996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OT: who makes the best plasma tv?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 06:04 PM
lchew is on a distinguished road
OT: who makes the best plasma tv?

Since everyone on this board has lots of cool toys, I'm sure this is one of the must haves. Any opinions?

Old 09-30-2003, 06:09 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Pioneer Elite...

Old 09-30-2003, 06:19 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Sony

Old 09-30-2003, 06:25 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
I could go on and on about this.
If you absolutely have to have a plasma and you want the best, buy a Fujitsu High Definition.

Now, for the counterpoint. Although Plasma Televisions definitely have the WOW factor, they are not the best video presentation device available for discerning viewing. Front projection video is still by far the best way to go for purist video. Front projection comes in basically 3 flavors. CRT, LCD and DLP.
CRT
Cathode Ray Tube - Still the undisputed leader for black level and filmlike quality although they are falling out of favor due to their intense setup requirements and bulky nature.
LCD
Liquid Crystal Display - Very bright, small projector and lightweight and easy to setup. You will notice pixelation in the image up close.
DLP
Digital Light Processing - The brightest of the bunch and when purchased in the 3 chip version is the closest approximation to the filmlike quality of the CRT. The projector is lightweight and easy to setup.

The fundamental difference between these front projectors and a plasma display is the nature in which the image is displayed. The front projectors converge the red, green and blue signals over the top of each other. This occurs either in the projector or at the screen. The result is a "spot" or pixel or line (whatever term floats your boat) that contains the necessary percentages of each color to create the required color. A plasma on the otherhand has individual cells made up of three subcells, one red, one green and one blue. The gas in each subcell gets excited as a result of the video signal and glows some degree of red, some degree of green and some degree of blue. Since your eye cannot distinguish the three subcells from afar, it appears as a converged "spot" when in fact it is a row of 3 subcells, followed by a row of three and so on and so on.

So, bottom line, if you want cool factor, buy a Fujitsu HD plasma.

If you want purist video, go front projection.

Last edited by KPV; 09-30-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:33 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
KPV

Martin Logan speakers I am impressed. Those sound great.

I am with MSINDI on the Pioneer Elite being the best Plasma. That is what I have in my house and I love it..... 53" I think????

Old 09-30-2003, 06:45 PM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
Pioneer Elite has the best picture quality ... the guy at Ultimate Elec. put in a DVD for me and played it on like 20 different plasma's at the same time and the Pioneer Elite section of 3 all had the best picture ... only draw back is the Black shiny casing, I prefer the sleek aluminum look ...

Old 09-30-2003, 06:57 PM
FYI - Pioneer now makes a model with an aluminium frame instead of that piano looking black wood...Not sure if the specs are the same as the Elite though...http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe...6_4123,00.html

Old 09-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
I vote for Panasonic!!!

Old 09-30-2003, 07:05 PM
jcramair1 is on a distinguished road
I have to say that I think the Sony Xbr is a better picture than the Elite. I have a 42" Sony XBR and a 32" XBR and the picture quality is amazing. The pioneer is very close IMHO to the Sony. Again my .02 ....

Old 09-30-2003, 07:09 PM
For any TV other than a flat panel I have always been a SONY fan...I just think Pioneer beat them on this one...

Old 09-30-2003, 07:40 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
I think that Daewoo TV's are the best. They have top notch components and incredible picture quality. Better than any above mentioned Plasma. Even their cars are better than even some fine German cars. Daewoo RULES!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Akkurat is on a distinguished road
I agree Duane, the Panasonics have a Contrast Ratio (dark area illuminance) 4000:1

Old 09-30-2003, 07:51 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
I love my Martin Logans as well Ken - they are so musical

Old 09-30-2003, 07:56 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Darren, ML is 30 minutes from here.....They are the best IMHO...Zebra wood Quest up front with a center "ML theater" even have a set of Aries-i for surround speakers Don't know much about Plasma, but can chime in for the LCDs...

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2003, 08:03 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OT: who makes the best plasma tv?