996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lost my baby...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Topless TTS is on a distinguished road
Lost my baby...

to a 17yo running a red light thru an intersection. Very fortunate absolutely no injuries from both parties. And shocked how well the TTS cab held up with no significant intrusion into the the cabin, not even a scratch on me.
Just found out will be listed as a total. Now need to haggle w- their insur regarding value of car.

Any advice on dealing w- other party insur securing best est of value other than looking at current sale prices on autotrader, etc.? Car was absolutely pristine shape, babied (not just saying), detailed every 2 weeks, seriously looked brand new but had moderate high miles (40k...too great to drive to leave in gargage all time even with another daily), and still under CPO.

Thx

Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
My car was hit by a lady and totalled last summer. I rebuilt it after since the frame was straight.

First up, give insurance co EVERY piece of information regarting the option codes and send a ton of pictures. Make sure you tell them these cars are unique "collector cars". They will usually try to find comps with high miles and these cars drop more than the regular sedan based on miles, since Porsche owners want low mileage cars, or won't seriously pay for them.

So if their comps are high mileage, you have to battle by sending relevant comps and add pricing examples from KBB and Edmunds.

Be really sure to have proof of condition, from every piece of document you can find.

They will also use sold cars, the prices as registered at DMV. That is basically a "fraud" to do that, since there is absolutely no way to establish the condition of those already sold cars, and also no way to guarantee that what was reported as sale price to DMV, was the actual price (cash part can have be going on on the side). Since that can absolutely beyond doubt be verified, using such comps is a violation of the California Dept of Ins regulations. You can just be nice about them and inform them of that should they not know this. They are also not fair comps since there's no way you can go and buy any of those cars to replace your own.

However... my experience is that apart from missing a few options (Which they corrected when pointed out), they will use some pretty relevant comps listed online, and give you a fair deal. Just beware if you have a low mileage car you might have to go one firm round with them before they actually give you a worthy offer.

Sorry for your loss of a beautiful car, also glad there were no serious injuries requiring ambulance transport. Best of luck.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
make sure to stress the limited number of 2005's let alone cab's

Old 09-11-2010, 07:01 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Really sorry for your loss. Hope your able to recoupe and recab!!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
sav911 is on a distinguished road
Document the hell out of it - receipts for any modifications, especially noting where they are not disposable items. Find every comp you can for like miles and year, especially sources like Hemmings, Excellence, Rennlist, etc.

I had basically the same thing happen to me with my 993 - only the kid was 16 in his mother's C-class merc. Even with 139k miles on it, I was able to receive a more than fair settlement, but I had to fight with them over the "collector" status of the car, that the brand new brakes and suspension weren't disposable items, etc. I was able to get more than what I'd had into it, and this was from State Farm, who are notorious cheapskates. The settlement on the medical expenses is another story - that took the better part of a year to recover.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to hear this and pleased to hear all are okay. Good luck with the insurance company. I'm sure everything will work out.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Glad you are OK! Cars can always be replaced. Granted some times it takes longer - especially for cars that received as much attention as Mr. White's.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
vanqui will become famous soon enoughvanqui will become famous soon enough
they usually are pretty reasonable on the value, just make sure you have receipts for any upgrades you have, they will prob want to depreciate them maybe 1/2, but it better than nothing, make sure you call their insurance company and filer the claim, so there's no deductible or record of a claim with your insurance company

Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Topless TTS
to a 17yo running a red light thru an intersection. Very fortunate absolutely no injuries from both parties. And shocked how well the TTS cab held up with no significant intrusion into the the cabin, not even a scratch on me.
Just found out will be listed as a total. Now need to haggle w- their insur regarding value of car.

Any advice on dealing w- other party insur securing best est of value other than looking at current sale prices on autotrader, etc.? Car was absolutely pristine shape, babied (not just saying), detailed every 2 weeks, seriously looked brand new but had moderate high miles (40k...too great to drive to leave in gargage all time even with another daily), and still under CPO.

Thx
The very good news for you is that it was a cpo.

They will use a "service" that "researches" prices (as they say "real sales prices, not asking prices") and comes up with a value of you loss so they can screw you.

Insist on only CPO cars as comps- get into the nitty gritty, demand their comps (ie the cars they are using)... challenge their use of ANY car not sold by a Porsche dealer, since a Porsche dealer is the only one that can sell a CPO... just grind it out.

As others have noted, ADD on the value of mods and service done recently.

And at the end, once you've settled on the value ADD ON THE CALIFORNIA TAX!

Yes, they owe you 8.whatever%.

It is important you leave this out of the discussion until the end- because all their comps and values DO NOT include the tax, so your negotiation should be for the value not the value with tax.

They will likely say "oh we included that" but it is BS. You can also tack on any other fee that you would pay the state for the new car that you 'lost' due to the accident. Note: If you bring this up before you reach an agreed upon value, they will roll it into their offer and 8+% is gone.

Interestingly, they will not want much of this in written/email communications, but insist on it. Most people also rather just talk, but having a final written value before you tell them "now add tax" should be worth
the effort.

Good luck- both your insurer and the other insurer can be an enemy in this little dance...if yours in on your side, lucky you

A

Last edited by ard; 09-12-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 PM
amag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to beholdamag is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to hear that no one was hurt.

Same thing happened to me last Nov when I totaled my 09 CS2, except both my kids were in my car when it got hit, but fortunately no one was hurt. These cars are very well built.

Hopefully you'll be in a new Pcar soon!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 AM
jpohl402 will become famous soon enoughjpohl402 will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear,
but good info in here.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Topless TTS is on a distinguished road
Great points guys, esp from Mr white and Ard...would not have thought of those (particularly Ca tax), and seems easily saving me thousands if can be obtained from insurance co.

Regarding mods, what would be considered disposable (Sachs clutch is only 5k miles)?

What about telling them of flash that was for increased HP, ?? impact safety of driving car (whatever BS they can come up with)? I think upgraded suspension mods would not be a problem (better handling while trying to avoid accident).

THanks again, seemed to have put a better turn on the whole circumstances

Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
No prob- Buddy of mine pocketed an extra $5800 on his settlement with that tactic!

I think part of it is that after pulling all the comps and the back and forth, they really create a record of 'sale prices' that makes it hard for them to say "oh, no, those include tax".

I wouldn't worry about listing 'engine management software' along with "high performance clutch and pressure plate'.

The are not going to review your mods and make determinations as to how safe or unsafe they might have made your car if she was at fault...

Make sure you get that CPO to work for you.... and like I said, come to a written offer based on comps then spring, er add, the tax.

Good Luck

A

Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Sorry for your loss,but happy to know nobody bad injured.I hope you get solve the insurance essue as it must be.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
make sure to stress the limited number of 2005's let alone cab's
plus 1 on that... and sorry for your loss, the car does look really clean from pic, do you have more pics?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lost my baby...