996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

H&R Springs + Bilstein Sport Shocks - anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
H&R Springs + Bilstein Sport Shocks - anyone?

I have a set of H&R lowering springs that I plan to install on my car, but before I put them on my stock 10 year old shocks I was looking into alternatives...

The bilstein sport shock description -

Bilstein Sport Shocks- firmer ride quality than standard HD shocks, these are designed for lowered vehicles and sport applications. For the performance minded driver, Sport shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface.

What do you guys think about this combination? For ~700 dollars, I imagine it would be a pretty sporty ride and should look great too.

Should I replace all 4 corners with the sport shocks, or can I get away with doing just the rear shocks where the weight is and see how it settles.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 PM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
The sports are pretty stiff. I had em on my 5 series (E39) with factory springs. I guess the complete setup wasnt as stiff as the factory Porsche suspension.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:12 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I'm typing w my phone so I'll make it short.

I have driven 3 cars w lowering springs.

2 with h&r springs
1 with ruf springs

The ones with h&r springs felt soft, mushy , not stiff enough.

The one with ruf springs , my car, feels totally different. I lap same times around norcalz thill as modded 996 gt3s 997 gt3rs etc. With very good drivers which u can read on rennlist.

I still have stock shocks that are 10 years old and I'm contemplating of putting my club sports on... As I will only gain about 3 secs a lap and crap load of things I have to adjust all the time.

So in conclusion, get some ruf springs over h&r

And theirs alot of misinformation on forums on just lowering springs not being good(rufs are great) yes coilovers is better but if u can do the springs urself no braineer if u want to learn to drive ur car' ...a few beers n $100 for alingment ...

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 07-27-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the help guys. I wonder if the h&r springs coupled with bilstein sports will react better

Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
dreamtripper will become famous soon enough
Where did you buy the RUF lowering springs? Suppose the work has to be done at a dealer, how many hours of labor do you reckon it should take? How much does it lower the car? Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I would be interested in hearing some comments on this too. Anybody have any experience with the techart lowering springs?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
What about the combinatioin he ask for H&R springs with Bilstein shocks???

Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
your better off doing coilovers - Enrrique is refering to my car which has h&r race springs and stock shocks. i plan to upgrade to coilovers in the future.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
OK thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
slideways510 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I'm typing w my phone so I'll make it short.

I have driven 3 cars w lowering springs.

2 with h&r springs
1 with ruf springs

The ones with h&r springs felt soft, mushy , not stiff enough.

The one with ruf springs , my car, feels totally different. I lap same times around norcalz thill as modded 996 gt3s 997 gt3rs etc. With very good drivers which u can read on rennlist.

I still have stock shocks that are 10 years old and I'm contemplating of putting my club sports on... As I will only gain about 3 secs a lap and crap load of things I have to adjust all the time.

So in conclusion, get some ruf springs over h&r

And theirs alot of misinformation on forums on just lowering springs not being good(rufs are great) yes coilovers is better but if u can do the springs urself no braineer if u want to learn to drive ur car' ...a few beers n $100 for alingment ...
What did you think about the ride quality on the street with the Ruf springs? Also, is this the only place to get Ruf springs?
http://www.rufautocenter.com/parts/pdf/996.pdf I search and couldn't fidn the answers.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:40 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
I've got the H&R's on mine with stock shocks and love them. Had them on my M3 too and loved them more with the Koni's I put with them. If your not going to be a serious track junky you'll be fine with the H&R's in my opinion. Very nice ride on the street with the stock shocks and will drop you about an inch or so. I would def go with the Bilsteins to as they will help out with the bounciness you may get through a long sweeper when pushing it hard. It's always better to go with a Bilstein or Koni shock with lowering springs no matter what brand you choose. I will be purchasing a set of Bilsteins in the near future. Hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Not a bad idea.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
The only question I have is this,
The koni or bilstein / lowering spring route would cost about $1700 for fronts & rears + springs.

H&R coilovers ( street perf or club sport ) or both about the same $1900 for a complete set.

Between those choices what is the better bang for your $?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The general trend of thought is that since labor is the same, you might as well go with coilovers and get it over with once and for all.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
The general trend of thought is that since labor is the same, you might as well go with coilovers and get it over with once and for all.
So bilstien shocks and Ruf springs are no better then H&R coilovers?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs + Bilstein Sport Shocks - anyone?