazed that ANY car with ANY tire can run that time.

I have no idea how you can think about comparing the GT2RS to the GT-R. I think it cheapens the GT2RS. Why don't you compare it to the Corvette C6 Z06 (because since most people claim that they are performance peers - this should lump the Z06 right into the same category as the GT2RS, and you could throw in the 911Turbo as well...). And while you and Chris Harris (the genius who tested the 996 GT2 against the GT-R, even though even Nissan, themselves, said that wasn't the target) are at it - go play basketball with some 3rd graders and be amazed at yourself with all of the ball-handling skills you seem to have...

This seems to be a touchy subject with you. It appears to me that you read WAY to much into my comment, and saw what you wanted to see - a GT-R owner 'crying foul' at a Porsche claimed time. What you saw (or perhaps, should've seen) was a GT-R owner who was amazed at the the time that he read, and questioned the faith of EVERYONE who posted up to that point, because they were all in just 'awe' of what happened.

I have no idea how you could make this thread about the GT-R. But, that was some good work you've done.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 05-15-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I was content on letting this drop...

But, since you brought it up -

Nissan GT-R 'claimed time' 7:29 (on stock wheels and tires) - SportAuto - 7:38

Porsche 997 911T 'claimed time 7:39 (on stock tires) - Sport Auto - 7:54

So who's results are unattainable? Which is a greater deviation?

I don't know enough about Nissan's situation to claim them as credible or incredible, nor do I know about Porsche's claims. I haven't discredited anybody's claims.

And, yes, you're right - it doesn't beat ALL supercars, but I think there is enough evidence that supports my theory of MOST supercars (let's throw in Ferrari F430, Mercedes SLR, Pagani, all of the tested Lamborghinis, etc...). I left out (for basis of comparison) the only two times HvS ran faster than the 7:38 is the GT3RS (7:33 - last month) and the Koenigsegg CCR (7:34 5 years ago). Since you said "...A big heavy car near the weight of an M5 beating most supercars, lol." - I thought I had enough supporting evidence to refute that claim. That's all.
Let me make it clear. The Nissan run times were bogus. Nissan lied, lies, cheats whatever you want to say. Just like the video of the older GTR running against the 996tt and the Ferrari. All of the JDM's were on track tires and the Ferrari and the turbo were on worn out street tires and both cars were very hot from having run against each other prior to going against the JDM's. I like it how the Japanese put conditions in their favor. They do that a lot.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
Let me make it clear. The Nissan run times were bogus. Nissan lied, lies, cheats whatever you want to say. Just like the video of the older GTR running against the 996tt and the Ferrari. All of the JDM's were on track tires and the Ferrari and the turbo were on worn out street tires and both cars were very hot from having run against each other prior to going against the JDM's. I like it how the Japanese put conditions in their favor. They do that a lot.
Your opinion is/was clear. The facts are not so clear.

GT-R: Nissan 7:29 - HvS 7:38
997 Turbo: Porsche 7:39 - HvS 7:54

Sport Auto 9 secs off Nissan's claim, 15 secs off Porsche's claim. Your statement regarding Nissan was:

Lets face it, no where has nissans claims been matched except by nissan.
If I change the word Nissan to Porsche, is the statement still true? I'm so not defending Nissan here, just poking holes (playing devil's advocate). To me, this thread should never have contained the words 'Nissan' or 'GT-R'.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:01 PM
DS1

Why don't you throw in Sport Auto's time (not HvS) of the Gumpert Apollo of 7:11?
Why would that be relevant?

Then the 'claimed time' of Porsche ISN'T the fastest supercar out there.
It isn't. I never said it was.

I was NOT referring to ANY controversy - just noticing the lack of objectiveness displayed here.
Ok, but I can only understand that you would be surprised by this lack because of earlier discussies, which have been related to the Suzuki time.

The lack of objectiveness... I can't say your wrong in noticing that.

I have no idea how you can think about comparing the GT2RS to the GT-R. I think it cheapens the GT2RS.
Why? Both are very quick around the Ring. Of course times will be compared.

Why don't you compare it to the Corvette C6 Z06
Because our discussion never involved the Corvette. But I don't know why I should be a snob... and discard the fact that Corvettes are, nowadays, very fast around the Ring?

And while you and Chris Harris (the genius who tested the 996 GT2 against the GT-R, even though even Nissan, themselves, said that wasn't the target) are at it - go play basketball with some 3rd graders and be amazed at yourself with all of the ball-handling skills you seem to have...
Did you forget to take a pill or something? Problems at home? Man, chill!

This seems to be a touchy subject with you.
Not really. To me it seems that you're very sensitive about the GT-R vs Porsche discussions... I don't know, perhaps we simply don't understand each other.

It appears to me that you read WAY to much into my comment, and saw what you wanted to see - a GT-R owner 'crying foul' at a Porsche claimed time.
You really should read my 1st reaction again...

What you saw (or perhaps, should've seen) was a GT-R owner who was amazed at the the time that he read, and questioned the faith of EVERYONE who posted up to that point, because they were all in just 'awe' of what happened.
I don't know if everyone just plainly believed the quoted time. I didn't just believed it, but I am positive that the moment Von Saurma drives this car it will be very, very fast.

I really doubt that I am the only one here that didn't take this time for a fact.

I have no idea how you could make this thread about the GT-R. But, that was some good work you've done.
I aim to please.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:16 PM
I agree with almost everything you just posted...

And I, indeed, went back and reread your original reply to my post. The first sentence is what I hoped for, and expected... What I didn't expect was the second part (which brought the GT-R into this thread).

I like to compare cars that are in the same class, not cars of a different class.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 PM
DS1
997 Turbo: Porsche 7:39
What is your source?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by DS1
What is your source?
Almost all of the times I posted I found in a 5sec search of either SportAuto or here at Wikipedia (they showed the same results):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 PM
DS1
Almost all of the times I posted I found in a 5sec search of either SportAuto or here at Wikipedia (they showed the same results):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times
Looking at the source: Porsche is claiming to have used Pilot Sport Cup (R-compoud) and a 7:34 GT2 7:38 Turbo.

Furthermore: it apparently was an interview. The Turbo running only 4 seconds slower is very strange. You would expect 14 seconds... and perhaps, that is just what happend: a reporter taking notes and a 7:48 became a 7:38.

If not: Porsche lied. Because the 997 turbo Mk I isn't capable of getting round the Ring in 7:38.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by DS1
Looking at the source: Porsche is claiming to have used Pilot Sport Cup (R-compoud) and a 7:34 GT2 7:38 Turbo.

Furthermore: it apparently was an interview. The Turbo running only 4 seconds slower is very strange. You would expect 14 seconds... and perhaps, that is just what happend: a reporter taking notes and a 7:48 became a 7:38.

If not: Porsche lied. Because the 997 turbo Mk I isn't capable of getting round the Ring in 7:38.
I don't know enough to claim or disclaim either of the times. I'm just looking forward to seeing what the GT2RS is capable of on other circuits (mainly because I know I'll most likely never get one - or be able to get one).