996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Passing Emissions with no cats exhaust??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Passing Emissions with no cats exhaust??

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forums and looking at purchasing a 03 996tt. I have a couple of questions. I you guys could help, I'd appreciate it.

1. One of the cars I'm considering has an aftermarket exhaust with NO cats. I understand a lot of guys are running an exhaust without cats for lower restriction and better flow. From what I gather reading this forum, it is almost recommended to get the most out of the engine mods. Maybe a stupid question, but how are you passing emissions without cats? I'm pretty sure almost every State has emission testing requirements. I live in Denver and an emissions test is required here in order to register the car. Would I pass here in Denver? I always thought that when you take your car to get the emission inspection they check under the car for the catalytic converter, gas cap leak, etc....

2. I've heard of the 2nd gear tranny pop out issue. Is that a fairly isolated problem and is it only confined to the 01 and 02 996tt? I was told the tranny in an 03 has upgraded brass synchros vs. steel in the 01 and 02 and that corrected the problem.

Thanks......

Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
If you do a visual test only for cats you obviously need it.
if its a sniff test then you will not. one option is to put back the stock one for the test...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yup, you have a 50/50 shot of passing. VERY steep fines here for not having a cat. Not really worth it, IMO, unless your trying to make 1000rwhp...Highly recomend re-install. There are many high flow cats available to maintain your power level and stay "legal".

Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
If you do a visual test only for cats you obviously need it.
if its a sniff test then you will not. one option is to put back the stock one for the test...
If you do a "sniff" test, will the emissions machine not be able to tell that you have no cats since the exhaust will not be "filtered" and the CO values and whatever else they measure will be off the charts?? Also, will it be OK if you throw the original exhaust back on the car that has been tuned to run with a free flow exhaust?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:03 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
In Calif. you would not pass the sniff test without cats. Your readings would be over the limits from 2500 rpm's and down.

You probably wouldn't even get that far as visual checking for cats is smog test 101. You could install kat canisters without the cells, however getting caught would be a nice fine.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
indyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really nice
Slap the cats back on, get the car tested and take them off again

Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by indyvegman
Slap the cats back on, get the car tested and take them off again
Yep, I guess that's an option. I made some calls and everyone confirmed that in Denver you will NOT pass emissions with out cats. Thanks for the info..

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
If you have emissions tests, you will not pass. But if it's once a year, than its worth the 2 hours to swap them.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
bit of under the table motivation...

Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnselli
If you do a "sniff" test, will the emissions machine not be able to tell that you have no cats since the exhaust will not be "filtered" and the CO values and whatever else they measure will be off the charts?? Also, will it be OK if you throw the original exhaust back on the car that has been tuned to run with a free flow exhaust?
Not sure how emissions are done in your state, but most use OBD interfaces, which will read failures or bypasses by your ECU tune.

Some will permit one failure, but ECU retuning to prevent CELs will set off the OBD scanners like a Christmas tree.

- bob

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
I also heard 100 cell cats won't pass in Cali. Is this true???

Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Troy Jollimore is on a distinguished road
How would they check? That's the big thing, and it varies from area to area. Some beat the visual test by either hollowing out their catalytic converters to stand up to a casual look-see, or fabbing something up that looks similar. Other areas (usually more 'rural') won't have the equipment to fully test an AWD vehicle, so are only submitted to the idle tests, which are easier to pass.

It's possible to have an engine tuned so well that converters aren't needed, but this is very hard to accomplish and even harder to maintain.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM
AdamW81 will become famous soon enoughAdamW81 will become famous soon enough
a few years back in my supra days people would add some methanol in the gas tank which would make it pass a sniff test. Just use up that tank of gas quick and don't let the methanol sit in the lines forever.

Here in texas they just connect to the OBDII port, never had an issue with visual inspection and always passed in previous cars (my 996 had cats though)

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
thank god i live in a county that only makes you test your car when you sell and when you buy, have 100 cell cats . find a good indy and have him test it first get some cats for the visual and all will be fine...

Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve harris
thank god i live in a county that only makes you test your car when you sell and when you buy, have 100 cell cats . find a good indy and have him test it first get some cats for the visual and all will be fine...
I heard Cali laws are tough. How are the laws set up? Do you have to pass every 2 years or so?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passing Emissions with no cats exhaust??