996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First Tip to Bend Rods and then some...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:42 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
First Tip to Bend Rods and then some...

During the motor rebuild, Brian @ Carlsen pointed out a nice feature that comes with a hip HP Tiptronic (which as we know is slow and ghey). Two bent rods, one looks s-shaped.... So in go the Carillos and ARP head studs

So as I mentioned last week the rest of the motor is in amazingly good condition (other than a little rubbin' on the crank- guess I started to knife edge it lol).

I'm still trying to find out more on the two different weights of Porsche's pistons but either way, the lighter ones go in.

The reason I mention this is for those of you with the high-HP Tips (there are some out there!), that if you have lot of HP you might want to tear down your motor at 30k also and it'd be wise to slap in some rods. I know it's not cheap Craig but I think you might be in need of them also man...

So after all is said in done, I might not be the first tip in that shape and I guess the stock rods really are the first weak point when running a very high HP packadge.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
One of these days!

Craig

Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Have you guys ever raced? Sounds like it would be very interesting...you guys and we can thorw Shanks Voper in between to produce some smoke before takeoff! As well isn't CJV building some kind of crazy motor for his car as well?

Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
got any pics? amazing you could bend them that bad and not cause other damage

Old 02-11-2005, 02:09 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Man, now will you guys listen to me??

Old 02-11-2005, 02:16 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
My car is at EVO right now getting those Rods done.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by PorschePhD
Man, now will you guys listen to me??
Your rods didn't bend tho did they? Your bearings looked pretty worn. Mine were about the same...

Anyways I sent off the crank to get crack checked, polish the bearind surfaces, flush oil galley plugs, cross drilled and balanced.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by SteveH
got any pics? amazing you could bend them that bad and not cause other damage
Well I'm replacing my pistons (with ligther weight ones) thanks to some ... ahem minor wear/rubbin'.... I'll post my pics soon but it's nothing exciting. One rod is slightly bent and another looks S-shaped.

Last edited by sharkster; 02-12-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by NoMercy
My car is at EVO right now getting those Rods done.
With the turbos we have now and the boost we can run- good move. Good move indeed man....

Old 02-12-2005, 08:04 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Your rods didn't bend tho did they
No,
but also I purposely did not run over 600HP but for a very short time. When my schedule permitted I finally changed mine. It was a matter of time, not if but when. As I said before the 993TT carries the 996TT DNA and its track record can be followed and the 996TT blanks filled in.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:57 PM
No,
but also I purposely did not run over 600HP but for a very short time. When my schedule permitted I finally changed mine. It was a matter of time, not if but when. As I said before the 993TT carries the 996TT DNA and its track record can be followed and the 996TT blanks filled in.
Got ya... other than rods/bearings everything else was in great great shape so I still think the case/block etc... is pretty darn cool for how well it handles all the abuse we throw at it.

So now that you've done rods are you gonna do the big dawg turbos too

Old 02-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Probably not. To be honest I don't want the lag. I would rather give up the HP for the low end throttle response and overall TQ.

The cases are not a problem. Never have been. In extreme setups simply shuffle pin it and all is well.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Probably not. To be honest I don't want the lag. I would rather give up the HP for the low end throttle response and overall TQ.

The cases are not a problem. Never have been. In extreme setups simply shuffle pin it and all is well.
Yeps there's additional lag with these and I really do like the 640GT/700 turbos for way they spool up. For most folks around here we do the GT640/700 turbos....

I think with my tq converter we're going to get some interesting results. Adam/Anders/Jon figured out some wicked stuff....

Old 02-12-2005, 09:27 PM
. In extreme setups simply shuffle pin it and all is well.
Wouldn't shuffle pinning possibly cause it to weaken?

Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 PM
No, we have done it for years. It will hold the case together. The issue is the two halves moving around. Not a good thing to have happen to the mains. The 2.7 case was a prime example of why we do this. Look at Porsche from the past. BIG HP is nothing new. 962, 935, 956 and so on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Tip to Bend Rods and then some...