996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blew coolant line or something tonight.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Talisman013
I will absolutely respond with pictures, it will be a couple of weeks, very busy at the moment, and I want to do this repair myself.
Take your time. You have several options to look at. But the first thing is to refill the system with water and pressurized the expansion tank. If not you can always get somebody to start the engine and you look at the leak. Revove the air filter box to get a better look.

Expansion tank can be leaking because of dry plastic....
Water pump or fittings can be damaged...(pics)
Fittings on the alternator (generator) bracket are known to fail (unglued)(pics)
And of course any rubber lines....

Job well done by "smdubovsky" https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...top-motor.html

Attached Images    

Last edited by jpflip; 06-02-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Talisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, it has begun. It was exactly what most ppl thought it was going to be. The adhesive gave out and the fitting popped out. Its in a ***** of a spot.

This image is behind the alternator.

more pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Talisman...heCoolantLeak#

I doubt I can get this part out without pulling the motor. Does anyone have a definate answer on what the best sealant is to use here? I really want to fix it the right way, by welding new fittings in, but dont want to pull the motor.

Thanks,
Jayson

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
If it is behind the alternator you got the removal installation of the "generator" bracket in the repair manual page 646. That should help you

Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Talisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpflip
If it is behind the alternator you got the removal installation of the "generator" bracket in the repair manual page 646. That should help you
I already have the alternator out. To get to this part, I would have to remove almost everything on the driver side above the engine, and then I am still not sure I could remove it. I will look more closely at the repair manual .

Do you know a good flavor of loctite to use if I just clean the fitting and socket and re-use it.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Talisman013
I already have the alternator out. To get to this part, I would have to remove almost everything on the driver side above the engine, and then I am still not sure I could remove it. I will look more closely at the repair manual .

Do you know a good flavor of loctite to use if I just clean the fitting and socket and re-use it.

I did some search about glued without any success. smdubovsky did a fantastic job with his problem and I hope he will submit some more info to help you....

Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Any ideas? Loctite? High heat silicone? permatex? Elmers Glue? Gorilla GLue?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
any update on this?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
any update on this?
yes, I wanted to be sure it held before updating. After doing a lot of research and calling around I decided to use JB Weld. All of this time, I thought this stuff was a joke, but with internet research and calling them to discuss, I gave it a shot. There was no way to remove this part without pulling the motor. I was very reluctant to do this repair, but then realized, JB Weld is going to be AT LEAST as good as what Porsche used originally.

So I removed all of the Porsche sealant from the fitting and socket, roughed up woth surface with heavy duty sand paper(per JB Weld instructions. Lined the socket walls with a small amount of JB Weld, covered the fitting with a good amount of JB Weld, inserted fitting, rotated maybe 5 degrees back and forth to insure a good seal and let it sit for 48 hours(directions said 15 hours).

So, 30 days, many full boost pulls and heat cycles later, all is good. No leaks whatsoever. I daily'd the car for a week or so to make sure it would handle the cycling.

I have a local mechanic and friend that said he has put JB Weld on an aluminum radiator(Cheap customer), its been running for more than a year. So I think I am ok. I completely hated doing the repair like this, but really didnt want to pull the motor.

Thoughts?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
enjoy your cheap fix but keep your eye on it do periodic checks.

ive sealed engine cases(atv's) and many things with jb weld when i had no other reasonable choice.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Wow, I'm a little shocked that Porsche glued part of the car together!?!?

Old 09-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I had the same thing happen to me.. I had removed the the part and welded it in. You need to remove the A/C and a few other items, it can be done with out dropping the motor but is a tough one. Good job on your fix, I also tried to find out what type of glue that was, no luck here either...

Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Slider
You and every other Porsche owner... This should have been a recall item. My car only had 42000 miles.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The JB weld will hold just fine. I had to do that last year on mine (the second time it happened to me). The first time was at about 90,000 miles and we dropped the motor and replaced the part. The replacement part failed in 6 months and I opted to JB welded it back in and it held fine for a year. Recently, I had the motor out again and we permanently welded them in place. This part should have come welded from the factory. I think they are all going to fail at some point in their life cycle - it's a weak point, for sure.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider

there are adhesives that are stronger then welds out there. and glue all over your car. was this the best place to use glue or adhesive proabably not.

did you guys actually weld this part or braise it?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
You will more then likelly be fine with the jb weld, I have used it a few times over the years and it has been a god send. Thanks for the update.

Josh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew coolant line or something tonight.