996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

alternator voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
alternator voltage regulator

dealer wouldn't sell it seperately.

Just received mine in the mail. thought it was a bosch part I was ordering but it's a woodauto. 80 years of experience and huge product range. should be reliable. part number is VRG46444 if anyone's interested can search it on their website.

will update if it doesn't work.

Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing the part #. Do you know if this can be done w/o removing the alternator from the car?

I just replaced the regulator on my BMW and it worked great. Dealer told me I needed an alternator @ $600. Found a regulator for $40

Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
you buying more gadgets lol get some good springs in those 18gs and let it rip lol
BTW you guys should get the care package Monday...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Thanks for sharing the part #. Do you know if this can be done w/o removing the alternator from the car?

I just replaced the regulator on my BMW and it worked great. Dealer told me I needed an alternator @ $600. Found a regulator for $40
doesn't look like it, the voltage regulator is located in the rear top side of alternator and there's too much stuff around that area.

Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
how did you know you needed it. I ask because for the past month my battery gauge on the dash sometimes drops to just over ten volts then the cars engine rpm will drop for a second and then levels off to normal (like when your a/c condenser kicks in) and the battery gauge returns to 14 volts. Is this similar to what you were experiencing before yours failed? Or is it unrelated.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Worked properly before the engine dropped out to do some work. When everything went back in, the alt. wasn't charging the batt. Opted to rebuild my alt. On a loner alt at the moment. Read another member posted something about the regulator being the problem, so answer is not certain the reg. is the issue, but not taking the chance.

good part to consider for those rebuilding the alt. if what i suspect is true, that the alt must be removed to change out the regulator, then it only makes sense to replace just the reg. if it can be diagnosed and bad alt eliminated with out having to remove the alt. Or those that have the time/skills to remove/reinstall the alt themselves. Imagine the labor costs to have a shop try and fail would come close to price range for a completely new unit.

Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
you buying more gadgets lol get some good springs in those 18gs and let it rip lol
BTW you guys should get the care package Monday...
lol... yes I'm always tinkering. sweet, can't wait. will put his on first.

Last edited by Mad Ness; 07-01-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
ya already had my alternator out as well as half the motor! Had to rebuild the wire harness for the drivers side knock sensor. Porsche said they have to drop the engine to replace the two wires and $1000 bucks to do it. I said to hell with that pulled off a bunch of boost hoses, air box, alternator, intake plenum etc. Made my own long reach tool out of some round bar and flat stock welded it together and some double sided tape, problem solved $1000 saved and no you don't have to pull the motor to repair the knock sensor. They couldn't believe it, they said I should market the tool but just proves anybody with some free time and minor mechanical abilities can fix anything.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 AM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Yup, dealers sell as whole alternator. What source did you order it? How much?
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
dealer wouldn't sell it seperately.

Just received mine in the mail. thought it was a bosch part I was ordering but it's a woodauto. 80 years of experience and huge product range. should be reliable. part number is VRG46444 if anyone's interested can search it on their website.

will update if it doesn't work.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by aroonkl
Yup, dealers sell as whole alternator. What source did you order it? How much?
don't want to break any rules. google "woodauto" then search for "VRG46444" There'll be a breakdown for bosch OEM reg. part numbers, this woodauto's reg replaces and list of bosch alt. that it fits. Don't have the bosch reg and alt part numbers anymore but did cross check it before I ordered. it's about 50usd plus 15usd shipping for 2pcs.

if possible to get bosche for cheaper locally, this is the way to go. Wasn't an option for me, unfortunately.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:06 PM
hatcher is on a distinguished road
I'm also replacing the voltage regulator on my 02 996. Got bolts out of alternator and I can get it to move slightly up and down but can't get enough room to take it out. What else needs to be loosened/ removed to get alternator fully out to get to the voltage regulator? Please help? I'm anxious to get back on the road

Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
You have to put a screwdriver at pry bar and pry it up until it comes out of the part that the inner most bolt goes through.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 AM
And996tt has a spectacular aura aboutAnd996tt has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the genuine Bosch part, after all the Bosch part is total crap Porsche are good but they don't get it right every time