996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 front turn signal failure

Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
996ftw will become famous soon enough
This seems like a common problem. I have had this issue for the past 3 years owning the car, and everytime I have to take out hte headlights, and manually use a small philip screw driver (the ones you use for your glasses) and carefully bend the 2 connectors within the housing outwards just a tad bit. After that it would come back within a couple of months due to road conditions (bumps). And it has ALWAYS been the drivers side. werid.

Very very frustrating. I can only imagine what would happen if one of the contact points is totally bend/gone. new housing then?! sigh....

Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
I had the same failure (left front turn indicator) and after replacing the bulb and checking the fuse, decided to search here and bingo. I used a small screwdriver to bend the contacts in the light socket housing toward the center and problem solved.

Yet another great example of the value of the information on this site!

Thank You 6speedonline.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by joe731
I had the same failure (left front turn indicator) and after replacing the bulb and checking the fuse, decided to search here and bingo. I used a small screwdriver to bend the contacts in the light socket housing toward the center and problem solved.

Yet another great example of the value of the information on this site!

Thank You 6speedonline.
Tried to bend the contacts and the problem still exists. Headlights, Marker, Fogs, and Parking lights all work fine. It's just he signal light that doesn't work.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 PM
BallJee is on a distinguished road
I am having the same problem with the driver side turn signal. I knew it was some connection issue as the problem happened once then it went away. Now it is not working again (the rear driver side turn signal is blinking fast because the front one is not connected to the circuit). I even tried swapping the turn signal bulbs to make sure it is not the light bulb. Anyway, can you guys explain which connectors or contacts to bent? Is the connector the one located in the light housing itself or it is the one connected to the wiring harness. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
996ftw will become famous soon enough
There should be 2 or 3 connectors in the HOUSING itself and not the harness. I GENTLY bend it slightly outward. if that does not work, then try the wiring harness. but I don't think that is the case. hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that 1st thing tomorrow morning. I have a 02 996 C2. Love the look of the turbo.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Ray C. will become famous soon enough
I had the same problem intermittenly for a while. I finally found cracks in the bracket that holds the female plug and harness. I corrected the problem 6 months ago with glue and ties. Have not missed a blink since !

Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I had this issue a few years ago on my 996C2. I ended up having to replace the entire unit.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deckman
I had this issue a few years ago on my 996C2. I ended up having to replace the entire unit.
The headlight and everything? What do you mean by he entire unit?

I went back at it again last night. I tried to bend the prongs, used connector spray, checked the bulb again, and nothing. No cracks in the housing.

The parking light, fogs, and HID headlight work fine, just the blinker. I'm not going toreplace that entire unit (well over $1000) for the blinker.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Ray C. will become famous soon enough
Colorado- The cracks I had were on the supports that hold the yellow female plug; no problem with the removable headlight assembly at all. When you have the light assemble out, look real carefully at the plug and supports. It could be the problem. I played with this problem for almost a year and did all of the above until I found the real problem. good luck

Old 05-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Ray C.
Colorado- The cracks I had were on the supports that hold the yellow female plug; no problem with the removable headlight assembly at all. When you have the light assemble out, look real carefully at the plug and supports. It could be the problem. I played with this problem for almost a year and did all of the above until I found the real problem. good luck
Yeah, I know what you're talking about, and I was referring to the same. On my car, the female side (the side that remains inside the housing) is white, not yellow. Anyway, that IS the part I was looking at and I did not see anything wrong.

You'd think such a small problem would be easier than this. Well, I guess it was for you. I may just have the dealership have a look when I go in in a few weeks for the 30k mile service.

I installed the exhaust, changed the airbox, Diverter Valves, PCM tuned, replaced the entire wiper combination switch assembly, and did my own oil change last time, but a fracking blinker is what stumps me.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Didn't mean to step into the TT forum (I have an 02 996 C2) but since I found the info here to help me fixed the driver side turn signal problem, I would like to post a quick summary and perhaps it may be useful to someone. I removed the light bulb holder from the headlight assembly and noticed one of the contact is dirty (with some melted black plastics) so I scrapped it off. Also I removed some melted black plastics from the on of the spring contact on the hedlight assembly side as well as bend the springs a little toward the center of hole where the light bulb holder goes in. This will ensure better connection between the springs and the light bulb holder contacts. Not sure if the TT is different than the C2 on the connector, but for a quick diagnostic using a ohmmeter, there should be continuity between pins 1 and 4 in the headlight assembly white connector. Thanks again for all the info.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by BallJee
Didn't mean to step into the TT forum (I have an 02 996 C2) but since I found the info here to help me fixed the driver side turn signal problem, I would like to post a quick summary and perhaps it may be useful to someone. I removed the light bulb holder from the headlight assembly and noticed one of the contact is dirty (with some melted black plastics) so I scrapped it off. Also I removed some melted black plastics from the on of the spring contact on the hedlight assembly side as well as bend the springs a little toward the center of hole where the light bulb holder goes in. This will ensure better connection between the springs and the light bulb holder contacts. Not sure if the TT is different than the C2 on the connector, but for a quick diagnostic using a ohmmeter, there should be continuity between pins 1 and 4 in the headlight assembly white connector. Thanks again for all the info.
Yeah, easiest solutions first. That was the 1st thing I checked and the bulb itself as well. The bulb and the contact are both clean and have excellent contact. Problem is elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Wow -- I just had to add to the kudos about the information on this site. My left front blinker went out today -- flashing quickly. I got a replacement bulb and it didn't fix the problem. What the heck? I checked here, searched for "turn signal," and found this thread. I checked the assembly again, pushed the contacts in the housing (pins) and in the bulb holder, and Bingo! -- all working again. This saved me a trip to the dealer in the morning and possibly some $$ (I don't know if they would have covered it under CPO). Awesome!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Looks like a really common issue.

Just had it with mine, same story, driver's side blinker gone, but mine would sometimes come back to life on its own.

My mechanic cleaned the socket and checked all connection points and it is good as new again.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 front turn signal failure