996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

help please....jacking the rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 PM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
i want those formula one built-in jacks, easier for dialing the pss-9's.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:14 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by GreggT
Well, please try to re-read Porsche-Tech's post.
He is using the jack points (to support left & right jack stands)........but it's a tad tough to both jack & stand at one point at the same time.....that's why the engine case lift is a good short cut. If you don't have a good (low-rise) jack to do that, you can use the method of jacking right front (at the jacking point) high enough to set jack stand under the right rear........but the the engine shortcut is better/easier (and for low cars, this is often the method shops also use).
I got it the first time. I just want to see a picture of how to jack it up w/o using the jacking points to lift the car in the first place.

Basically, I don't trust myself to choose the right point w/o seeing a picture to compare it to.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:52 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
Pep Boys sells ramps for $50. I use them all the time and trust them a lot more than jack stands.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:46 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
True on the ramps, but for things like brake work, that's not an option.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:40 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
jacks are too cumbersome and not earth quake proof. i just slide an air mattress underneath the car and inflate it. works like a charm.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to see a pic of the contact point for the jack under the car as well.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
2kuhl is on a distinguished road
That was easy

Following the instructions provided on the Imaginauto.com website, I was able to remove the stock exhaust in about 1.5 hours. I put the jack in the middle of the engine with the wood block like everyone said and it was a piece of cake.

Now, just need to find some time to get the Fabspeed installed. Probably another 10 days before I have a chance to get to it with business and travel. At least its 40 and raining out so not like I'm in a big hurry.

Any comments on how easy it is to get all the sensor cables back into the proper retaining clips?

Also have clear side markers on order and will send my rear bumperettes to Eric and have them painted to match the car. By spring, I'll be stylin'.

Thanks for all the help.