996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust won't stop fighting...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Unhappy Exhaust won't stop fighting...

Hey Guys,
Yes its 2AM (est.) and I have spent the last 3 hours trying to get my exhaust back on (had my race pipes on). Took me 15 mins to take the race pipes off and 15 mins to put the exhaust into place. Took me 2 1/2 hours to get nothing else accomplished I have done this so many times, but never had it happen like this!! I cannot get the 4th cat-turbo bolt (engine side, top) on for the life of me on either side!! I cannot get a wrench in there!!! I can't figure this out as I have never had this problem before!! Also our exhaust uses 2 straps on the actual can that hold it to the support and I cannot get one of them around far enough to bolt. Again never had this problem!! Its like someone switched the exhaust on me!!! Very frustrating to end the night/morning with my car still in pieces .
O well, figure I need a fresh start tomorrow
Sorry guys, just had to vent...
Evan

Old 02-19-2005, 12:53 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Take a few deep breaths... and don't be afraid to use a pry bar on the straps

Second on that nut (I know it's hard to get to) but use an angle/crescent style wrench and slowly do it... You'll figure it out.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:26 AM
Kneedrager is on a distinguished road
For that forth bolt, I found a crowfoot wrench (looks like an open end wrench that fits on a ratchet) on a long extension. on a ratchet allowed fairly easy access. Hope it helps.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:30 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Uze Frabba.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:07 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Curved wrench and a crows foot will get it back together. keep every thing loose until that one is tight.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:26 AM
mpwrmodena is on a distinguished road
Yes as porschephd said. You need to just get the nut on all the bolts but dont tighten them yet. After everything is lined up then start bolting down everything. I would suggest buying a Metric set of Snap On Curved, and short box end wrenches. Go take a nap, or get somthing to eat and come back. Fustration makes everything impossible to do.
-Daniel

Old 02-19-2005, 08:35 AM
JakeMate is on a distinguished road
Been there....I feel for you. You'll get it.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:39 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
HAHA, ok guys just woke up (gotta love afternoon classes) and I am running to the store to grab a couple new wrenches to try and a longer bolt for the starps (its only missing by about 2cm's so this is the easy way out). Just very frustrating that I have done this probably 5 times on my car and not once has it taken me more than 2-3 hours on the floor!!!
O well...
Evan
PS-The fact that I just started working out again after about 6months isn't helping, my arms are sore to start

Old 02-19-2005, 08:58 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Be glad that you don't have an NA car exhaust. Many more adjustments required since you have to attach each individual cat, muffler and tip. To get it perfectly lined up for the tips is a pain in the ****. Obstructed bolts like you are experiencing are a pain, however. Best of luck

Old 02-19-2005, 10:51 AM
mpwrmodena is on a distinguished road
Installing a ferrari or lambo exhaust is very hard as well. You have to remove the rear bumper and so on, the whole process is about 4 1/2 hours!!.
-Daniel

Old 02-19-2005, 11:20 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
a longer bolt might seem to be the easy way out. but i think that there must be a reason the orinial bolt is not now fitting correctly. something is askew that should be addressed and might also be the reason the last bolt won't line up. I have found that they fit perfectly when everything is lined up right, but that onle little thing being off throws the whole system out of whack...

so I suggest you get up in there and get the strap straightened out and I bet the rest will fall into place...using a longer bolt is just asking for something to sneak up and bite you down the road when it sorts itself out and that play relocates itself...

dave w

Old 02-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey Guys,
As an update for you guys following my saga
Got the strap done by having someone use plyers and pull with all their might... On the 5th try I was able to get the bolt through!!

Gave up on the 2 bolts (one on each side). Gunna drive down to FVD on Monday and have the tech do it since I don't have the right tools and Home Depot didn't have what I was looking for...

Deff. have an exhaust leak without that one bolt on each side not tightened, but should be ok to get down to FVD....
Evan

Old 02-22-2005, 07:29 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
There is not enough clearance to get a standard 13mm wrench over the nuts. I bought a cheapie 13mm wrench at Pep Boys, cut it in half and ground down the outside of the open end and boxed end. I also dented the cat next to where the turbo stud goes thru the cat flange. I did this by placing a ball peen hammer on the cat and hitting it with another hammer. This created a small dent that permitted adequate wrench clearance.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:56 AM
jayster is on a distinguished road
Hey Evan, still stuck? Give me a heads up when your coming to the shop. I will have an operating table ready for you!
Just bustin...hey that one can be a pain some times, just when you are on the home stretch, something simple f$#%s things up. See ya soon, Jay

Old 02-23-2005, 09:31 AM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
Those top bolts can defiantely be a bugger. Very easy to strip them as well due to the angle. Just be patient and try to get the exhaust up to the proper angle where the bolts will line up correctly and then carefully tighten them all down. Please let us know how you make out Evan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust won't stop fighting...