996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt round headlight conversion idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
We need to have a 996 pride parade or something. The stock headlights are fine!

Old 04-25-2017, 03:08 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
We need to have a 996 pride parade or something. The stock headlights are fine!
x2

Just don't invite the 996.1 guys.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM
yawwn is on a distinguished road
I have to agree that these are the best covers so far! Great job! I also posted on your thread on the other forum.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 PM
AndrewK996 has a spectacular aura aboutAndrewK996 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the compliments guys. I agree the stock lights look good too and I think suit the Turbo especially well. The good thing is that these are just covers I can revert back to the stock look anytime.

I don't think I can mention price here per forum rules, just wanted to share my work and get opinions. You can PM with any other questions.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Heh, you don't have enough posts to PM! I'm interested in learning more. Not sure I'd do it but it's worth considering as I never use my fogs and just had a washer nozzle cover fly away

Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 AM
Sparrow is on a distinguished road
Instead of painting the inside, and without worry of the paint gas releasing.

Has it been tested to 'wrap' and vinyl the housing under the clear cover (on the housing, not the lens) like the Seal example? That would be a quick turn-around and no worry for the paint emissions after sealing the headlight back up.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sparrow
Instead of painting the inside, and without worry of the paint gas releasing.

Has it been tested to 'wrap' and vinyl the housing under the clear cover (on the housing, not the lens) like the Seal example? That would be a quick turn-around and no worry for the paint emissions after sealing the headlight back up.
Interesting thought and reversible if needed.

Later, Steve

Old 04-29-2017, 04:50 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
best headlight covers ive seen. how much?

Old 05-07-2017, 12:23 AM
acs370 is on a distinguished road
Covers

Looks nice, but the upper portion of the headlight cover pops out from the hood/ fender line which doesn't look right. How thin can you go with abs?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
+1, looks pretty darn good.

I'm sure it's as thin as it can be already but the only issue I see is that it seems slightly higher than the fender, hood and bumper (guessing it has to be that way because it is on top..obviously) but in any case looks really good. Best I have seen out there for sure.

Originally Posted by Aktavate
Not personally a fan of headlight covers, that being said these look way better than any I've seen before.

Last edited by gophaster; 05-08-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:54 PM
MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AndrewK996
Hi Guys,

I posted this over on another Porsche forum but thought some of you would be interested over here on 6speed. I spent the last 2 years working on a better headlight cover design and I can finally say I'm satisfied with the quality and wanted to show you guys the final piece. It is made out of polyurethane (same materials as bumpers), flexible, and can be painted normally. I 3d scanned the original lights to make sure it fits snugly on top of the existing lens. If you look at the close-up you'll notice we did a lot of work on the beveled edges to make the "headlight ring" look like a distinct piece from the part that covers up the foglamp that is painted body color. Also, we made sure to follow the natural hood seams and lines of the bumper. From the side it gives off a very 991 vibe and front the front it looks 997ish.

A few details: the foglights are covered, the covers are adhered with 3m double sided tape and easy to remove if needed, the version I made is for headlights without the washers. For headlights without washers we are working on a solution where you remove the chrome caps and we will make a custom sized plastic-disc/cover that goes over the circular hole just so it is sealed up and no moisture can get in. The headlight cover would go on top of that.

Let me know what you guys think!
They stick out as obvious covers...as one already said, they are too thick at the inside fender seam and hood. To me they scream, "I am embarrassed of my 996 lights"..."I really wish I were a 997".

Leave 'em alone. Be proud of who you are. In life, most people will think you look just fine...some will think you're gorgeous...and a few will call you ugly. Who GAD about what the headlights look like when behind the wheel anyhow? Lastly, with the new turbo's, tune and 100 octane, most 997's are only going to see my tail lights.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:42 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
lol this is another strange light obsession I don't understand.

do most of you guys with the round headlight obsession have led rears?

Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
lol this is another strange light obsession I don't understand.

do most of you guys with the round headlight obsession have led rears?
Hey, stop lumping the two together.

LED tails is one thing. Headlight covers is another...

Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Just for the record, I LOVE our headlights. I'm not a fan of covers either...seen a lot of people try different ways of changing up the look (see posts in this thread, lol) and the ones posted by AndrewK996 seem to have the most potential. Besides being totally reversible for those that want to try a different look without making any permanent changes. The fact they have built in bezels is pretty cool too.

Maybe if they had a clear/UV resistant cover over the "round" part of the headlight which would protect the real headlight from sun/uv/fading and rock chips, etc. that would add more purpose to them besides just aesthetics.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:37 AM
SSSTRESSS is on a distinguished road
Black

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996tt round headlight conversion idea