996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MikeR397's Porsche Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Here's a quick clip of my Europipe Stage 2 Loud exhuast on cold start. Since the block was cold, I didn't rev it above 3k RPM. Sorry for the poor image quality, its just a vanilla camera with a cheap mic, but it still sounds pretty good I think, although not as good as in person .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9hUNJlS4c

Last edited by MikeR397; 01-07-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Bux996tt will become famous soon enoughBux996tt will become famous soon enough
Sounds nice. I am in the Columbus area too, maybe this spring we can meet up. I don't see many turbo's in the area, it would be nice to talk with people that know about them.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Wish I still had that exhaust

Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I hear it not a good idea to mix NO rated tires(they use two different compounds for inside tread and outside tread) with non NO rated tires. I have also heard that there is no definite standard in each manufactures tread thickness guides. Which can cause your rolling diameter to be off just enough to cause the psm to kick in especially when you go around corners. I went through this with a 350z I had after installing 20 inch wheels on it. The fronts were just over the 3% variable (it was literally .025% over after doing the math formula) causing the traction control to kick in. And if your fronts are slightly taller than your rears wearing tread off the rears first will just increase the difference. Try driving with the psm off and see if you have the same issues, it what I did with my 350z it just became habit when I started the car to turn the traction off to avoid the jerky traction control happening.
I also own a 996tt with iforged essen 19's running falkens fk452 the same size as you. I have no issues. But I did have conti sport contact2 on those rims first which are NO rated. One day I blew both rear tires because of a bad seal between the three peice rim(they were new tires too) it sucked big time, talk about money wasted. My fronts of course were still new but for the life of me I could not find any 315 sport contact2's. Thinking I will just mix and match I spoke with some reputable tire shops and they all said its not worth the risk and I will have to bite the bullet and buy 4 new tires.(and no this was not a salesman pitch as I have some old friends in the tire business) Did a little research online and sure enough its true, hope this helps but please take with a grain of salt after all its just my two cents.

Last edited by gearhead; 01-12-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Thanks for the psm message. I have not noticed it as much recently, especially now with winter and salt making the roads slick I can't take a corner fast enough to trugger the psm anyway. My front ps2 tires are wearing down and I will not mix and match tires again. Probably need all four new at end of summer or next winter. I just wish there was better selection for 315/25/19 tires since I am not spending $2k for a set of ps2 tires that will last me 18 to 24 months. I am very happy with my nitto invos on the rear, but not sure if they are still available or not. I wish hankook would make a set to fit! I will look into tires again later when I need them.

Turning off psm does not make much, if any, difference.

Last edited by MikeR397; 01-13-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Btw, I am considering a gt2 wing and deck lid for a more aggressive look. If you know of a good deal or used one, please pm me.

I am also considering the fixed spoiler mount for the stock turbo wing, but I think that costs $300 still and I prefer the gt2 wing, just don't want to spend $1500+ for it since it isn't that big of a difference.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Bux996tt will become famous soon enoughBux996tt will become famous soon enough
Mike, check out the Toyo T1R's in your size (235/35/19 & 315/25/19). I just ordered them based on price and many good reviews.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:41 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Check out falken fk452 I have owned 3 sets over the years and love them. Not only for the grip it offers in both wet and dry but the price and life span. Also if you lower your car which most of us have you will get the inevitable accelerated inner tire wear on your rears. The nice thing with the falkens is that they are rotational bias not inside/outside bias so you can rotate your rears doubling your inner tire life.
Plus I like the tread pattern

Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeR397
Btw, I am considering a gt2 wing and deck lid for a more aggressive look. If you know of a good deal or used one, please pm me.

I am also considering the fixed spoiler mount for the stock turbo wing, but I think that costs $300 still and I prefer the gt2 wing, just don't want to spend $1500+ for it since it isn't that big of a difference.
Mike,

The car sounds amazing. Not too loud. How is it at cruising speeds? Also are you having issues with the hydraulics? Is that the reason you are looking to go to a fixed spoiler like the GT2?

Last edited by PrecisionPorsch; 01-14-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Mike, ready for the next round of mods before spring?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bux996tt
Mike, check out the Toyo T1R's in your size (235/35/19 & 315/25/19). I just ordered them based on price and many good reviews.
I almost got these last time instead of the nitto invos, but got a better deal on the invos on eBay. 623 for both rears before cash back opportunities I think. I am very happy with them and they are holding up great. In fact, with 3.5k miles, they still look brand new and I drive quite aggressive including power slides when I can .

Old 01-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Mike,

The car sounds amazing. Not too loud. How is it at cruising speeds? Also are you having issues with the hydraulics? Is that the reason you are looking to go to a fixed spoiler like the GT2?
The only drone I notice is at low rpm (2k to 3k) in fourth gear, and a little in fifth gear too. In auto, that is speeds of 45 to 60 usually. No drone at highway speeds or if I drop to third, ect. It does not really bother me at all and is definitely worth the benefits of the exhaust. Not too loud at all, ever. That sound clip was in a single sized garage too. In fact, I could almost go louder, but that means straight pipe which would drone like mad and probably lose low end torque, so I am not interested in that.

My wing hydraulics are fine, I just like the more aggressive gt2 wing look.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Mike, ready for the next round of mods before spring?
Not really planning on doing any more performance mods for now. A few seconds on the loud pedal and i am already past 100 mph! Just perhaps a gt2 wing if i can find a good deal.

Actually, I might be saving my pennies to add (not replace the turbo!) a Ferrari 430 to the stable (well I guess it will become a stable then). We will see what happens in the next few months, there are a lot of variables to weigh in that decision, even if I feel comfortable financially doing it.

Btw, I am very happy with your flash and have recommended it heavily .

Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bux996tt
Sounds nice. I am in the Columbus area too, maybe this spring we can meet up. I don't see many turbo's in the area, it would be nice to talk with people that know about them.
You guys should come down to Cinci for a Cars&Coffee at Fuel once it gets a bit warmer, we always get a solid Porsche crowd.

Cheers, TK

Old 01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeR397
The only drone I notice is at low rpm (2k to 3k) in fourth gear, and a little in fifth gear too. In auto, that is speeds of 45 to 60 usually. No drone at highway speeds or if I drop to third, ect. It does not really bother me at all and is definitely worth the benefits of the exhaust. Not too loud at all, ever. That sound clip was in a single sized garage too. In fact, I could almost go louder, but that means straight pipe which would drone like mad and probably lose low end torque, so I am not interested in that.

My wing hydraulics are fine, I just like the more aggressive gt2 wing look.
Have you considered the Strosek Wing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MikeR397's Porsche Turbo